British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   First Winter In Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/first-winter-canada-646117/)

Dowski Dec 25th 2009 6:08 pm

First Winter In Canada

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas in Canada. Especially all those who, like ourselves, have recently arrived and are spending their first Christmas in our new country!

Linda P Dec 25th 2009 7:24 pm

Re: First Winter In Canada

Originally Posted by Dowski (Post 8197065)
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas in Canada. Especially all those who, like ourselves, have recently arrived and are spending their first Christmas in our new country!

Well Merry Christmas to you too!!!!

We have a beautiful day here in Sherwood Park.....the trees are sparkling so much they look like they are covered in diamonds....so pretty!!!!

It is hard being away from loved ones at this time of year.......but Canada is wonderful!!!!!

Linda

JGK Dec 26th 2009 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Dowski (Post 8197065)

Whereabouts are you?

I'm currently spending my first Christmas/Winter in Saskatchewan after 2 in Ontario and 6 in Quebec. It's different in each province but, despite the cold, I'll take a Canadian winter over a UK one every time. :thumbsup:

Mike Bond Dec 26th 2009 1:23 am

we are also spending our first winter in saskatoon and enjoying every minute:thumbsup:

NessieOggy Dec 26th 2009 6:03 pm

Hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas, especially those of you celebrating your first in Canada.

We had a green/brown Christmas here in the Okanagan this year but I have a feeling we'll be seeing lots of the white stuff in January and February to make up for it!

reggaeprincess Dec 27th 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by NessieOggy (Post 8198010)
Hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas, especially those of you celebrating your first in Canada.

We had a green/brown Christmas here in the Okanagan this year but I have a feeling we'll be seeing lots of the white stuff in January and February to make up for it!

Thank you. Just celebrated our first christmas in our new country. Enjoyed it, but a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to a white christmas in GTA.

Auld Yin Dec 27th 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by reggaeprincess (Post 8199737)
Thank you. Just celebrated our first christmas in our new country. Enjoyed it, but a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to a white christmas in GTA.

Those of who have been here in the GTA longer are delighted you're disappointed, lol. Personally I hope it goes on like this until April when Spring will kick in, but I won't hold my breath.

Grendel Dec 28th 2009 2:57 pm

So far, we absolutely love it. Yes, I know we haven't seen the worst Canada has to offer, but up to now it's been great.

We have 2ft of snow here west of Ottawa, and it looks terrific. The -26C temperatures and driving in freezing rain that seems to come straight at you in howling winds have not been much fun, but we accept that's all part of living in the Great White North. Snow tires and warm winter clothing make going out quite possible (if not especially easy, sometimes) and the crisp, clean air is lovely.

We've already found ourselves paraphrasing Crocodile Dundee when speaking to friends and families about the recent conditions in the UK: "Snow? That's not snow. THIS is snow!"