Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First tax return - *Questions*

Wikiposts

First tax return - *Questions*

Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default First tax return - *Questions*

My situation:

. I moved to Canada in August, with my Canadian Partner (Common-Law route)
. I have worked since October
. She was a student until a few years ago and has student tax credits left
. This will be my first Canadian tax return
. We both have all of our T4's

Questions:

. Is it advantageous for us to file together? Or should we just file as individuals?
. As it is my first return, am I correct in thinking that I can't file online, and must send it off on paper?
. Due to this, and if we file together, I take it hers will also need to go via hard-copy?

Any light on the above would be great!

Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:39 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First tax return - *Questions*

Originally Posted by jameswales
My situation:

. I moved to Canada in August, with my Canadian Partner (Common-Law route)
. I have worked since October
. She was a student until a few years ago and has student tax credits left
. This will be my first Canadian tax return
. We both have all of our T4's

Questions:

. Is it advantageous for us to file together? Or should we just file as individuals?
. As it is my first return, am I correct in thinking that I can't file online, and must send it off on paper?
. Due to this, and if we file together, I take it hers will also need to go via hard-copy?

Any light on the above would be great!

Thanks
First return cannot file online.
I believe you file separately anyway, even if you are married.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:38 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
Questions:

Get into the habit of calculating your taxes as a couple. Quite a number of tax credits are transferable between spouses (or equivalent). You can only work out the most advantageous way of claiming them if you do your taxes together. Commercial programs like U-file or Turbo Tax allow you to play with as many scenarios as you like before you finanlise your returns.

Tuition tax credits are also transferable, but only in the year they are earned so you cannot use your OH's.

Correct.

Nope. She can file online. The CRA will match up you SINs.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:47 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Get into the habit of calculating your taxes as a couple. Quite a number of tax credits are transferable between spouses (or equivalent). You can only work out the most advantageous way of claiming them if you do your taxes together. Commercial programs like U-file or Turbo Tax allow you to play with as many scenarios as you like before you finanlise your returns.

Tuition tax credits are also transferable, but only in the year they are earned so you cannot use your OH's.

Correct.

Thanks Jon.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Im " in process", inland route and spent over 6 months in Canada in 2010. Do I obtain a temporary SIN to complete tax return ?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

canmoreskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by badab1ng
Im " in process", inland route and spent over 6 months in Canada in 2010. Do I obtain a temporary SIN to complete tax return ?
If you don't already have a SIN, you could not have worked in Canada; therefore, you would not be required to file a tax return. If you wish to elect to file one, you would need to obtain an Individual Tax Number from CRA (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1...e-fill-06e.pdf)
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
If you don't already have a SIN, you could not have worked in Canada; therefore, you would not be required to file a tax return. If you wish to elect to file one, you would need to obtain an Individual Tax Number from CRA (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1...e-fill-06e.pdf)
I don't have to work to have a Canadian income. I have trust income, shares , dividends etc. Surely this has to be declared and thus I would require a temp SIN ??
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

canmoreskier is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have to work to have a Canadian income. I have trust income, shares , dividends etc. Surely this has to be declared and thus I would require a temp SIN ??
If you are considered non-resident for tax purposes, these types of income would come under the heading Part XIII tax, for which you do not file a return unless electing under section 216 (for example, if you have Canadian rental income).
If you are a resident, why do you not have a SIN already?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
If you are considered non-resident for tax purposes, these types of income would come under the heading Part XIII tax, for which you do not file a return unless electing under section 216 (for example, if you have Canadian rental income).
If you are a resident, why do you not have a SIN already?
PM sent.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:11 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

PM sent.
I am not trying to pick on canmoreskier but I urge you to go see an accountant. Much of what canmoreskier says is very close to being accurate but at the same time flawed.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:19 am
Binned by Muderators

You could be a deemed resident of Canada. What do HMRC think? You can't be tax-resident in both countries at the same time so if HMRC consider you as still tax-resident in the UK then you would be deemed non-resident in Canada. In your situation I would ask for a ruling from HMRC first.

You will need to file an income tax return in Canada, either as a resident or non-resident, unless you are a non-resident and all the income has been subject to non-resident (part XIII) withholding tax.

You will need to apply for a tax identification number.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I hit this problem last year. UFILE wouldn't let me file on-line because as it was the missus's first return - probably to do with the way their software works; before submission it wanted numbers from both mine and the missuses tax return and obviously I couldn't provide hers. Not a big deal as I just printed it out and sent it in.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:47 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I hit this problem last year. UFILE wouldn't let me file on-line because as it was the missus's first return - probably to do with the way their software works; before submission it wanted numbers from both mine and the missuses tax return and obviously I couldn't provide hers. Not a big deal as I just printed it out and sent it in.
My software has the ability to "de-couple" returns once they are ready to file. I wasn't aware that U-File cannot do this.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

My software has the ability to "de-couple" returns once they are ready to file. I wasn't aware that U-File cannot do this.
Maybe they can - it just wasn't obvious. I lived within 5 mins walk of a post office then, so I just sent a printout of what UFILE had generated. We had to post hers anyway so it wasn't a major pain in the arse.