Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding a job before moving to Canada?

Finding a job before moving to Canada?

Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding a job before moving to Canada?

I have been reading up online about how to prepare a resume in Canadian format and search for jobs. One article advises to include a Canadian address and local mobile no.

I wondered if it is possible to get a mobile phone when doing a soft landing to activate the visa? For example, could I just get a 'pay as you go' SIM card and use it to take calls when back in the UK? and then use a friend's address for correspondence.

Be useful to hear some experiences on this.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job before moving to Canada?

If you use a Canadian address and get invited for an interview same week, can you jump on a plane get here right away?
So long as you have a valid residency permit and can start work right away, better to be up front in my view as an employer.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, would you include PR status on your resume?
Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
Thanks, would you include PR status on your resume?
Yes. You can say "Permanent Resident - Authorised to work in Canada".
Old Jul 14th 2018, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the UK Job Market is different these days - Have I been in Canada "that long"? There's two very similar posts on this subject right now........

Realistically, unless you are super special and all qualified up and licensed to work in Canada - You wont get a job offer without being in a position to attend an interview (today, tomorrow, Monday)

As a recruiter in Canada (Ontario) we will not even talk / respond to anyone not ready to start work "next week"
We are not looking for exceptional, highly qualified personnel though. Just minimum wage entry level, no experience necessary folks.

What is you chosen profession in Canada? Do you have Canadian Experience? (Hahaha - They will ask)
Do you have the required provincial license to carry out the chosen work? (everything needs a license - even cutting hair).

Let go with a few more details, location, qualifications, experience, career path and maybe there will be a few more response from those that know - Best of Luck
Old Jul 14th 2018, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I had not realised there was a duplicate thread when I posted...

I work in PMO / project management for a large global management consultancy and have about 10 years experience, multiple-industries. In the past I have found companies wiling to hold a first interview via Skype, then a face to face if I am on the final shortlist. I guess I am trying to find a way to get past the initial hurdle of at least getting a phone call and then hopefully tying in an interview with my soft landing. I read some articles online advising my to use a Canadian address and local number but appreciate the comments noted above.

I currently have a good job and feel a bit nervous of leaving it and looking for something when I get there. In my experience it takes around 3+ months to find something depending on the time of year and I am anticipating quite a lot of upfront costs when I get there. Ideally would like to transfer with my existing company, but can only do this if there is a relevant vacancy.

From reading other threads it looks like finding a job whilst outside Canada is extremely difficult.

I am looking at Vancouver as first choice, but would definitely consider Montreal (but don't speak French ) and Calgary. Ideally within a one hour drive from the mountains and coast or lakes.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I had not realised there was a duplicate thread when I posted...

I work in PMO / project management for a large global management consultancy and have about 10 years experience, multiple-industries. In the past I have found companies wiling to hold a first interview via Skype, then a face to face if I am on the final shortlist. I guess I am trying to find a way to get past the initial hurdle of at least getting a phone call and then hopefully tying in an interview with my soft landing. I read some articles online advising my to use a Canadian address and local number but appreciate the comments noted above.

I currently have a good job and feel a bit nervous of leaving it and looking for something when I get there. In my experience it takes around 3+ months to find something depending on the time of year and I am anticipating quite a lot of upfront costs when I get there. Ideally would like to transfer with my existing company, but can only do this if there is a relevant vacancy.

From reading other threads it looks like finding a job whilst outside Canada is extremely difficult.

I am looking at Vancouver as first choice, but would definitely consider Montreal (but don't speak French ) and Calgary. Ideally within a one hour drive from the mountains and coast or lakes.

Welcome to BE!

Yes, it won't be easy, that's for sure - particularly as it's not particularly a niche profession.

I made a few comments about obtaining a Canada based cell phone number on another thread, but the main point was - if you get a phone call at 10pm asking you to come in for an interview the next day, what are you going to do? One thing I would suggest is that you get a .ca email address (yahoo perhaps - no isp needed then) - or at minimum a .com one such as Gmail.

Have you looked at our wiki?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 14th 2018 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 2:45 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

As a hiring manager (ans employee) i can tell you that I have never expected anyone to be available for an interview the next day and it's never been expected of me.
in my experience availability to attend interviews is similar to the UK, usually within a week or so.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
As a hiring manager (ans employee) i can tell you that I have never expected anyone to be available for an interview the next day and it's never been expected of me.
in my experience availability to attend interviews is similar to the UK, usually within a week or so.

I deliberately made the 'next day' comment - unusual though it may be, as it can and DOES happen. Just because the company you work for in NS doesn't expect it, doesn't mean that others in Toronto or Vancouver may not have different requirements - perhaps an urgent position that needs to be filled... or a deadline to meet. An extreme example, yes. of course - BUT!! Sod's law (or Murphy's law) would dictate that they could be invited for interview at short notice - or even if it were a whole week, if they are in the UK, working.. needing to give advance notice to take 3 days (minimum) off, it would not be such a simple matter - flights need to be booked, accommodation arranged, time off sorted out. Then what do they do? Tell the company 'sorry, I am not in Canada.. ignore what I might have said in my cover letter!' ??? And how to explain that they are actually in the UK and using a Canadian phone number and then have to give notice at work / arrange flights etc.. without blowing the chance of actually getting the job?

Far better to be up front and honest, wouldn't you say - with a skype contact perhaps? Or if someone applied to a job where you are in HR, implied that they were actually in Canada with a Canadian phone number, email etc., would you feel they were being a little deceptive, or would you be fine with it?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 15th 2018 at 4:31 am.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's the point. They can ask for an interview tomorrow and a start date of immediately.

Having worked in an environment that relied on overseas recruitment - put yourself in the shoes of the company. One of the problems with that is when you have a big "gap" between hiring (contract offer) date, and start date, is that the people you hire don't always turn up. That happens a lot more often than people realise.

Let's say there is a 90 day wait period. Anything can happen. What if OP gets a better offer from a competitor? What if OP's UK company offers a 15% raise to stay? What if mum throws a temper tantrum about him leaving and threatens to disown him if he leaves? What if a long-lost love interest suddenly comes back and wants to get together again? Or OP just suddenly gets cold feet about the whole thing? I'll tell you what happens - the company gets a call saying "Sorry, grandma's suddenly gotten very ill / had a terrible accident / etc, I can't come" and then the company has to start a laborious search all over again, having just lost six weeks or so, and a lot of people in the office have egg on their face.

OR when the application gets forwarded to HR for processing it turns out "I have permanent residence" really meant "I have applied for permanent residence" or "I think I can get permanent residence because I have a cousin who lives in Canada and that gets me a family visa, right?"

Not suggesting OP would do this, or is in that situation, but many can, do, and are, people will act in their own personal interests and in such cases the consequences are borne entirely by the company and not by the employee who has reneged.

If one is head-hunted specifically for a certain role, that is a different situation. But in a context where there are 50 applicants . . .

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 15th 2018 at 9:41 am.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. Based on comments it’s looking like the only real option to find work is to resign and then apply for work once settled out there therefore maybe wise to have sufficient funds for 3-4 months.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 2:38 pm
Banned

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. Based on comments it’s looking like the only real option to find work is to resign and then apply for work once settled out there therefore maybe wise to have sufficient funds for 3-4 months.
It's always wise to have sufficient funds for at least that, the recommendation is for 6 months worth of living expenses at a minimum (unless you happen to be coming over as a sponsored spouse with an already established Citizen, who has employment, accommodation etc., already) - moving overseas and 'starting over' is an expensive business... and BC is nicknamed "Bring Cash" for a reason!

Perhaps you could make your 'soft landing' a little longer and a bit of a recce trip - shake some hands, arrange a few meetings and make some connections - to make your transition a little easier. You could get a .ca email (or gmail.com) and give a skype contact/phone number - and mention in your applications that you are a Permanent Resident (with the right to work) and will be in City name / Canada during the week of 'xyz' for meetings and interviews.. and see if anyone bites.

Have you had a read over the wiki on job hunting? The biggest thing is you need to be here to knock on doors and shake hands.. even if it's only for a week or so - unless you have a niche profession that is likely to get you head hunted! Additionally, there's a list of a few agencies that might help you with the job hunt.. and LinkedIn is often useful for making connections.

You don't necessarily need to resign from your job immediately, but have a plan and a date in mind when you will relocate permanently and work towards that - because that is one question you will be asked "when can you start" - and a vague response or a date that is months away isn't going to cut it. Best of luck

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 15th 2018 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever had two jobs since leaving the UK ............ both wanted me to go for an interview the next day, or the day after that at the latest.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In this workplace it is routine to hire people who are physically in other countries at the time of hiring and who are then expected to get themselves here (this on a contract basis). Interviews have to be arranged around time differences and are usually set up within a week of first contact Telephones are commonly used as there's no expectation that people look in real life as they do on linkedin and few people look good enough that the interviewers' lives will be improved by looking at them; thus a video link is a bother for no good purpose. In shockingly many years of being involved with hiring and firing in Canada I have only ever seen the expression "Canadian Experience" on this board (it's like winter tyres in that regard). It is truly the case that, in the computer business, the location in which experience was gained means nothing at all.

I would not move to a foreign country without a job to go to (well, unless it was a tropical paradise).
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
In this workplace it is routine to hire people who are physically in other countries at the time of hiring and who are then expected to get themselves here (this on a contract basis). Interviews have to be arranged around time differences and are usually set up within a week of first contact Telephones are commonly used as there's no expectation that people look in real life as they do on linkedin and few people look good enough that the interviewers' lives will be improved by looking at them; thus a video link is a bother for no good purpose. In shockingly many years of being involved with hiring and firing in Canada I have only ever seen the expression "Canadian Experience" on this board (it's like winter tyres in that regard). It is truly the case that, in the computer business, the location in which experience was gained means nothing at all.

I would not move to a foreign country without a job to go to (well, unless it was a tropical paradise).
Thanks, this is promising info and advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.