Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five years and homesickness increasing..

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Any idea what the best earth friendly way to produce electricity is?
Nuclear fusion will be, if they ever get it to work. It runs on seawater and produces almost no radioactive waste.

A fusion reactor also produces helium as a waste product, which is also handy as there is a very limited amount of helium found on earth, and it has a number of uses in science and industry, yet quite a lot of the limited supply we have is being pumped into party balloons and then released into the atmosphere.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Actually China is the worse producer of carbon.

Trees actually need carbon to survive.
China is also the most progressive implementer of renewables. It's carbon "share" is decreasing, unlike the US.

The remark that trees need carbon to survive is an immensely irrelevant comment. They also need (for us) to limit the amount of CO2 so as they don't burn all the time, releasing the carbon they store.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Actually China is the worse producer of carbon.

Trees actually need carbon to survive.
Cumulative since 1970, the US is by far the worst emitter of carbon. Right now, per annum, China is worse but how much of their emissions are caused by manufacturing goods that are exported to the US and other countries where presumably there is a demand for these goods.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 11:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Cumulative since 1970, the US is by far the worst emitter of carbon. Right now, per annum, China is worse but how much of their emissions are caused by manufacturing goods that are exported to the US and other countries where presumably there is a demand for these goods.
And China is improving by building windfarms while, in the US, they're digging up more freedom molecules.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And China is improving by building windfarms while, in the US, they're digging up more freedom molecules.
Yeah, there are no windfarms in the US, nor solar projects; in the US you can't even get solar panels to put on your roof.

In other "alternative news" China isn't the world's large consumer of coal, that gets 70% of its power from coal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 5th 2019 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, there are no windfarms in the US, nor solar projects; in the US you can't even get solar panels to put on your roof.
Well yes, on the ground there are efforts at sustainability, the people of the US have not lost their minds. It's only the government that has.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:48 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.intelligentliving.co/amp...mpression=true

Some countries care enough.

I looked into solar panels quite a bit and although I can see that they obviously have an impact initially, they still come out ahead in terms of carbon output over long term. Recycling is becoming more of an option for them which helps to.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

I left for my husband who really wanted to come, although it was my decision to make. I was happy in the UK and loved my life.
That’s me in a nutshell. We moved to the US in June 1996. When people asked what I missed, I said ‘my life’. The life I was used to and the life I didn’t realise I loved. I too moved because of my husband’s job. I was a stay at home mum in the UK, with plenty to do/friends/family. I became a stay at home mum in the US with nothing.

Took me about 15 years to overcome the homesickness. We bought a house in the UK, a house that I didn’t really want, but bought it because it was next door to my sister. Then my dad, FIL and mum died within a year of each other. After that I didn’t feel the need to keep returning. We sold the house and went back purely to see my MIL.

Now hubby is retired he is homesick...me, with the help of St John’s Wort, I just got used to it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 6th 2019 at 2:35 am.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I am an immigrant who has been here for over 50 years and I am more than happy here.

I have nothing to say that would make an unhappy immigrant feel any better, so I'm not going to try.

But the question I have to ask is why do you allow yourself the pain of remaining?

Why not be happy and go where your heart really is?
Old Jun 6th 2019, 1:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
But the question I have to ask is why do you allow yourself the pain of remaining?
I can't say this without sounding sarcastic but there's a spouse and children involved and they appear to be happy staying. It's not a simple choice of just saying "I'm off back to blighty."

Old Jun 6th 2019, 1:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't say this without sounding sarcastic but there's a spouse and children involved and they appear to be happy staying. It's not a simple choice of just saying "I'm off back to blighty."
Far more difficult when others are involved.

I don't enjoy living in Canada really, but only way I can leave is if I left my wife, but I enjoy her company and have her in my life, so in the end its worth staying in Canada even thought I would be happier elsewhere, but only if my wife could come with me.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was reacting to Jerseygirl's post where she said her husband was also homesick.

Nobody mentioned children in any of the posts that I remember reading, although, if we are talking about retirees, wouldn't any children be adults by now.

Your sarcasm is noted.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Poundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
If you intend to make Canada your home, and be a Canadian, then why not buy IN Canada?

To keep buying British means that you are not settling because you haven't tried to "assimilate" as some call it. That word sounds so awful!!!! Like being assimilated into the Borgs in Star Trek

There is nothing from Britain that I long for that I cannot buy here .............. Heinz Salad Dressing and Branston Pickle are both available in my local Safeway/Sobeys, meaty bacon is available from several local butchers and farm markets, OH can easily buy the Clarks' shoes that fit him best from The Bay or independent shoe shops here and elsewhere in Canada, etc etc.

I no longer think that the British clothes that I used to think so good (eg M&S underwear and sweaters) are worth it, I can buy better here.
In shreds after a few washes.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
I was reacting to Jerseygirl's post where she said her husband was also homesick.

Nobody mentioned children in any of the posts that I remember reading, although, if we are talking about retirees, wouldn't any children be adults by now.

Your sarcasm is noted.
If you had quoted my post there wouldn’t have been the confusion.

After posting on BE for 14 years, many know my background story. Hubby always said I only had to say the word and we would move back. I didn’t and we stayed in the US for 18 years, but we always intended to return home once he retired. Our daughter, who was 11 when we moved, went to uni in Toronto, got a job, got married, had a baby and stayed in Toronto.

When hubby retired, instead of moving back to the UK, we decided to give Toronto a try. Hubby is not settled here, I am quite settled and don’t want to leave because our family is here.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 6th 2019 at 2:35 am.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I no longer think that the British clothes that I used to think so good (eg M&S underwear and sweaters) are worth it, I can buy better here.
In shreds after a few washes.
I gave up on M&S underwear over 40 years ago ................ we could buy it in Vancouver at that time, I didn't even have to send to England. A lady owned a very small store on Main Street and used to bring in M&S panties, bras and stockings, the rest of her stock was Canadian or American made.

I saw the quality deteriorate over the 8 or 10 years that I bought from her.

Then M&S opened stores over here in the 1980s, we did buy some things from their stores in Vancouver, and OH is in fact still wearing a velour sweater that he bought back then ....... it still sheds blue bits onto anything worn underneath it! But again, the quality had deteriorated, and I decided it wasn't worth paying more for it than cheaper but much better Canadian or American made things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.