Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First 3 months health insurance

First 3 months health insurance

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Gideon E is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First 3 months health insurance

I arrive in Ontario on August 15th. I know I need private health cover for the first 3 months, and I'd like to sort this before we go. CanadaSure's top plan will cost around £170 for this period and can be purchased online; does this sound reasonable, or can anyone else recommend a better option?

Thanks

Gideon Eames
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:27 am
Just Joined

jo and paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First 3 months health insurance

Originally Posted by Gideon E
I arrive in Ontario on August 15th. I know I need private health cover for the first 3 months, and I'd like to sort this before we go. CanadaSure's top plan will cost around £170 for this period and can be purchased online; does this sound reasonable, or can anyone else recommend a better option?

Thanks

Gideon Eames
We have been here for just three months. We never purchased this type of insurance as we have all always been a healthy bunch (we are a family of four). We looked into the option of having this cover and based on our health record we figured we could probably wait until our coverage was in place.

During this period I did need to see a doctor as I hurt my back whilst playing softball. I had to pay $35.00 to see him and then $41.00 for my prescription. Although I have been told that I can reclaim the $35.00 back now my coverage is in place, I just need to set the ball in motion now. The healthcare cards took two and a half months to come through.

I know its a little risky doing it this way, but it worked for us !!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:54 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Thanks

Gideon Eames
I honestly can't remember what I paid for 3 months coverage, but I know it's not cheap and it usually only covers a medical emergency. Some people on this forum have said they didn't buy the coverage and just took a chance. This is an option for you, but beware that if you do fall ill or have an accident that it can cost ALOT of money to get sorted out. If you are coming over with a family I would definately say to take it out cos you just don't know what might happen. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Good luck in your new life
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Hi there!

You could try one of these:

Blue Cross Canada http://www.bluecross.ca
CAA http://www.central.on.caa.ca/insuran...rsBrochure.pdf
CanadaSure http://canadasure.com/index.php3
Go-Walkabout http://www.go-walkabout.com

I think Go-Walkabout is fairly cheap.

Good luck with the move.

Suze

Thanks

Gideon Eames
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

BLAW is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Toronto July 11th and took out cover with Blue Cross which was $328 for the 3 months. I think the plans all work out to be fairly similar.

Ben.

Thanks

Gideon Eames
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:36 pm
RSK
Forum Regular

RSK is on a distinguished road

I took a $15000 cover for 3 months with $0 deductible for abt $160 premium. The insurance is with Sun alliance. the agent compay I bought it from is;

E T F S Inc
416-413-7674
10 Saint Mary Street,
Toronto, ON M4Y 1P9

just call them and tell them that you want to take a 3 month cover and you are new to the country.

cheers

rsk

Thanks

Gideon Eames
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:40 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jo and paul
We have been here for just three months. We never purchased this type of insurance as we have all always been a healthy bunch (we are a family of four). We looked into the option of having this cover and based on our health record we figured we could probably wait until our coverage was in place.

During this period I did need to see a doctor as I hurt my back whilst playing softball. I had to pay $35.00 to see him and then $41.00 for my prescription. Although I have been told that I can reclaim the $35.00 back now my coverage is in place, I just need to set the ball in motion now. The healthcare cards took two and a half months to come through.

I know its a little risky doing it this way, but it worked for us !!!

Ouch, dunno if I would risk it. A family that overlooked it had to pay for their son's ambulance, plaster cast and xrays - cost 000s (Skateboarding accident 2 weeks after arriving!)

Clare
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: First 3 months health insurance

Many thanks for all your comments and advice. I certainly wouldn't risk not having insurance and will go through either Blue Cross or CanadaSure. Hopefully I won't need it, but you can't put a value on peace of mind!

Thanks all.

Gideon
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:22 am
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Another question on the subject: Do you buy those before or after you arrive in Canada??

Thanks

MCC
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:28 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: First 3 months health insurance

Gideon,

We got a good quote from Pacific Blue Cross as mentioned earlier - two adults, fit well, no health worries - but guess we are a little conservative as we wouldn't risk $000's of med costs e.g. through a not-at-fault auto accident or suchlike.

I think offhand, for the two of us with pretty good cover (extended med and basic dental) it was $70 monthly.

Rich.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:08 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=MCC]Another question on the subject: Do you buy those before or after you arrive in Canada??

Thanks

You can do either, but I think it's easier to sort it out before you leave. Many of the companies put constraints on how long you have after landing before it is too late to apply, anything from 5 - 20 days. I've now done mine online (through CanadaSure) and was able to complete the purchase, including printing out the final policy, in 10 mins.

Hope this helps.

Gideon
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:14 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Gideon E]
Originally Posted by MCC
. I've now done mine online (through CanadaSure) and was able to complete the purchase, including printing out the final policy, in 10 mins.

Gideon
Hey that's cool becuase you can't do that online with Blue +

I might look again !

Rich.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:03 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Rich_007]

Hey that's cool becuase you can't do that online with Blue +

I might look again !

Rich.

Just looked at the Pacific Blue Cross website, and it looks like this is only relevant to Canadian citizens (British Colombia) and not immigrants. I might be wrong, though!

Gideon
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:32 am
Lotus-eater

Gideon,

Pacific Blue Cross does have an obscure link to their landed immigrant policy, I manged to dig it out, their quote online was around $800 for 3 months (and it can be pre-purchased online).

Same cover via Canadasure was $683. Worked out more than we expected, I guess becuase we had got quotes from the normal policy not the landed immigrant policy which adds in the one-way travel insurance

So, many thanks to you for saving me a few bucks with your advice and info

Rich.

Edit: comparison and example rates link below:

http://www.healthquotes.ca/Travel/Vi...ors&Page=Rates

Last edited by Rich_007; Aug 12th 2005 at 11:42 am.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Gideon,

Pacific Blue Cross does have an obscure link to their landed immigrant policy, I manged to dig it out, their quote online was around $800 for 3 months (and it can be pre-purchased online).

Same cover via Canadasure was $683. Worked out more than we expected, I guess becuase we had got quotes from the normal policy not the landed immigrant policy which adds in the one-way travel insurance

So, many thanks to you for saving me a few bucks with your advice and info

Rich.

Edit: comparison and example rates link below:

http://www.healthquotes.ca/Travel/Vi...ors&Page=Rates

My policy with CanadaSure 'only' cost me C$380 for the 3 months. This was their 'Plan B', which covers medical expenses up to C$10,000,000! 'Plan A' is cheaper, but does not give quite as much cover, although it's probably perfectly adequate.

Gideon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.