Reload this Page >

finding work in fort mcmurray

Wikiposts

finding work in fort mcmurray

Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Canadian Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default finding work in fort mcmurray

I need to get a job in the oilsands, i have a few leads but nothing firm, i can operate most equipment. Can anybody help me /
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:13 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding work in fort mcmurray

Originally Posted by Canadian Star
I need to get a job in the oilsands, i have a few leads but nothing firm, i can operate most equipment. Can anybody help me /
Yeah, buy a caravan and live in that whilst you are up there. Rent is expensive.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You mentioned you can operate most equipment, but do you have the relevent tickets or licences to do it?

If you don't it will be very difficult to find a job.

Your best bet is to talk to the contractors instead of the mines themselves. Most people want the cushy mine jobs so all the newbies usually start out with the contractors.

You could try North American Construction, it's the only contractor I can think of at the moment. Although there are lots more.

You could also try Diversified as a bus driver for a while. Lots of people get their start driving the buses to and from the mines.

I'm sure you know how expensive it is to live there. It's not ideal but if you can stay in the work camps you can save a lot more money.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, i'' am hoping to work for NAC, i have a friend there, but i need back up in case it doesn't happen
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Hello. Do you have any experience in Industry ? I ask due to your profile saying that you grow daffodils ?? If this is so, plus the fact that you live in a much nicer place - why would you want a job up there ?

I know that if you have the experience then you will be able to get a job, but will still need to do your steam ticket. I am sure that Syncrude etc would put you through it. What would your plan be to commute back and forth and stay in the campus on site whilst working ?

It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are.

Best of luck

JET
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Yes i am a daffodil grower, but i have worked machinery, backhoes (jcb) and loaders plus i have a class two with air, i have also driven tractor trailers (lorries).
I understand there is a lot of work and money up there, i just need someone who can get me started.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:25 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, there's a lot of work & money there. But a lot of that is sucked up if you plan on living there. If you're not planning on living there you'd better plan to be spending most of your time either at work in a camp.

My husband worked for North American last year and his schedule was 11 days on 3 days off, then the same on nights. With only 3 days off it doesn't give you much time to recover or doing anything interesting. We did it for a year while we were living in Fort McMurray and had enough.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:28 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i am a daffodil grower
I'm sure horticulturists are in great demand. Do you have much experience with hydroponics?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

No but i know how to lain water mains.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Sorry I thought you were looking at working in the refinery part - sounds like you worki in the actual mining or want to.

JET
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes. I am willing to do just about anything,everyone tells me there is loads of work up there, but it seems you need to have someone on the inside to get a job introduction. I have friends working on it for me, but need some help if anyone has an inside connection up there.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few good links for jobs here

http://oilsands.infomine.com/careers/