Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding out, your advice.

Wikiposts

Finding out, your advice.

Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:01 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding out, your advice.

Originally Posted by Oink
Not criticism just my opinion.

"me and my family are moving to Canada for our kids."
"is to not idealize"
"pragmatic"
lol still don't get it ... maybe its the end of a long week.

In very real terms our lives will be better for being in Canada - but I'm not idealistic to go out on a wing and a prayer thinking it will naturally be all sunshine and roses - we're being pragmatic (research, savings, support network in place, paperwork in progress, higher potential for higher disposable income etc etc). I've also had firsthand experience of life in Canada as a teenager and adult so know the cultural & sociological differences firsthand (hubby may well be idealizing as he has only ever been out on holidays which we all know is a different kettle of fish entirely).

Unless you're meaning something else - in which case pls do share - it's good to get people's thoughts as it can get the thinking wheels in motion if you've not thought of something yourself.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
lol still don't get it ... maybe its the end of a long week.

In very real terms our lives will be better for being in Canada - but I'm not idealistic to go out on a wing and a prayer thinking it will naturally be all sunshine and roses - we're being pragmatic (research, savings, support network in place, paperwork in progress, higher potential for higher disposable income etc etc). I've also had firsthand experience of life in Canada as a teenager and adult so know the cultural & sociological differences firsthand (hubby may well be idealizing as he has only ever been out on holidays which we all know is a different kettle of fish entirely).

Unless you're meaning something else - in which case pls do share - it's good to get people's thoughts as it can get the thinking wheels in motion if you've not thought of something yourself.
Without knowing your particular details, in general terms I suppose, if you were going to be pragmatic you would look at the research on academic success and life chances within and between developed nations. The biggest variable is not the country per se but the parents' academic achievement level, in particular the mother's. Income also plays a significant role but is not as crucial.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:09 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, ok, I see where you're coming from.

Yes - I think our focus is more on life choices / opportunities / chances / style rather than academia per se (both of us are degree level graduates). Personally I wouldn't care if they were neuro-biologists, ski instructors or plumbers as long as they were happy and well-rounded in themselves. Not done any research as such on those topics other than looking at our income ratios which are better in Canada than here, hence acknowledging a higher opportunity for disposable income affording us more options for life experiences. And knowing that WE'LL be more relaxed, the atmosphere more relaxed and unstressed parents = happier home. The rest is up to them as they get older and start making their own decisions - the world is getting smaller and smaller - and you watch they'll decide to come to Europe when they're older, which in many ways is awesome and funny. But ultimately in order for us to be able to give them that opportunity it means leaving here.
We've often said how when they're older we'll encourage them to travel, come to London (which is an amazing city that we've loved living in), stretch their wings - I'm all for that having globe-trotted myself.

Thanks for your thoughts Oink - its always good to make sure all things are considered ... you may well have brought something up I/we've not thought about but we have done a considerable amount of thinking, soul searching and planning on this one. As we're not financially in a place to be able to jump without looking it certainly has forced us to consider all the options (including staying here).

Edited to add: Just didn't want OP to think it was all doom and gloom with all the naysayers ... or to think that moving for your kids was such a bad thing ... if you're smart about it it can be a great thing.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:31 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids AnneMarie?

I can relate to many of the positives you state on Canada, but I am less convinced on some of the negatives you state on Britain. I think a lot of times in the UK it depends on where you choose to live and work.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

AnnemarieC, out of interest, whereabouts in the UK are you?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How old are your kids AnneMarie?

I can relate to many of the positives you state on Canada, but I am less convinced on some of the negatives you state on Britain. I think a lot of times in the UK it depends on where you choose to live and work.
+1. We posted at the same time but I was also wondering where AM was living. If she's somewhere like London then it makes sense I guess!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:38 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. We posted at the same time but I was also wondering where AM was living. If she's somewhere like London then it makes sense I guess!
Yes. . Have you battened down the hatches yet for the St Jude (the big storm). Quiet so far, I'm almost having a Michael Fish moment
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:50 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

Yes - we're currently in SE London. (Ottawa as of Nov 12 - whoop!). Many of my friends who're starting families have moved out of London, and had we decided to stay then we'd have done that too. But as we CAN go to Canada with relative ease then its the preferred choice

Kids are currently 21mths and twinkle in the eye (aka planning for next year once hubby's able to work).

Hatches battened - though ridiculously decided to wash the curtains tonight so might be a bit "rattly" lol.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes. . Have you battened down the hatches yet for the St Jude (the big storm). Quiet so far, I'm almost having a Michael Fish moment
I'm actually in Cornwall this week, no sign of it so far. Rain but that's it. Looking forward to watching the waves crash on to the beach tomorrow from the comfort of a warm chair by the fire!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Yes - we're currently in SE London
Ah, no wonder you think it's crowded etc then! If you were in a friendly village community with a small school surrounded by fields then I'd guess you'd feel rather different about the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:37 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm actually in Cornwall this week, no sign of it so far. Rain but that's it. Looking forward to watching the waves crash on to the beach tomorrow from the comfort of a warm chair by the fire!
Sounds like you'll have a front row seat! Max wind will be 1am - 5 am down there. The Met Office is doing a twitter feed on it.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Sounds like you'll have a front row seat! Max wind will be 1am - 5 am down there. The Met Office is doing a twitter feed on it.
Twitter's a bit advanced for a Luddite like me.

Front row seat indeed, will see what tomorrow brings!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navinder
i have moved to Vancouver and my partner loves it but i found it difficult. The cost of living, ( food, clothes ) is higher then uk. Property is expensive and uncertainty of the market.
School days are shorter then the Uk and a friend said are kids were advanced in the uk but have not had personally experience.
YOu need to think about the health service.

i am thinking of moving back to the uk
If that's what you think, then I agree on all points - do it

It seems like another whinging pom immigrant forever doing the comparisons & homesickness ....makes you wonder why they emigrate in the first place
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:45 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by not2old
If that's what you think, then I agree on all points - do it

It seems like another whinging pom immigrant forever doing the comparisons & homesickness ....makes you wonder why they emigrate in the first place
Doing comparisons and homesickness is normal, doesn't make me wonder at all.