Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fish & Chip shops in the Okanagan BC that sell real size chips

Fish & Chip shops in the Okanagan BC that sell real size chips

Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish & Chip shops in the Okanagan BC that sell real size chips

Originally Posted by Lychee
If you get out to Vancouver, try Steveston's Daves Fish & Chips or Pajo's. One of them (I forget which) has the better fish, but the other has the mushy peas. Sadly, mushy peas are an English phenomenon. Canadians won't touch them with a 10 foot pole!
A northern phenomenon. No one has mushy peas with whelks or jellied eels.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Since you seem to know what makes a good "British chippy", why don't youi open one?
Might do one day but think it would be a mobile trailer
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
I stopped by the chip truck beside the liquor store today and got the lady to hold up a chip for me. She said she'll cut them as thick as you want or make wedges if you ask.
Attached Thumbnails Fish & Chip shops in the Okanagan BC that sell real size chips-chip.jpg   Fish & Chip shops in the Okanagan BC that sell real size chips-chip-truck.jpg  
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the smell of the mobile chippie!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:28 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Ships aHoy in Peachland used to be really good but I think it's changed hands now and when we were there this summer we were disappointed.

You could try Codfathers fish market in Kelowna - we pick up seafood there to bring home with us and last time I was there OH picked up chips for lunch and they were handcut and delicious! Their seafood is awesome so I assume that the fish that should accompany the chips are just as good.

Enjoy! J
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Well a couple of weeks ago my wife said she really wanted english fish and chips, A week later when out and about we called into a english run fish and chip shop that lots of people had talked about.

Well we did get the full english experience when we walked in, From the young lad behind the counter who grunted at us as we placed our order only to be told sold out, but we did get our third choice, no non fizzy drinks for the kids meals, plastic table cloths covered in salt and old food, cheap condiments brought from dollar store that leaked when used, microwaved meatless pies, soggy chips, we left most of our food as it was not very good and looking at the tables left uncleared so did most of the other people in that night.

Stopped my wife craving for fish and chips now at least.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

There seem to be quite a few fish and chip shops in St John's and area, though the one that Canadians rave about here, we thought was pretty awful, from poor service to overcooked greasy limp chips and overcooked fish. Most chip shops here seem to overcook the chips. If you ever get out to Newfoundland, try Dicks on Bell Island, we've found it to be the closest to British fish and chips in the area.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC-Roo
If you ever get out to Newfoundland, try Dicks on Bell Island, we've found it to be the closest to British fish and chips in the area.
You already have the structure down - "If ya ever gets out ta the Burin Penninsula b'y just check in every bar on da road and we'll be in one a dem."
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:08 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes they've started me off too....there was always something about the smell of a warm waft of vinegar in the air on a frosty night walking home past a chip shop that will ever be quintessentially Britain.
You are a poet.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Fish & Chip shops in the Okanagan BC that sell real size chips, bean here seven years still have not found a decent chippy any suggestions have a craving coming on
Halibut & Chips at Buy The Sea in Penticton is the best we have found so far!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:28 am
Just Joined

sasha72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Those aren't chip pans but deep fat fryers. The problem with those is that they have a plastic panel containing a microprocessor control system. The plastic panel is mounted above the cooking area so, if you put fat in the fryer and heat it up, the plastic melts, the microprocessor konks out and you're left with a messy metal thing to haul to the dump and no dinner. They're quite pretty but no good for cooking.

What I want is a dedicated saucepan with a basket. Ideally there should be a hook arrangement on the saucepan to allow the basket to be placed over the oil when dripping. Such a device would work not only for chips but for okra and hush puppies. I'm not about to go into a Canadian Tyre but I have looked in various department stores, dedicated kitchen shops and hardware stores without any luck.
Hi we have 2 deep fryers from Canadian tire and my hubby makes the best fish & chips mushy peas from scratch, he makes a beer batter, Cod fish with no problems with the fryers melting.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:35 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You are a poet.
She's a poet
and didn't know it.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sasha72
Hi we have 2 deep fryers from Canadian tire and my hubby makes the best fish & chips mushy peas from scratch, he makes a beer batter, Cod fish with no problems with the fryers melting.
did you manage to get marrowfat peas in Canada then?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:07 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Deep fat fryer. Knife. Potato.
I did giggle.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:17 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Halibut & Chips at Buy The Sea in Penticton is the best we have found so far!
I had the very same at the Black Frog in Gastown on Friday it was excellent. Not a big battered fried piece of cod type person. Prefer mine to be a side of wild sockeye off the BBQ.

Much prefer a Chicken Dansak, which I will be throwing down my Gregory in three weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.