Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding places to Rent from UK

Finding places to Rent from UK

Old Jul 16th 2014, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

rustrash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding places to Rent from UK

yea i understand that looking from there point of view. some guy from another country has texted them asking about there rent. I wouldn't reply!
But what I am doing is explaining my situation as best I can on text and asking to get in contact via email or Skype and still finding it hard.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:45 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Look at it from a landlords perspective. Why would I rent to someone I've never met, or has no job here?
Well some of us (coming out on IEC) need to get accommodation before getting a job. What's your problem if someone can pay 3 months rent up front.

Im the sort of person who wants to meet the landlord first anyway to check they arnt a greedy con artist
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Well some of us (coming out on IEC) need to get accommodation before getting a job. What's your problem if someone can pay 3 months rent up front.

Im the sort of person who wants to meet the landlord first anyway to check they arnt a greedy con artist
Legally I can't take 3 months rent upfront, just a half months security deposit and the first month. I've had post dated cheques bounce previously, so aren't interested in promises of 'I'm looking for work...' That's my problem, in a nutshell.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:54 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rustrash
yea i understand that looking from there point of view. some guy from another country has texted them asking about there rent. I wouldn't reply!
But what I am doing is explaining my situation as best I can on text and asking to get in contact via email or Skype and still finding it hard.
Until you're here in the flesh and ready to sign a contract and pay rent, I think you're highly unlikely to secure something from overseas.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also a landlord and wouldn't rent to anyone looking from the UK, for the same reasons Rich mentioned, and also, there are plenty of well-qualified locals for my place so why would I take the risk on someone who may or may not follow through? It makes no sense.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I'm also a landlord and wouldn't rent to anyone looking from the UK, for the same reasons Rich mentioned, and also, there are plenty of well-qualified locals for my place so why would I take the risk on someone who may or may not follow through? It makes no sense.
Surely if someone was going to be arriving in the next few days and wanting to look at accommodation, if it still wasn't taken would you not reply to them and arrange a time and date for them to view?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:35 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by R I C H
Legally I can't take 3 months rent upfront, just a half months security deposit and the first month. I've had post dated cheques bounce previously, so aren't interested in promises of 'I'm looking for work...' That's my problem, in a nutshell.
Oh so that's 'your problem' then - no need to get funny about it!

So what proof are you looking for an employers contract?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:40 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by rustrash
I'd wait until you get out there and ask the landlord before you sign if you can talk to his/her current tenants who are moving out as to find out what they are like as a landlord I.e. Are they quick with repairs? Are they easy to contact? Etc in the UK the deposit has to be kept in a separate bank account by law, I'm not sure if it's the same in canada/provinces.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 11:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Not in BC.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 11:30 pm
Pea Brain

Oh so that's 'your problem' then - no need to get funny about it!

So what proof are you looking for an employers contract?
You asked what my problem would be, I answered you.

I ask for a personal and professional reference, as most landlords do. If someone's arriving from overseas in a few days and wants an appointment, that's fine, but it's no certainty of securing the accommodation.

I met over a dozen prospective tenants last time I had a vacancy - I pick the one that gives me the best assurances the tenancy is going to be straightforward. An overseas applicant, looking to secure work isn't necessarily the best. Ski resorts have a glut of job seekers each year - I received 50+ resumes for a job posting I placed for a position with my business here in Sun Peaks last winter. When someone arrives in the resort under the assumption that getting work and/or accommodation is going to be a breeze, they might be surprised at the level of competition there is for both.

Last edited by R I C H; Jul 16th 2014 at 11:33 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:52 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if someone was going to be arriving in the next few days and wanting to look at accommodation, if it still wasn't taken would you not reply to them and arrange a time and date for them to view?
The problem is I would have no way of checking references, credit check etc. It would really depend, but we haven't had a shortage of quality applicants in the past so probably I wouldn't consider it, no. There's a lot of competition for decent rentals here - there's a lot of shit out there.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 17th 2014 at 12:56 am.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:30 am
Bex in the city

The problem is I would have no way of checking references, credit check etc. It would really depend, but we haven't had a shortage of quality applicants in the past so probably I wouldn't consider it, no. There's a lot of competition for decent rentals here - there's a lot of shit out there.
If they are coming out to view the property only, why would you need all that credit check, references. Only once you have met them and they actually want to rent from you will you want all that.

I'm talking about that they are arriving in 3 days time to meet with you and look at the property

In regards to a credit check, nothing will come up for me as I don't have Canadian credit history maybe apart from a phone contract (if the phone company agree). Perfect credit history in UK but your not going be able to check that - so where would I stand on that?

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jul 17th 2014 at 6:35 am.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I'm finding this very concerning
I hope to book a week in a hotel and use the time to sort out a place to live, sin card, buy a car, get my son enrolled in school and then start work.

I have a relatively highly paid job in BC (top ten percent I believe) would a letter from my employer confirming this be sufficient reference for a landlord do you think?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 2:48 pm

If they are coming out to view the property only, why would you need all that credit check, references. Only once you have met them and they actually want to rent from you will you want all that.

I'm talking about that they are arriving in 3 days time to meet with you and look at the property

In regards to a credit check, nothing will come up for me as I don't have Canadian credit history maybe apart from a phone contract (if the phone company agree). Perfect credit history in UK but your not going be able to check that - so where would I stand on that?
I think you'll have a harder time renting from rental companies, but most landlords who rent suites in their homes/their own apartment aren't as uptight as me. I'd say the basement suite is your friend. But just be aware some (alot) of them are shitty.

I wouldn't rent to anyone I couldn't run a check on, so there'd be no point coming to see my property, honestly.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:29 pm
Bex in the city

I think you'll have a harder time renting from rental companies, but most landlords who rent suites in their homes/their own apartment aren't as uptight as me. I'd say the basement suite is your friend. But just be aware some (alot) of them are shitty.

I wouldn't rent to anyone I couldn't run a check on, so there'd be no point coming to see my property, honestly.
Luckily I'm not interested in whole proerties. Only a room in a shared house and yes I agree I doubt other landlords will be as uptight as you!

I very much doubt you have seen all the basement suites in Vancouver but then again I'm not interested in a basement suite either.

If the credit check is a problem well then so be it. It seems like it's a catch 22 with this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.