Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Old May 30th 2019, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five years and homesickness increasing..

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I sometimes wonder if not loving Canada to the utmost degree and preferring to live elsewhere is an insult to people who have chosen to adopt it as home.
I think it's more that if you're on the British Expats forum, there's just a presumption that you want to probably want to make it work in Canada, and if you're struggling with homesickness, people are going to try and suggest things to resolve that without actually having to return to the UK. People being a bit harsh in this case I think is just to try and help you see things from another perspective you may not have otherwise considered to try and avoid this outcome. The fact that moving back to the UK might also cause friction in your family is why people are trying to come up with alternatives that might make you happier as well as the rest of your family.

That being said it's your life, if the UK is a better fit, then maybe that's the only option. I've always had this belief that the country we're born into isn't necessarily the right fit for us, our values might not line up with the prevailing way people live in that country, so immigrating or returning to your birth country to find that "right fit" is sometimes necessary. I've known two Canadians who actually immigrated to the UK for example, and I supported them in that since they felt it was the best move for them.
Old May 30th 2019, 3:41 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
My profession is very niche and I am well known within my field, if I gave any additional details you'd be able to learn almost everything about me from Google, and I value my privacy. Not to mention some very unflattering, ghastly pictures of me. No thanks!

​​​​​Harsh and defensive are different things though aren't they.

No, what I and others are saying is that if you go back to the UK you risk your husband and son being unhappy like you are now. Is that a price you're prepared to pay?
Haha. A friend recently told me that the trick to photos is to always stand at the back. I’m just genuinely interested in the subject.

Funnily enough, my son has mentioned moving back to the UK when he’s old enough anyway. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, the only real worry is that my husband would find work crazily stressful in the UK although since we’re a simpler, minimalist version of ourselves now😉. I don’t think our wants and desires would require the level of work. You know our tiny home, and electric car, no overseas travel etc etc ..
Old May 30th 2019, 3:44 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Is there some secret trick to the apostrophe that turns it into something else???
Old May 30th 2019, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Haha. A friend recently told me that the trick to photos is to always stand at the back. I’m just genuinely interested in the subject.

Funnily enough, my son has mentioned moving back to the UK when he’s old enough anyway. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, the only real worry is that my husband would find work crazily stressful in the UK although since we’re a simpler, minimalist version of ourselves now😉. I don’t think our wants and desires would require the level of work. You know our tiny home, and electric car, no overseas travel etc etc ..
Yes quite, that or wear sunglasses. It is an interesting field, I am proudly biased

Well in that case why not just move back? Why not use it as an opportunity for your husband to change careers to something less stressful in the UK.
Old May 30th 2019, 4:10 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Yes quite, that or wear sunglasses. It is an interesting field, I am proudly biased

Well in that case why not just move back? Why not use it as an opportunity for your husband to change careers to something less stressful in the UK.
There just seems to be more at stake moving back than there was when we moved here. It would all be on me. What if son does horribly at GCSE’s because we loved him at a crucial point? What if? What if? Maybe I’m less reluctant to take risks as I get older.
Old May 30th 2019, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, my son has mentioned moving back to the UK when he’s old enough anyway. .
Isn't it very likely that the children of ex-pats will move on? They're aware of other countries, they know a move is possible; it seems unlikely that they'd choose to live wherever their parents are. We meet as a family in Switzerland as it's the simplest place for everyone to get to; from wherever they are this year.
Old May 30th 2019, 4:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…... What if son does horribly at GCSE’s because we loved him at a crucial point? ….
Are you suggesting that you love him too much? Maybe regular beatings would help?
Old May 30th 2019, 5:13 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you suggesting that you love him too much? Maybe regular beatings would help?
Ha Ha, it’s meant to be moved...
Old May 30th 2019, 5:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We meet as a family in Switzerland as it's the simplest place for everyone to get to; from wherever they are this year.
Not because it's neutral?

Old May 30th 2019, 5:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not because it's neutral?
That helps. Also chocolate.
Old May 30th 2019, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's never made sense to me either, but I did take that advice and tried it, it did not work, I was still in Canada, just a different part of Canada.

And yes obviously home country/city changes over time like everything else, but a lot of familiar things don't. I have been away from home for 15 years, when I go back while a lot of things have changed, a whole lot also is the same as it was 15 years ago, city's don't change overnight, the new doesn't replace the old overnight, the city is still the city I left, it's just change a bit.

Even though I have been here 14-15 years (cannot recall the exact date anymore I came here) I still feel like I am a visitor here visiting.

I honestly don’t get the logic of:

Feel Homesick? Move to a different part of Canada!

It implies that Canada is the be all and end all and nowhere could be better. I also don’t understand why having worked dam hard to build our network of friends that I would then chuck it all to see if the grass was greener in a different part of Canada.

It may well relate to the fact that we liked where we lived in the UK, and we’d lived in several different parts of it. There was no huge push out of the UK that seems to drive other immigrants.
Old May 30th 2019, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Even though I have been here 14-15 years (cannot recall the exact date anymore I came here) I still feel like I am a visitor here visiting.
That makes me sad, I'm also surprised, there are so many other immigrants in Canada that make it home that being just another immigrant to the country rarely makes me feels out of place.
Old May 30th 2019, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Just to ensure that what I said is not mis-understood .........

I did NOT suggest a move to Vancouver

What I actually suggested was a look at southern BC, which stretches from the coast to the Alberta border, and north to about Kamloops, or maybe as far as Williams Lake.

Unfortunately for my complete understanding of your problem, I'm like raindropsandroses and Oakvillian in that I have never been homesick. We moved on a whim, didn't even really research the country nor the city. We just embraced the new, made friends, learnt about the customs, the history and the political system of the new place.

Both of us had moved a little bit around the UK over the 8-9 years between leaving school and marrying ............ from home town to university, then to Cheshire in my case and to Devon for UK. We both settled down quite happily in the university town and in the places where we worked. Moving and finding our feet was not unusual for us, but the decision to move to another country was an adventure not to be missed, and luckily for us, it turned to be to "our place to live". We left the UK less than 10 days after we married.

What had we left behind? A small family group on both sides, friends who mostly had moved away from home towns either to elsewhere in the UK or to overseas. As I posted, the centre of my home town literally changed enough for me to be lost within 3 years. My home was demolished less than 10 years later. OH's parents moved from the home where he grew up to a small place within 10 years.

Everything had changed within a relatively short period.

I have one first cousin still alive in the UK ........ 1 of her children lives in Sweden, a 2nd lives in Germany, a 3rd in southern England and the 4th still in the same county. 5 first cousins moved to Australia, then their parents followed them. My generation and our children have moved all over the world.

I'm sorry that you have not found "your" place.

But why did you move, apart from your husband's stress. Were you really in favour of the move back then? How will you feel when, no matter what you do now, the day comes when at least one of your children decides to emigrate to another country?
Old May 30th 2019, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's never made sense to me either, but I did take that advice and tried it, it did not work, I was still in Canada, just a different part of Canada.

And yes obviously home country/city changes over time like everything else, but a lot of familiar things don't. I have been away from home for 15 years, when I go back while a lot of things have changed, a whole lot also is the same as it was 15 years ago, city's don't change overnight, the new doesn't replace the old overnight, the city is still the city I left, it's just change a bit.

I'm so sorry to read this, and sad that you have not settled.

Is this a result of your struggles, or the fact that you have never managed to get a settled place to live?

city's don't change overnight, the new doesn't replace the old overnight, the city is still the city I left, it's just change a bit.
Unfortunately that is not always the case in England .............. massive "urban renewals" were undertaken in the late '60s and '70s in towns and cities as slums were demolished and replaced. If you can imagine, it was like demolishing the 20 city blocks squared near where you or I live in Vancouver followed by complete renewal of the area. And with all that happening at once, not sequentially.

The neighbourhood where I lived from the age of 11 underwent that kind of change in the early 70s ............. everything was demolished even though most of the housing stock was in good shape. I look at it on Google and barely recognise anything. They even moved the War Memorial from its prominent position to a much less obvious place.

The whole centre of the big city of Manchester underwent much the same change, although the major buildings survived, roads were re-routed, parks added or taken away.

In some cases, it really is like going to a completely new place. On the other hand, other places haven't changed much in hundreds of years ..... and it is always a bit of a surprise to see that it is almost the same as when you were last there 50 years ago.

We were talking to a friend last weekend who had been raised in Winchester, which has one of the largest cathedrals in Europe, dating back to the 7th century. He went to a school close to the Cathedral, and said that while the streets around the complex are still there and still have the centuries' old names, most of the buildings have been demolished and replaced ............ and he had a struggle finding his way around when he went back on a visit
Old May 30th 2019, 10:15 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by scilly
Just to ensure that what I said is not mis-understood .........

I did NOT suggest a move to Vancouver

What I actually suggested was a look at southern BC, which stretches from the coast to the Alberta border, and north to about Kamloops, or maybe as far as Williams Lake.

Unfortunately for my complete understanding of your problem, I'm like raindropsandroses and Oakvillian in that I have never been homesick. We moved on a whim, didn't even really research the country nor the city. We just embraced the new, made friends, learnt about the customs, the history and the political system of the new place.

Both of us had moved a little bit around the UK over the 8-9 years between leaving school and marrying ............ from home town to university, then to Cheshire in my case and to Devon for UK. We both settled down quite happily in the university town and in the places where we worked. Moving and finding our feet was not unusual for us, but the decision to move to another country was an adventure not to be missed, and luckily for us, it turned to be to "our place to live". We left the UK less than 10 days after we married.

What had we left behind? A small family group on both sides, friends who mostly had moved away from home towns either to elsewhere in the UK or to overseas. As I posted, the centre of my home town literally changed enough for me to be lost within 3 years. My home was demolished less than 10 years later. OH's parents moved from the home where he grew up to a small place within 10 years.

Everything had changed within a relatively short period.

I have one first cousin still alive in the UK ........ 1 of her children lives in Sweden, a 2nd lives in Germany, a 3rd in southern England and the 4th still in the same county. 5 first cousins moved to Australia, then their parents followed them. My generation and our children have moved all over the world.

I'm sorry that you have not found "your" place.

But why did you move, apart from your husband's stress. Were you really in favour of the move back then? How will you feel when, no matter what you do now, the day comes when at least one of your children decides to emigrate to another country?
Maybe we’ll have a new generation of children who don’t think the world is theirs to do with as they please? The youth of today are leading the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.