Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Old May 31st 2019, 12:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five years and homesickness increasing..

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Well, funny you should say that but here the Legion suppers are very popular with the teens. Facebook and man buns also seem to be where its at.
Proof that NS is in indeed twenty years behind?
Yeah, I don’t know of any kids my son’s age on Facebook. It’s definitely an older generation thing. Instagram, Snapchat, is where the teens are at. I think there are a lot of young people engaged in politics these day (protest around education has been big around here) and very aware of Climate Change. My son knows who’s been to what protest, it’s being discussed in school not by teachers but by students. The protests in Toronto were big, although admittedly not as big as the UK ones going on. My son commented me to the other day that Doug Ford doesn’t care (discussing tree planing programme being cancelled) because he’ll be dead and it will be his generation that will have to deal with the mess we made. Of course, there will be the vacuous self absorbed, but peer pressure is huge. It’s our generation that need to give up on our way of thinking and will find it the hardest. We grew up thinking we can and should do everything we desire.

I follow various scientists/activists on Twitter. The UK is far ahead in it’s public knowledge than most of Canada and even if it was more mainstream then trying to get people to give up their boats etc would be even harder. At least the UK doesn’t even have most of these things to give up, they have green tariffs in place, the infrastructure is in place to decrease car use, people care there. There’s been a huge swing to green parties. Mostly, though I think if I have to give up long haul flying and live in one place, the the UK with it’s easy train/driving access to Europe would be where it’s at.
Old May 31st 2019, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

Yeah, I don’t know of any kids my son’s age on Facebook. It’s definitely an older generation thing. Instagram, Snapchat, is where the teens are at. I think there are a lot of young people engaged in politics these day (protest around education has been big around here) and very aware of Climate Change. My son knows who’s been to what protest, it’s being discussed in school not by teachers but by students. The protests in Toronto were big, although admittedly not as big as the UK ones going on. My son commented me to the other day that Doug Ford doesn’t care (discussing tree planing programme being cancelled) because he’ll be dead and it will be his generation that will have to deal with the mess we made. Of course, there will be the vacuous self absorbed, but peer pressure is huge. It’s our generation that need to give up on our way of thinking and will find it the hardest. We grew up thinking we can and should do everything we desire.

I follow various scientists/activists on Twitter. The UK is far ahead in it’s public knowledge than most of Canada and even if it was more mainstream then trying to get people to give up their boats etc would be even harder. At least the UK doesn’t even have most of these things to give up, they have green tariffs in place, the infrastructure is in place to decrease car use, people care there. There’s been a huge swing to green parties. Mostly, though I think if I have to give up long haul flying and live in one place, the the UK with it’s easy train/driving access to Europe would be where it’s at.
But cars are huge producers of carbon.

Green parties are increasing in power here. OK, so we are several years behind the UK, but look at the Greens in BC ........... hold the balance of power in the Legislature. The Greens have been elected to the Legislatures in PEI and NB.

It's Ontario that is going backward, along with Alberta.

The difference in election of parties is striking between the centre of Canada, and the coastal Provinces.

Old May 31st 2019, 11:19 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Green parties are increasing in power here. OK, so we are several years behind the UK, but look at the Greens in BC ........... hold the balance of power in the Legislature. The Greens have been elected to the Legislatures in PEI and NB.

The difference in election of parties is striking between the centre of Canada, and the coastal Provinces.
Who said the cars have to produce carbon? Plenty of EV’s out there..
Old May 31st 2019, 11:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think one can reasonably argue that the monster at the controls in Ontario is an aberration; just a symptom of Canadians always needing to do what Americans do; they elect an arsehole, we elect an arsehole. When Trump is gone Ford will be gone.

I have, btw, purchased a yoghurt knitting car. It's fun! The petrol engine would be dead if manufacturers concentrated on electric/hybrid and offered a full range of body styles with ecologically reasonable engines.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Who said the cars have to produce carbon? Plenty of EV’s out there..
Producing the electricity to charge an EV also comes at an environmental cost.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 1:48 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Producing the electricity to charge an EV also comes at an environmental cost.
The UK has powered itself for two weeks on renewable energy, not used coal at all, which is amazing. Solar and wind energy.

That would be the end goal for us, solar panels, electric car.

Last edited by Tirytory; Jun 1st 2019 at 1:50 am.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has powered itself for two weeks on renewable energy, not used coal at all, which is amazing. Solar and wind energy.

Results of a quick google:

Solar panels
are manufactured using hazardous materials, such as sulfuric acid and phosphine gas, which make them difficult to recycle. ... According to an analysis by Environmental Progress, solar panels create about 300 times more toxic waste per unit of electricity generated than nuclear powerplants.Aug 15, 2017
Old Jun 1st 2019, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Solar panels are manufactured using hazardous materials, such as sulfuric acid and phosphine gas, which make them difficult to recycle. ... According to an analysis by Environmental Progress, solar panels create about 300 times more toxic waste per unit of electricity generated than nuclear powerplants.Aug 15, 2017
Any idea what the best earth friendly way to produce electricity is?

Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Over those two weeks gas powered plants produced 40% of the power and nuclear 20% - not all solar and wind
Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Probably a balance of different methods as nothing comes without some cost, which is the point I am trying to make.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's nuclear power. Yes, there's waste that has to be buried on Indian reservations or kept in swimming pools forever and there's the issue of the mutant fish but the power generated by one nuclear power station is tremendous compared with that of an acre of windmills. Mass death is a consideration, of course, Chernobyl would have been a lawful implementation in the US at the time of it exploding. Overall though, if your nuclear plant doesn't explode and you don't much care about the indigenous people and their cancers, it's a lot less ugly than wind farms.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wind Farms and Solar farms come with their own downsides especially for birds and other wildlife.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#257e15643a1c

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually China is the worse producer of carbon.

Trees actually need carbon to survive.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wind Farms and Solar farms come with their own downsides especially for birds and other wildlife.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#257e15643a1c
Err, that article is undiluted nonsense. Sorry.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by shelley748

Trees actually need carbon to survive.
Oh, so I should promote greenery by leaving the hybrid car at home and going everywhere in the Jag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.