British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Fitting in to Canadian Society/Life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/fitting-canadian-society-life-720928/)

MrGreen Jun 16th 2011 7:31 pm

Re: Fitting in to Canadian Society/Life

Buy a home in a friendly, established community, introduce yourself to neighbours even though you don't really want to, buy/make a firepit and invite people to sit around it with you, buy a serious BBQ and learn how to cook a great steak, buy ice skates, complete a beginner hockey program and join low-level beer league team with clever name, aquire an insatiable thirst for pilsner/kokanee etc, listen to more rock/80's metal, buy a snowboard and learn how to use it, buy mountain bikes and actually take them up a mountain, buy hiking boots and get them dirty, never say no to an invitation to party, never say no to drinks after work, don't bore people by comparing everything to what things are like in Britain, listen to at least one tragically hip album, go to a Corb Lund gig, go get drunk at the Stampede, eat a corn dog and wake up with a hangover and a cowhide in your living room, watch Hockey Night in Canada and learn at least some of the basics of the game, buy Canadian History for Dummies and read it, buy one of those furry caps with ear flaps for shovelling the drive, develop an obsession for a perfect lawn, learn to take your shoes off when you go into a house, never turn down a drink when someone asks. I think that's about it? Worked for me.

cheeky_monkey Jun 16th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by greenbwoy (Post 9437590)
Buy a home in a friendly, established community, introduce yourself to neighbours even though you don't really want to, buy/make a firepit and invite people to sit around it with you, buy a serious BBQ and learn how to cook a great steak, buy ice skates, complete a beginner hockey program and join low-level beer league team with clever name, aquire an insatiable thirst for pilsner/kokanee etc, listen to more rock/80's metal, buy a snowboard and learn how to use it, buy mountain bikes and actually take them up a mountain, buy hiking boots and get them dirty, never say no to an invitation to party, never say no to drinks after work, don't bore people by comparing everything to what things are like in Britain, listen to at least one tragically hip album, go to a Corb Lund gig, go get drunk at the Stampede, eat a corn dog and wake up with a hangover and a cowhide in your living room, watch Hockey Night in Canada and learn at least some of the basics of the game, buy Canadian History for Dummies and read it, buy one of those furry caps with ear flaps for shovelling the drive, develop an obsession for a perfect lawn, learn to take your shoes off when you go into a house, never turn down a drink when someone asks. I think that's about it? Worked for me.

sounds like torture to me:thumbdown:

AllyS Jun 16th 2011 10:02 pm

I think the book 'How to be a Canadian' springs to mind!!!! :lol:

Partially discharged Jun 16th 2011 10:07 pm

don't bore people by comparing everything to what things are like in Britain, listen to at least one tragically hip album.

I agree with the first part totally but then again there are some posters on this forum who seem to believe that the natives really care about how things in Canada and not like in Britain.....

Now the 2nd part.... about the Tragically Tragic...there is assimilation and then there is taking it too far.

Oink Jun 16th 2011 10:09 pm

Thank God I don't like people. :thumbup:

MrGreen Jun 16th 2011 10:30 pm

I missed 'buy a giant SUV/truck and drive it really badly'.

Steve_P Jun 16th 2011 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by greenbwoy (Post 9437939)
I missed 'buy a giant SUV/truck and drive it really badly'.

It won't win you any friends but you'll feel like you fit in. :sneaky: