Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fintech banks in Canada?

Fintech banks in Canada?

Old Oct 17th 2017, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fintech banks in Canada?

I've been looking recently at UK fintech startups as a way of transferring money cheaply to Canadian dollars. I've found some that look very good and that got me wondering whether there are any equivalents in Canada? I'm thinking of startups and market disruptors that offer better value and lower/no fees services.

I have been very impressed with the range of choice in the UK mobile banking market and the better offer of products that some, FCA regulated and FSCS protected fintech companies are offering. Are there any banks or approved companies in Canada that offer products that contain any of:

- Being able to deposit in one currency and spend in another with no transaction fees beyond the Mastercard/Visa/Interbank day rate.
- App controlled/app only service with real-time alerts on deposits and spending.
- Fee-free banking: no charges for transfers, withdrawals, monthly charges (not including overdrafts, bounced payments, etc).

I understand that Canada's banking system has yet to catch up to much of what we take for granted in the UK, and from what I've read it sounds ripe for structural changes and new competition. I understand this may be beyond what any bank in the country is capable of offering but I just wanted to get a feeling for what the fintech startup scene is like in Canada, and are any of these features offered by any of the major players?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fintech banks in Canada?

Originally Posted by benbb
I've been looking recently at UK fintech startups as a way of transferring money cheaply to Canadian dollars. I've found some that look very good and that got me wondering whether there are any equivalents in Canada? I'm thinking of startups and market disruptors that offer better value and lower/no fees services.

I have been very impressed with the range of choice in the UK mobile banking market and the better offer of products that some, FCA regulated and FSCS protected fintech companies are offering. Are there any banks or approved companies in Canada that offer products that contain any of:

- Being able to deposit in one currency and spend in another with no transaction fees beyond the Mastercard/Visa/Interbank day rate.
- App controlled/app only service with real-time alerts on deposits and spending.
- Fee-free banking: no charges for transfers, withdrawals, monthly charges (not including overdrafts, bounced payments, etc).

I understand that Canada's banking system has yet to catch up to much of what we take for granted in the UK, and from what I've read it sounds ripe for structural changes and new competition. I understand this may be beyond what any bank in the country is capable of offering but I just wanted to get a feeling for what the fintech startup scene is like in Canada, and are any of these features offered by any of the major players?
There's nothing equivalent to, say, Starling Bank in the UK but some of the smaller players here have set up similar things - e.g. EQ Bank. A warning though, the level of service and investment is weak, the main attraction is marginally lower charges and better interest on savings. For money transfer, you can just as easily use TransferWise and CurrencyFair here as you can in the UK so there's no real need for a Canadian alternative.

In general, the banking market here is very uncompetitive compared to the UK, US and other places. The big five have most of the market and rarely undercut each other and it's very difficult for anyone to set up a new schedule 1 bank (equivalent to a clearing bank in the UK) due to legal restrictions on ownership:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/jec/invest/bus...ownership.html