British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/finding-canadian-differences-very-frustrating-how-do-i-fix-891212/)

Souvy Feb 10th 2017 11:40 am

Re: Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12176127)
Ah yes, I remember that "initiative" :).

Even today, it's probably one of the few sectors left here where a) French is not a requirement, b) it's possible to get a job with no French. What does seem to be frequently required these days in that field is fluency in another language (in addition to French/English/both).

The mining industry is the same. English is a must. All the QC-based mining companies I deal with essentially operate in English.

I remember being in the bar at Montreal station a few years back and the girl running it confessed that she didn't speak French at all.

DigitalGhost Feb 10th 2017 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12176130)
The mining industry is the same. English is a must. All the QC-based mining companies I deal with essentially operate in English.

I remember being in the bar at Montreal station a few years back and the girl running it confessed that she didn't speak French at all.

During my time living in Canada I went to Montreal a couple of times, once for a long weekend with my OH and another time for work.

On the long weekend we stayed in B&B downtown that was ran by an Indian family and I remember overhearing the owner pleading with one of his suppliers to use English over the phone because he couldn't understand French.

dbd33 Feb 10th 2017 11:50 am

I'd forgotten but the first time my daughter was at university in Montreal she took a boyfriend with her. She moved on leaving him behind. He spoke no French but was working on Rue Crescent (in a pub not under a lamppost). I think people can thrive in the bar trade anywhere without much of the language so long as they look good and smile a lot.

Souvy Feb 10th 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176131)
During my time living in Canada I went to Montreal a couple of times, once for a long weekend with my OH and another time for work.

On the long weekend we stayed in B&B downtown that was ran by an Indian family and I remember overhearing the owner pleading with one of his suppliers to use English over the phone because he couldn't understand French.

People tend to suddenly become proficient in English when money is involved.

BristolUK Feb 10th 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12176114)
Montreal is a fine city :). However...Large numbers of immigrants (& potential immigrants) *there* see it as a stepping stone/stop on the way to (mainly) Toronto or Vancouver.

That is a surprise.

Each to their own but Montreal seems so much nicer and I really miss the Gazette.

Shirtback Feb 10th 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176129)
Yes and again that's how it could potentially work in my favour because I barely know a word of French but my Japanese is reasonably decent. :)

To be fair, that initiative worked massively in Canada's favour as well. Within the space of a couple of years, Canada went from being virtually a non-existent source in the games industry to being the world's fourth largest producer of them, after the US, Japan and the UK. At this point it is pretty much Ubisoft's main base of operations even though officially they are still HQ'd in France.

I was thinking of Ubisoft when I read your post & replied ;).

:nod: Not surprised.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176131)

That does surprise me a bit (for Montreal). IME it's pretty standard that Montreal companies use English/understand English speaking clients.

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12176140)
People tend to suddenly become proficient in English when money is involved.

Or throw the call to the "token" English-speaker(s) on staff when necessary ;). I'd say it's quite rare in MTL to have trouble doing business in English.

I've pretty much made a career/got most of the jobs or contracts I have had in Qc BECAUSE of my English.

Apologies to the OP for contributing to and prolonging this massive thread swerve :).

Souvy Feb 10th 2017 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12176164)
That is a surprise.

Each to their own but Montreal seems so much nicer and I really miss the Gazette.

You can read it online, you know............

BristolUK Feb 10th 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12176167)
You can read it online, you know............

Yeah, I look occasionally. But I like a 'real' newspaper to read :nod:

Souvy Feb 10th 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12176180)
Yeah, I look occasionally. But I like a 'real' newspaper to read :nod:

Fair enough.

DigitalGhost Feb 10th 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12176164)
That is a surprise.

I think Europeans often tend to prefer Montreal because there is something more homely and familiar about the place whereas people from India/Asia may prefer Toronto and Vancouver because they look and feel more like American cities.

Vulcanoid Feb 10th 2017 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176303)
I think Europeans often tend to prefer Montreal because there is something more homely and familiar about the place whereas people in India/Asia may prefer Toronto and Vancouver because they look and feel more like American cities.

That's actually a reasonable point - I definitely thought Montreal & Quebec felt like much more European cities, while pretty much anywhere in the west has a vibe of just not being well lived-in, because they're so new

DigitalGhost Feb 10th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12176307)
That's actually a reasonable point - I definitely thought Montreal & Quebec felt like much more European cities, while pretty much anywhere in the west has a vibe of just not being well lived-in, because they're so new

I think parts of Atlantic Canada may also look a bit more familiar since they were largely rooted in British settlement. I've never been to Vancouver personally but Toronto just looked like a smaller, cleaner and slightly less dazzling version of New York.

Shirtback Feb 10th 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176303)
I think Europeans often tend to prefer Montreal because there is something more homely and familiar about the place whereas people from India/Asia may prefer Toronto and Vancouver because they look and feel more like American cities.

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12176307)

They (as well as pretty much everywhere else in Qc) felt pretty darn foreign & unfamiliar to me when I arrived! & that despite having previously visited, & thinking I knew about being an expat. Moving to Canada (Quebec) was one of the hardest transitions I made.

I think (it's been a LONG time, & I've had a lot of time to reflect on it) that I fell into the "we speak the same language", "have a long history of immigration/colonisation/similar culture", "how different can it be" trap.

Which swings right back around to the OP ;).

dbd33 Feb 10th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176317)
Toronto just looked like a smaller, cleaner and slightly less dazzling version of New York.

That's how the Toronto council would like it be thought of but, in fact, it looks like Pittsburgh.

Lychee Feb 10th 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12176129)
Yes and again that's how it could potentially work in my favour because I barely know a word of French but my Japanese is reasonably decent. :)

To be fair, that initiative worked massively in Canada's favour as well. Within the space of a couple of years, Canada went from being virtually a non-existent source in the games industry to being the world's fourth largest producer of them, after the US, Japan and the UK. At this point it is pretty much Ubisoft's main base of operations even though officially they are still HQ'd in France.

At one point Vancouver was the hotbed of Canada's games industry, but about 6-7 years ago they all seemed to have picked up and left for Montreal. I have a lot of friends in the gaming industry, but few are still here in Vancouver. Saying that, there are a few companies lingering around (Radical, Relic, EA, etc.). But it does seem like Montreal is the place to be these days.