British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   First 2 Weeks in Canada (Newfoundland) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/first-2-weeks-canada-newfoundland-896678/)

scottabraham13 May 12th 2017 12:42 pm

First 2 Weeks in Canada (Newfoundland)

Hi All, thought I would share the experiences of my first 2 weeks here in Newfoundland.

Firstly, landing at St. John's airport. When I got to the passport desk I just let them know that I was here to land as a permanent resident. The officer just asked me to confirm that I had my papers (which I did) but before I could get them out he directed me to the luggage carousel and asked me to go to the corner of the room where an immigration officer would help me. There was a few people ahead of me who needed work permits so I was hanging around for 20 minutes or so, which was fine (I'd been waiting 4 months for my papers so another short wait was ok!). A lady officer eventually became free and we went through the formalities. I just had to confirm a few details on my COPR and sign. I gave her my Canadian address and she said that my permanent residence card would follow. Pretty low key and easy. She put a stamp in my passport and she was going to let me go before I mentioned to her that I'd produced a list of all of my belongings and there were things to follow. I'm glad I mentioned it as I wouldn't have wanted any issues bringing my stuff over with me next time. She took a couple of photocopies of my list, stamped it and sent me on my way. Welcome to Canada! From what I've read, I get the impression that this process may be a bit more streamlined at other larger airports where they have more people coming in from away, but it was all good.

It's been really easy to get all of the other official stuff done too. I went to my local Service Canada office to get my SIN. Only took 15 minutes, 1 form to fill in and I was away with the number in my hand. I took medical insurance for 3 months before I left but I didn't realize that in Newfoundland they give you your MCP card straight away. Again, I was in and out of the office within 10 minutes. I swapped my driving license over to a Newfoundland one without issue. I paid $133, they hold on to my UK one as its illegal to hold 2 driving licenses in Canada. If I ever need it back then I can just pop in and get it they said. Finally, had a really good meeting with my local Scotiabank branch. We opened a chequing account and savings account within an hour and I walked away with my debit card in hand (you choose a PIN in branch). I used transferwise to transfer some money across.. that worked well too. One thing is that the wiki here mentions the reliance on cheques here in Canada. I'm not sure that's true (here at least). You can do a lot of things online here and my banker said that it wasn't worth me having a chequebook. Something to keep in mind.

All in all, I've had a really good couple of weeks so far. It's helped that I'm still working for my UK company remotely, so I didn't have the extra stress of having to find a job too. Really looking forward to the next chapter in my life!!

Cheers,

Scott

BristolUK May 12th 2017 1:45 pm

Re: First 2 Weeks in Canada (Newfoundland)

Originally Posted by scottabraham13 (Post 12251332)
One thing is that the wiki here mentions the reliance on cheques here in Canada. I'm not sure that's true (here at least). You can do a lot of things online here and my banker said that it wasn't worth me having a chequebook.
Scott

Except for when so many organisations - including banks - demand a void cheque for setting up payments :rofl:

Hurlabrick May 12th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by scottabraham13 (Post 12251332)
Hi All, thought I would share the experiences of my first 2 weeks here in Newfoundland.

Firstly, landing at St. John's airport. When I got to the passport desk I just let them know that I was here to land as a permanent resident. The officer just asked me to confirm that I had my papers (which I did) but before I could get them out he directed me to the luggage carousel and asked me to go to the corner of the room where an immigration officer would help me. There was a few people ahead of me who needed work permits so I was hanging around for 20 minutes or so, which was fine (I'd been waiting 4 months for my papers so another short wait was ok!). A lady officer eventually became free and we went through the formalities. I just had to confirm a few details on my COPR and sign. I gave her my Canadian address and she said that my permanent residence card would follow. Pretty low key and easy. She put a stamp in my passport and she was going to let me go before I mentioned to her that I'd produced a list of all of my belongings and there were things to follow. I'm glad I mentioned it as I wouldn't have wanted any issues bringing my stuff over with me next time. She took a couple of photocopies of my list, stamped it and sent me on my way. Welcome to Canada! From what I've read, I get the impression that this process may be a bit more streamlined at other larger airports where they have more people coming in from away, but it was all good.

It's been really easy to get all of the other official stuff done too. I went to my local Service Canada office to get my SIN. Only took 15 minutes, 1 form to fill in and I was away with the number in my hand. I took medical insurance for 3 months before I left but I didn't realize that in Newfoundland they give you your MCP card straight away. Again, I was in and out of the office within 10 minutes. I swapped my driving license over to a Newfoundland one without issue. I paid $133, they hold on to my UK one as its illegal to hold 2 driving licenses in Canada. If I ever need it back then I can just pop in and get it they said. Finally, had a really good meeting with my local Scotiabank branch. We opened a chequing account and savings account within an hour and I walked away with my debit card in hand (you choose a PIN in branch). I used transferwise to transfer some money across.. that worked well too. One thing is that the wiki here mentions the reliance on cheques here in Canada. I'm not sure that's true (here at least). You can do a lot of things online here and my banker said that it wasn't worth me having a chequebook. Something to keep in mind.

All in all, I've had a really good couple of weeks so far. It's helped that I'm still working for my UK company remotely, so I didn't have the extra stress of having to find a job too. Really looking forward to the next chapter in my life!!

Cheers,

Scott

Really glad it is going well. Congratulations! Have you been 'screeched in' yet? A night out on George Street can get that sorted!

Yes, I have found the Canadian banking 'Interac' system (where you send am email for the payment) works really well. I have had to pay three bills so for and all of them went this route.

dbd33 May 12th 2017 1:56 pm

I don't think we have any cheque books. I can see needing one to set up accounts with utilities and whatnot but, once you're rolling, everything's online. I think the only paper bill that still comes is from Bell and that's just because their website is too difficult to use.

scottabraham13 May 12th 2017 2:02 pm

Yep, was screeched in a couple of years back!! :)

cheeky_monkey May 12th 2017 2:08 pm

i hold 2 driving licences my UK and Canadian one..i gave them a copy of my UK licence when i swapped and kept the real one.

scottabraham13 May 12th 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12251413)
i hold 2 driving licences my UK and Canadian one..i gave them a copy of my UK licence when i swapped and kept the real one.

Interesting. She was quite adament that I wasn't getting my one back! :lol:

Atlantic Xpat May 12th 2017 2:51 pm

Welcome to the Rock. How are you liking the Rain Drizzle & Fog at the moment? It's currently 20C, sunny & cloudy where I am in London.:rofl:

Good to hear that you are getting settled in quickly. Like most people I have a cheque book in theory but in actuality I couldn't actually lay my hands on it and can't recall when I last used it. Probably useful to get one for setting up accounts though & you'll need one if, for example, you go to take finance out on a car. (in my experience.)

As ever, anything I can do to help, just ask.

AX

cheeky_monkey May 12th 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by scottabraham13 (Post 12251428)
Interesting. She was quite adament that I wasn't getting my one back! :lol:

they obviously didn't realise it was copy :thumbup:

Partially discharged May 12th 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12251413)

I know someone from the West Indies who got his licence there, came to Canada had to do his test here, got a licence here and when they were both fairly new he used the one that was advantageous in order to avoid speeding tickets etc as the police officers couldn't be bothered as they thought he wouldn't pay them anyway.

Glad to see things are going well for the OP in Newfoundland. For our family we write few cheques and they tend to be for kids school activities, sports related things. Other than that we pay online or via e-transfer.

dbd33 May 12th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12251467)
I know someone from the West Indies who got his licence there, came to Canada had to do his test here, got a licence here and when they were both fairly new he used the one that was advantageous in order to avoid speeding tickets etc as the police officers couldn't be bothered as they thought he wouldn't pay them anyway.

I still use my UK license in the US. I know it's not valid but the authorities don't and it's better than using the Canadian one as there's a point sharing arrangement with that one. Using the UK one I pay the fines on the spot and the points disappear. In the UK I use the Canadian one as the UK one, paper, no photo, would be obviously invalid to a cop there.

WeeGem May 12th 2017 3:40 pm

Glad it's all going smoothly.

I've only had to use cheques for paying the rent. My employer asked for a void cheque to set up direct deposit and I was able to print one from my online banking site.

I see from your other posts that you're an IT guy. Me too. It try to keep my eyes on IT postings but there's not been that many appearing in my searches recently. I would keep hold of your remote work for a while! What area of IT are you in?

Cheers,

WeeGem

BristolUK May 12th 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12251402)
I don't think we have any cheque books. I can see needing one to set up accounts with utilities and whatnot but, once you're rolling, everything's online. I think the only paper bill that still comes is from Bell and that's just because their website is too difficult to use.

I think I have used more void cheques than written ones. The most recent 'need' of a void cheque was if I want to change from quarterly water bill payments to monthly ones.

I don't even see why they're needed for utility accounts.

If CRA is happy for you to just give the numbers - whether it's for you to pay them or them to pay you - why isn't everyone else?

cheeky_monkey May 12th 2017 4:20 pm

i set up my shaw account without a void cheque just filled in my bank details online

BristolUK May 12th 2017 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12251530)
i set up my shaw account without a void cheque just filled in my bank details online

A few years ago I changed insurance premiums from one bank account to another and the timing was such that the next monthly payment was due before it could be arranged for the new account.

I wrote the insurers a cheque for that month's payment on the account the payments would be coming from thereafter.

Guess what they wanted in addition to the cheque I had just written which had all the same numbers on as a void cheque on the same account would have. :rofl: