Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:36 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Haha I didn't even realise it wasn't visa till OH pointed it out! I just assumed. 21st century & all that. Haha
I think Interac is the bog standard one that they give to everyone unless they request otherwise. Like those Switch and Visa Electron cards that banks used to issue to low earners in the UK (although at least Electron was partially useful).

The best thing that you can do is get a Canadian credit card as that will help you to build up a local credit history and if you can use one daily that entitles you to cashback, store credit or air miles than you can wind up profiting from the arrangement.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think Interac is the bog standard one that they give to everyone unless they request otherwise. Like those Switch and Visa Electron cards that banks used to issue to low earners in the UK (although at least Electron was partially useful).

The best thing that you can do is get a Canadian credit card as that will help you to build up a local credit history and if you can use one daily that entitles you to cashback, store credit or air miles than you can wind up profiting from the arrangement.
Haha yeah. We got a credit card at the same time. It's used for everything.
We just do cashback thing at the moment. And we're set to get a fair bit thanks to paying for literally everything on it.
Everyone seems obsessed with air miles as well. I guess when everywhere is so far away it makes some sense.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
There are a few stores that accept Interac online, The Source being one of them IIRC, but it is mostly useless. I tried to use it in Mexico once without thinking and the guy in the shop looked at me as though I just handed him a pineapple.
The shop on Isla Mujeres just off the coast of Cancun had no problem accepting my Canadian Interac card as I tried my Canadian VISA card which didn't work.
The VISA card worked in other stores in Cancun.
There again it would have been cheaper handing the guy a pineapple to pay for the stuff.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

nooks 57 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only way i have survived 30 years in Canada is to have a bunch of British buddys. We meet once a week and have a good laugh at being british over here. Also great for watching sports and Royal stuff. There are a lot of Brits in Toronto area. good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Big country and lots of differences city to city and town to town.
And person to person.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gwoodhouse
Apologies to those who read me attacking their country/themselves/someone they know - I didn't mean to do anything to earn the "Cope/Stop whinging" replies.
You didn't, it's them, re-living the horrors of their own emigration. Since many of the problems you list are things that will fix themselves or which you will get accustomed to easily, it's probably just a case of stresses building up. Welcome to Canada!
BE catch-phrase #1: Emotional Roller-Coaster
Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:11 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooks 57
The only way i have survived 30 years in Canada is to have a bunch of British buddys. We meet once a week and have a good laugh at being british over here. Also great for watching sports and Royal stuff. There are a lot of Brits in Toronto area. good luck.
You watch Royal stuff ? OMG what's wrong with you !!!!

I like the idea of the Royal family but to go out of my way to watch royal stuff that's insane !
Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
I do notice a lot of things being 'behind the times' but I was expecting that as it's a bit of a known joke is it? But I like it!
As much as I dislike the "it's the way it is" and the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (but it is broke and it never worked!) there is a certain comfort in some things being behind..

...it's 6 and 2 threes really....
That should be added to things we don't hear much anymore or whatever that thread was called.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who arrived in Jan this year, WHAT A CULTURE SHOCK.

Coming from the UK via Australia, struggling to get over the paperwork and bureaucracy here. Things I took for granted albeit a small shock at the time: free banking, moving to Oz this did not exist unless you put your salary into you account. Canada for some reason or another thinks it acceptable to charge you up to $40/m unless you want to leave $5k in your account to cover this. Still not sure what value they provide since CC are still the stupidly high interest like other countries, and can not see what other standard features they offer aside from the Canadian centric features.

A simple thing like linking a bank account to do transfers, can take up to 7 to 10 business days to work. The reliance on cheques for rentals and the cost the banks charge you to provide a bank reference.

It seems like I stepped into the 19th century for banking here! High costs, and overly complicated.

I chat to colleagues who have been here many years and all agree with me and have given me pointers on how to deal/work it.

Canada is thinking it is a 21st century country but in reality it does not come close. I am in Mississauga outside Toronto. They have a train system which runs in the GTA at a few select points, BUT only runs during rush hour week days. Nothing runs on the weekend or during the day on weekdays, crazy.

The public transport system here is an eye opener coming from other major cities in the world.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As much as I dislike the "it's the way it is" and the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (but it is broke and it never worked!) there is a certain comfort in some things being behind..
I agree to a point but what comfort is there in some things being behind when you have come from a country or via a country that is so far ahead.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
As someone who arrived in Jan this year, WHAT A CULTURE SHOCK.

Coming from the UK via Australia, struggling to get over the paperwork and bureaucracy here. Things I took for granted albeit a small shock at the time: free banking, moving to Oz this did not exist unless you put your salary into you account. Canada for some reason or another thinks it acceptable to charge you up to $40/m unless you want to leave $5k in your account to cover this. Still not sure what value they provide since CC are still the stupidly high interest like other countries, and can not see what other standard features they offer aside from the Canadian centric features.

A simple thing like linking a bank account to do transfers, can take up to 7 to 10 business days to work. The reliance on cheques for rentals and the cost the banks charge you to provide a bank reference.

It seems like I stepped into the 19th century for banking here! High costs, and overly complicated.

I chat to colleagues who have been here many years and all agree with me and have given me pointers on how to deal/work it. Rent is the only bill/payment left where we have to use a check, so at least $40 for the checks last 4 years assuming you stay with the same bank the entire time.

Canada is thinking it is a 21st century country but in reality it does not come close. I am in Mississauga outside Toronto. They have a train system which runs in the GTA at a few select points, BUT only runs during rush hour week days. Nothing runs on the weekend or during the day on weekdays, crazy.

The public transport system here is an eye opener coming from other major cities in the world.

The need for checks and rentals is annoying. Would be nice if landlords accepted electronic payments more then they do, but for whatever reason they still seem to prefer checks. And smaller employers even still pay by check, my wifes last 3 jobs including current all paid by paper check.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 8th 2017 at 2:54 am.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
...Canada for some reason or another thinks it acceptable to charge you up to $40/m unless you want to leave $5k in your account to cover this.
Banking was always the example of things being behind, but PC Financial is free and has met all my needs for many a year (except the interest rate of course).
A simple thing like linking a bank account to do transfers, can take up to 7 to 10 business days to work.
That one irritated me a few years ago. I used to have a rental property (sold it last November) and the rent received - even where cash - could take several days before it became available for use. But if there was a bill that needed paying, I didn't pay the cash in.

Because I didn't pay the cash in, there was no regular Canadian income (I had UK income into a UK account) so they didn't feel it necessary to release it quickly.
Eventually they agreed to make a big chunk immediately available. Quite ridiculous when it was cash going in rather than a cheque that needed to clear.

But my tenants started doing electronic/email transfers about 6 years ago so it stopped being an issue.

The need for checks and rentals is annoying. Would be nice if landlords accepted electronic payments more then they do...
And they don't say why? In my early days of receiving rent it was post dated cheques or cash. But for the final 6 years it was the email system from successive tenants.

Perhaps the landlords feel guilty at the tenants paying the $1.50 fee but not so much that they'll pay it themselves.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Banking was always the example of things being behind, but PC Financial is free and has met all my needs for many a year (except the interest rate of course).

That one irritated me a few years ago. I used to have a rental property (sold it last November) and the rent received - even where cash - could take several days before it became available for use. But if there was a bill that needed paying, I didn't pay the cash in.

Because I didn't pay the cash in, there was no regular Canadian income (I had UK income into a UK account) so they didn't feel it necessary to release it quickly.
Eventually they agreed to make a big chunk immediately available. Quite ridiculous when it was cash going in rather than a cheque that needed to clear.

But my tenants started doing electronic/email transfers about 6 years ago so it stopped being an issue.

And they don't say why? In my early days of receiving rent it was post dated cheques or cash. But for the final 6 years it was the email system from successive tenants.

Perhaps the landlords feel guilty at the tenants paying the $1.50 fee but not so much that they'll pay it themselves.
My guess is it's easier for them (property management companies) to organize and deal with checks.

I haven't rented from a private individual landlord in several years, but the one time I did she wanted cash but it wasn't a proper rental.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:31 am
Oscar nominated

My guess is it's easier for them (property management companies) to organize and deal with checks
Individually, it's easier to open an email, click, log on and receive than it is to sign the cheque and take it to a bank.

But with multiple tenants, if one insists on paying by cheque, so that you have to go to the bank anyway, you might as well have them all by cheque and make the accounting easier.

If all your tenants paid by email that would make the accounting just as easy without the journey (or journeys if they didn't pay at the same time) to the bank.

So maybe it's a rebel tenant to blame.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Checks work out cheaper anyhow. Lol

Individually, it's easier to open an email, click, log on and receive than it is to sign the cheque and take it to a bank.

But with multiple tenants, if one insists on paying by cheque, so that you have to go to the bank anyway, you might as well have them all by cheque and make the accounting easier.

If all your tenants paid by email that would make the accounting just as easy without the journey (or journeys if they didn't pay at the same time) to the bank.

So maybe it's a rebel tenant to blame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.