finding jobs

Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough
Default finding jobs

Hi guys. I find it very difficult to get into my field of work (Radiography). I am still waiting for my CAMRT results. In the meanwhile sent more than 20 resume to different clinics and hospitals but not even one call or email. Kind of losing hope. Applied for couple of sales associate jobs and no success yet!!!
I need help with my resume. Does my resume should be different when I apply for different job for example sales?
Any advice for finding a job for time being is appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: finding jobs

Originally Posted by heidi40
Hi guys. I find it very difficult to get into my field of work (Radiography). I am still waiting for my CAMRT results. In the meanwhile sent more than 20 resume to different clinics and hospitals but not even one call or email. Kind of losing hope. Applied for couple of sales associate jobs and no success yet!!!
I need help with my resume. Does my resume should be different when I apply for different job for example sales?
Hi,
It definately is not what you know but who you know in Canada.
Networking is huge, and often just being in the right place at the right time.
Could you get in at a hospital doing some volunteer work?
I would be inclined to tweak your resume depending on the type of job you are applying for.
Another thing to try would be thinking about local businesses that you might like to work for in the meantime and drop your resume in. That way if an opening comes up, they already have someone willing to fill it.
Whereabouts are you based?
Whats the local job market like?
Good luck, its frustrating but once you get in somewhere, it makes life a whole lot easier finding other work.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:40 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Heidi
I would suggest that you make some phone calls to the chief technologists at each place rather than sending resumes off into the void. That's what it feels like I know. See if you can find out the names of the people beforehand. For the clinics you might need to turn up clutching a copy of your resume.

If you want me to look over your resume then email it, I's be happy to help for the radiography side of things. You would need a different resume for those jobs, and possibly even for radiography depending on whether clinic or hospital based.

Do you attach a covering letter? That's essential here.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Hi Heidi
I would suggest that you make some phone calls to the chief technologists at each place rather than sending resumes off into the void. That's what it feels like I know. See if you can find out the names of the people beforehand. For the clinics you might need to turn up clutching a copy of your resume.

If you want me to look over your resume then email it, I's be happy to help for the radiography side of things. You would need a different resume for those jobs, and possibly even for radiography depending on whether clinic or hospital based.

Do you attach a covering letter? That's essential here.
Hi Fledermaus

Nice to hear from you. I am volunteering in a hospital and getting to know people but all I hear is that there is no opening at the moments. Thank you for your offer to check my resume. I would really appreciate that. I will pm you. Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Hi,
It definately is not what you know but who you know in Canada.
Networking is huge, and often just being in the right place at the right time.
Could you get in at a hospital doing some volunteer work?
I would be inclined to tweak your resume depending on the type of job you are applying for.
Another thing to try would be thinking about local businesses that you might like to work for in the meantime and drop your resume in. That way if an opening comes up, they already have someone willing to fill it.
Whereabouts are you based?
Whats the local job market like?
Good luck, its frustrating but once you get in somewhere, it makes life a whole lot easier finding other work.
Hi lucyloverlock. thanks for your reply. I am actually volunteering at the moment and it is great but no luck at the moment.We live in north vancouver and I don't think local job market is great. But I will try more.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:54 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, absolutely. Your resume and cover letter need to be targeted for each position you apply for. You need to make it clear to the employer how the skills and experience you have make you the perfect fit for the job you are applying for.

If you are applying for sales jobs as a backup your resume and cover letter need to offer no hint that you would take a radiographer job if you were offered one.

And yes, the networking is important.

It is dispiriting, especially as you feel on the outside as a new immigrant. But keep in mind that Canadians like positive people so keep your facade up. And your chin. You will find something before too long.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes, absolutely. Your resume and cover letter need to be targeted for each position you apply for. You need to make it clear to the employer how the skills and experience you have make you the perfect fit for the job you are applying for.

If you are applying for sales jobs as a backup your resume and cover letter need to offer no hint that you would take a radiographer job if you were offered one.

And yes, the networking is important.

It is dispiriting, especially as you feel on the outside as a new immigrant. But keep in mind that Canadians like positive people so keep your facade up. And your chin. You will find something before too long.

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice. I will try to work on my resume and be a bit more positive.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree about the positive nature, its definately helped me get along in the five years we have been here.
I worked in Starbucks when we first arrived, and it was a lot of fun! Pay wasnt great, but the free coffee was awesome!
Then I worked as an Optometrists assistant, another fun job, not the greatest pay, but I got that job because the HR lady there used to come to starbucks every day and said when she saw me drop my resume off, she wanted to hire me on the spot because she liked my cheery face every day at starbucks!
Helps living in a small town too!
Keep us posted how you get on!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
I agree about the positive nature, its definately helped me get along in the five years we have been here.
I worked in Starbucks when we first arrived, and it was a lot of fun! Pay wasnt great, but the free coffee was awesome!
Then I worked as an Optometrists assistant, another fun job, not the greatest pay, but I got that job because the HR lady there used to come to starbucks every day and said when she saw me drop my resume off, she wanted to hire me on the spot because she liked my cheery face every day at starbucks!
Helps living in a small town too!
Keep us posted how you get on!
Thank you for your reply. I will try to be more positive and don't expect too much of myself to start with. You guys are great. I will definitely keep you posted.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:35 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

@heidi40

Have you looked into the employment centres in your local areas? They offer free help to immigrants on all aspects of job hunting. Including workshops on resumes, networking, interview coaching etc.

My wife was an engineer in the UK but said she wanted to do a part time sales job, I re-wrote her resume and did a nice job of explaining the change in role in the covering letters. She picked up a job in a local shop on her first attempt, so it is possible.

Cheers

JB

Last edited by JB0591; Feb 15th 2011 at 1:37 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JB0591
@heidi40

Have you looked into the employment centres in your local areas? They offer free help to immigrants on all aspects of job hunting. Including workshops on resumes, networking, interview coaching etc.

My wife was an engineer in the UK but said she wanted to do a part time sales job, I re-wrote her resume and did a nice job of explaining the change in role in the covering letters. She picked up a job in a local shop on her first attempt, so it is possible.

Cheers

JB
Thank you for your advice. I will try to find this centers and get more help.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:14 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your advice. I will try to find this centers and get more help.
Hi

I should say the centre I use is the Y employment centre, part of YMCA. There are others.

Cheers

JB
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JB0591
Hi

I should say the centre I use is the Y employment centre, part of YMCA. There are others.

Cheers

JB
Many Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all

I don't wish to derail Heidi40's thread, but I don't see a point in making a new one when there seems to have been some more radiographers find their way in here.

So can I quickly ask, did you guys do the CAMRT exam before / after / during getting a PR.

I read that there website had a jobs database for members on it, but I'm guessing if heidi is having trouble its not as good as all that, so next question.

Once passing CAMRT, did you reigster for multiple provinces of interest and hope to find a job in one, or look for a job then apply to that provinces gov body if you found one?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

insearchoflife will become famous soon enough

Hope you find a job there. I am currently working in the health service and hoping to immigrate to Canada by next year. Do they have jobs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.