Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding childcare in calgary

Finding childcare in calgary

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:28 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: UK Cumbria
Posts: 41
Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding childcare in calgary

Hi, We are currently looking for part time child care for our 3.5 year old boy and before school care for our 7.5 yearold boy. We are living in the community of Cranston and our eldest attends cranston elementry and will be going into year 3 in the fall. We are finding it really hard to find childcare that will offer both boys the care we require. Its probably a long shot but we were wondering if anyone new of or could recommend any dayhomes/daycare in or close to cranston.
Thanks for reading
Wendy
Martyn and Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:55 am
  #2  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding childcare in calgary

good luck, I had similiar trouble finding something I am happy with in NS
Howefamily is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:45 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: UK Cumbria
Posts: 41
Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding childcare in calgary

Originally Posted by Howefamily
good luck, I had similiar trouble finding something I am happy with in NS
Thanks, Is hard trying to decide which stranger to leave your kids with isnt it
Martyn and Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:15 pm
  #4  
Happy Bunnies
 
Flossie and Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NW Calgary
Posts: 1,371
Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding childcare in calgary

Its a long shot but do your employers have any links with daycares e.g. some employers can get daycare places within a certain amount of time, or could there be a daycare close to work/on the route to work if there is nothing around in Cranston? You might have to look a little further afield - McKenzie Towne always seems to have loads of dayhomes, for example.

I'm guessing the school doesn't run an after school care program.

Otherwise, there are some agencies to try here:
http://www.calgarychildcare.org/Agencies.html

and day homes here:
http://members.shaw.ca/parentsandpro...rydayhomes.htm
http://www.dayhomesincalgary.com/
http://www.discovercalgary.com/Calga...dex/ChildCare/

There is also Kijiji too.

Its hard to find a day home unless you have a recommendation really.

Good luck!
Flossie and Jim is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:50 pm
  #5  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding childcare in calgary

Originally Posted by Martyn and Wendy
Thanks, Is hard trying to decide which stranger to leave your kids with isnt it
It is hard, but I have always had to leave my children in Daycare so I am used to that element. The bit that I wasnt expecting (for some reason, dont know why) was the difference in the level of care in the daycare here.

The nursery we used in England for so long seemed to be more affectionate towards the children with lots of structure and I was happy to leave my children there. I had lots of information given to me at the end of the day re what they had eaten and what they had done during the day.
Its just not the same here, too few daycares with too many children. There doesnt seem to be the same level of affection towards the children.

Personally I cant wait to get my youngest into school.
Howefamily is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2011, 11:29 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: UK Cumbria
Posts: 41
Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding childcare in calgary

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Its a long shot but do your employers have any links with daycares e.g. some employers can get daycare places within a certain amount of time, or could there be a daycare close to work/on the route to work if there is nothing around in Cranston? You might have to look a little further afield - McKenzie Towne always seems to have loads of dayhomes, for example.

I'm guessing the school doesn't run an after school care program.

Otherwise, there are some agencies to try here:
http://www.calgarychildcare.org/Agencies.html

and day homes here:
http://members.shaw.ca/parentsandpro...rydayhomes.htm
http://www.dayhomesincalgary.com/
http://www.discovercalgary.com/Calga...dex/ChildCare/

There is also Kijiji too.

Its hard to find a day home unless you have a recommendation really.

Good luck!
Thanks, checked kijiji out went to visit a few dayhomes yesterday and found someone who I think is perfect, exactly what I was looking for. thankyou
Martyn and Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2011, 11:33 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: UK Cumbria
Posts: 41
Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding childcare in calgary

Originally Posted by Howefamily
It is hard, but I have always had to leave my children in Daycare so I am used to that element. The bit that I wasnt expecting (for some reason, dont know why) was the difference in the level of care in the daycare here.

The nursery we used in England for so long seemed to be more affectionate towards the children with lots of structure and I was happy to leave my children there. I had lots of information given to me at the end of the day re what they had eaten and what they had done during the day.
Its just not the same here, too few daycares with too many children. There doesnt seem to be the same level of affection towards the children.

Personally I cant wait to get my youngest into school.
I'm really looking forward to getting mine into school too, only another 2 years counting down already, daycare is just so expensive and having to pay for preschool Ontop of that too!! Thanks for the advice.
Martyn and Wendy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.