Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finance & money advice sites

Finance & money advice sites

Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finance & money advice sites

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I work for a large financial planning firm and I will say that, compared to the UK, you can easily get the wool pulled over your eyes here. Especially when it comes to fees and the service you get for those fees. I am not impressed with the financial services culture over here. For example, most banks offer a financial planning service but, if it is run out of the retail network, they cannot advise on crucial stuff like life or critical illness insurance. Financial planning is more making up your portfolio then hoping it performs well enough so that you don't move your business to another broker. Another example: if you go to a bank for a mortgage, you will be offered creditor protection, which is a pile of crap since it is not underwritten until a claim is made. I found it immoral to sell such utter rubbish.

Granted there are snake oil IFAs in the UK, but you can easily find superb ones who will do the full planning job for you. You definitely need to carefully interview advisers and planners here because many simply want your assets.
Wow, that's good to know, I mean I'm quite cautious anyway, and will take extra care with my 'millions' but how would one go about sorting the snakes from the good ones?
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ursus__
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for websites or particular sources of information for advice on finances and money (in the broadest sense)? I use the website moneysavingexpert.com a lot in the UK and it covers things form bank accounts to phone contracts to travel to car stuff and more. I was wondering if there is anything similar in Canada?

Tried searching but couldn't find anything on this - apologies if I've missed it.

Cheers

Chris
. Hi Chris, I haven checked these out yet but it's on my list to do, I know a couple have already been mentioned.
LIKE MONEYSUPERMARKET FOR DEALS:
Www.simplyfrugal.ca
Www.moneysense.ca
Www.redflagdeals.
Compare Canadian mortgage rates and credit cards - Find the best rates and cards in Canada - Ratehub.ca
Www.ratesupermarket.ca
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ursus__
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for websites or particular sources of information for advice on finances and money (in the broadest sense)? I use the website moneysavingexpert.com a lot in the UK and it covers things form bank accounts to phone contracts to travel to car stuff and more. I was wondering if there is anything similar in Canada?

Tried searching but couldn't find anything on this - apologies if I've missed it.

Cheers

Chris
. Hi Chris, I haven checked these out yet but it's on my list to do, I know a couple have already been mentioned.
LIKE MONEYSUPERMARKET FOR DEALS:
Www.simplyfrugal.ca
Www.moneysense.ca
Www.redflagdeals.
Compare Canadian mortgage rates and credit cards - Find the best rates and cards in Canada - Ratehub.ca
Www.ratesupermarket.ca
Old Jul 20th 2018, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

essexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to work with a Financial Adviser you would do well to look at FPSC website, it's the Financial Planning Standards Council website, which allows you to find a Certified Financial Planner who has the proper designations and has a fiduciary responsibility to put clients first and has ethics unmatched by the banks. If you work with a bank you take your chances on who you get and what they want to sell you. As per a previous post, a good financial adviser will not only look at the investment side of financial planning but take a complete holistic approach and encompass, tax, retirement, investment, cash flow, estate and insurance planning. As a caveat yes I'm a financial adviser and have the CFP as well as CLU, Chartered Life Underwriter designations.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexlad69
If you decide to work with a Financial Adviser you would do well to look at FPSC website, it's the Financial Planning Standards Council website, which allows you to find a Certified Financial Planner who has the proper designations and has a fiduciary responsibility to put clients first and has ethics unmatched by the banks. If you work with a bank you take your chances on who you get and what they want to sell you. As per a previous post, a good financial adviser will not only look at the investment side of financial planning but take a complete holistic approach and encompass, tax, retirement, investment, cash flow, estate and insurance planning. As a caveat yes I'm a financial adviser and have the CFP as well as CLU, Chartered Life Underwriter designations.
That's a useful website - and I'm reassured that my Financial Adviser comes up when I search for him! There doesn't, however, seem to be such a thing as a truly independent FA in Canada - or at least not in this part of the world. All are tied in some way to an investment company / bank. Is this a correct statement?
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

essexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond reputeessexlad69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's a useful website - and I'm reassured that my Financial Adviser comes up when I search for him! There doesn't, however, seem to be such a thing as a truly independent FA in Canada - or at least not in this part of the world. All are tied in some way to an investment company / bank. Is this a correct statement?
Sadly yes. Some advisers will state they are "fee free", which looks great, but the reality is if you are buying mutual funds with a fee free adviser then you are paying double as you're paying his fee on top of MERs. So it's a case of being very careful who you work with and what they offer, make sure you have a letter of understanding up front and a very open/honest conversation about fees. Trust is the biggest component of any client/adviser relationship, so really try to find someone who has the same values as you and who over the initial meetings, somone you sense you can trust before moving/giving any assets to them. If all they are just asking for assets and not looking at helping you in tax, estate planning, etc as mentioned previously, and loking at you as a family and how he can best service you, then steer clear.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by essexlad69
That's really helpful, I'll take a look at their website., thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Just another add......There are also a great site, taxtips.ca that gives you a really good, simple understanding of taxation around investments. It's no good investing if you have no idea of the tax implications behind each trade.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in Financial services in downtown Toronto providing the IT support. Canada is years behind the UK as far as banking and investing is concerned. The margins the Advisors charge are outrageous in today's fintech world. I make all my own financial decisions saving thousands in fees. E.g You can trade lots of 100 in ETFs with National Bank and pay no commission. I use Transferwise to send money from abroad to Canada and Revolut to spend money when on holiday. In fact , I was thinking of starting an equivalent to MSE in Canada. There seems to be a need, especially for expats moving here. Happy to help anyone with specific questions. We can all benefit when we work together. Better to keep your money in your pockets rather than some rich banker!
Old Jul 21st 2018, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glendem4
I work in Financial services in downtown Toronto providing the IT support. Canada is years behind the UK as far as banking and investing is concerned. The margins the Advisors charge are outrageous in today's fintech world. I make all my own financial decisions saving thousands in fees. E.g You can trade lots of 100 in ETFs with National Bank and pay no commission. I use Transferwise to send money from abroad to Canada and Revolut to spend money when on holiday. In fact , I was thinking of starting an equivalent to MSE in Canada. There seems to be a need, especially for expats moving here. Happy to help anyone with specific questions. We can all benefit when we work together. Better to keep your money in your pockets rather than some rich banker!
A MSE Canada site would be a great idea, and maybe drag the Canadians into the 21st Century in terms of banking and finance ;-)
Old Jul 21st 2018, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glendem4
Glendem4, an MSE would be a great idea, I certainly would be happy to contribute. You also have to realise that not everyone is as financially savy as you and are seeking solid advice that the banks don't offer. From my perspective, investing isn't just about the medium or saving of fees. I can save clients tens of thousands of dollars through tax, estate and insurance planning as well as the use of various tax efficient investments outside of RSPs and TFSA's. So where I get the fee saving, those fees you pay CAN generate huge savings in other areas, that's the value of a decent FA.

Last edited by essexlad69; Jul 21st 2018 at 10:20 pm. Reason: spelling