Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally Moving to Windsor ON!!! Any advice please?

Finally Moving to Windsor ON!!! Any advice please?

Old Jul 13th 2018, 5:18 pm
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally Moving to Windsor ON!!! Any advice please?

After 8 1/2 years in the Moncton area and 13 very frustrating months on the market including another Maritime winter We have finally given our house away .

That aside we have bought a house in Sunny Windsor ON so onward to the next exciting chapter in our adventures!!
We move there on labour day weekend. Likely to be a pain but one of those things!

I was wondering if anyone had any particular info, advice etc for ON specifically that you did not know before you moved there, or anyone that has moved provinces?

Anyone in Windsor area have any recommendations, tips etc for a newbie?

Sublime to the ridiculous, any and all input much appreciated
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:01 pm
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally Moving to Windsor ON!!! Any advice please?

Glad to hear you're all set at last.

This the new home?

Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:10 pm
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bristol

This is closer to it

Old Jul 14th 2018, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

J-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud ofJ-A-UK has much to be proud of

I moved from Manitoba to Ontario

Get your Ontario Health Card
Get your Ontario Drivers License
Get your vehicles regstered
Cars / Motorcycles etc will need a safety and Etest for registration (Shouldn't have brought one of mine on that basis)
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201 View Post
After 8 1/2 years in the Moncton area and 13 very frustrating months on the market including another Maritime winter We have finally given our house away .
Sublime to the ridiculous, any and all input much appreciated
Get used to American spelling (flavor, color, neighbor), measuring distances in 'blocks', following the Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, Lions etc and doing a lot of your grocery shopping, petrol purchases in the USA.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 1:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged View Post
Get used to American spelling (flavor, color, neighbor), measuring distances in 'blocks', following the Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, Lions etc and doing a lot of your grocery shopping, petrol purchases in the USA.
Most of that reaches as far as here, especially support for the Red Wings; they're very much the local favourites though, geographically, it should be the Sabres. People who are aware of fashion, immigrants mostly, go to the collections north of Detroit for it, while those of us who just want cheaper clothes go to the huge outlet mall in Flint.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 5:44 pm
The Curry Monster

Originally Posted by J-A-UK View Post
I moved from Manitoba to Ontario

Get your Ontario Health Card
Get your Ontario Drivers License
Get your vehicles regstered
Cars / Motorcycles etc will need a safety and Etest for registration (Shouldn't have brought one of mine on that basis)

Thank you! I did not realise that I would have to have the cars inspected. They do have annual inspections here in NB I thought that they would just carry over. Both of our cars are fairly new and well maintained so hoping that it wont be too much hassle.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 5:59 pm
The Curry Monster

Originally Posted by Partially discharged View Post
American spelling would be an improvement. Sadly half the adult population of NB are functionally illiterate.

Our realtor would say of the 1500 block of such and such street is nice but avoid the 2500 block. This house is just a 3 block walk to xyz. Is that walking distance or should I pack food and water?

Detroit being just across the river is a huge attraction. I am really looking forward to going to various sporting events,concerts and shows etc. Other half draws the line at me getting a Tigers Bucket hat

Do you cross border shop regularly? Is it still worth it with the exchange rate?
Old Jul 14th 2018, 6:12 pm
The Curry Monster

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Most of that reaches as far as here, especially support for the Red Wings; they're very much the local favourites though, geographically, it should be the Sabres. People who are aware of fashion, immigrants mostly, go to the collections north of Detroit for it, while those of us who just want cheaper clothes go to the huge outlet mall in Flint.
I am a Winnipeg Jets fan but will happily go and watch the Red Wings. Toronto is looking likely to have a Super League Rugby team next year so really looking forward to going to a few games. Detroit also has a football (not American throwball) team there with proper fans! They have a supporters club that goes to the pub first and then marches to the game singing and chanting as they go

We really noticed how diverse Windsor was and it is a breath of fresh air. Moncton has changed a lot over the 8 years I have been here and is improving on that front but it is still very white.

I have never been much for fashionable clothes as such and I am typically wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Flint for me, North of Detroit for the Mrs
Old Jul 14th 2018, 8:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Four hours to Chicago.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

American spelling would be an improvement. Sadly half the adult population of NB are functionally illiterate.

Our realtor would say of the 1500 block of such and such street is nice but avoid the 2500 block. This house is just a 3 block walk to xyz. Is that walking distance or should I pack food and water?

Detroit being just across the river is a huge attraction. I am really looking forward to going to various sporting events,concerts and shows etc. Other half draws the line at me getting a Tigers Bucket hat

Do you cross border shop regularly? Is it still worth it with the exchange rate?
I don't live in Windsor...way back I had a gf who lived there so I visited many times. The 'blocks' thing threw me having only really lived in Canada in Toronto. My wife's father is from Moncton so I know that City a bit too well. A bit too 'non diverse' for me.

There are some great Mexican restaurants in the D. Watch Low Winter Sun if you can to see the underbelly of Detroit and try and avoid neighbourhoods like this.

https://goo.gl/maps/Nz6TGHK5rZk
Old Jul 15th 2018, 12:09 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is looking likely to have a Super League Rugby team next year
I'm still trying to figure out where the Wolfpack are going to play?.

They can't possibly share the BMO with the Argo's and the TFC, which leaves the Rogers centre, which is so overbooked it's not even funny.

From what I can make out, the only stipulation is that the ground has to hold a 10K crowd and, everything else really doesn't matter as long as the TV company can get there.

Lamport has to be one of the only choices they have, and really sucks with all of it's facilities or lack of.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 15th 2018, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful where you buy a house.

Some parts of Windsor are prone to basement flooding to the extent that some insurance companies will not cover you for your rec room etc.

Try a google search of the areas.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 2:26 am
Somewhat uncouth

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...That aside we have bought a house in Sunny Windsor ON ...
Originally Posted by daveincolchester View Post
Be careful where you buy a house....
That advice might just be a tad late
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:33 pm
The Curry Monster

Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
I'm still trying to figure out where the Wolfpack are going to play?.

They can't possibly share the BMO with the Argo's and the TFC, which leaves the Rogers centre, which is so overbooked it's not even funny.

From what I can make out, the only stipulation is that the ground has to hold a 10K crowd and, everything else really doesn't matter as long as the TV company can get there.

Lamport has to be one of the only choices they have, and really sucks with all of it's facilities or lack of.

Thoughts?
I agree that sharing BMO is unlikely. I would think that Rogers Centre is also unlikely unless they hosted a double header involving the big 4 or NRL. I am sure that Eric Perez is already dreaming of the Magic Weekend!

I think that it will depend on how they perform Super League/ Challenge Cup over the next 5 years or so with current crowds or bigger There would be strong a case for developing Lamport. I cant imagine that building another stadium anywhere near downtown would be realistic. It would not be that difficult to improve both the East and West sides of the ground. The South side could also have a modest stand/facilities incorporated. From what I understand the 10k capacity was part of the licensing system but not a factor under the current structure. This is also set to change again next year but likely going back to 1 or 2 up/down and top 8 playoff rather than licensing. Lamport may not be that great but then neither is Bellvue, Mend a Hose Jungle or Craven Park.

Another consideration could be the expansion project touted for Boston and Hamilton. This would give Toronto a natural rival, further enhancing the brand/following of the club and RL in N America. All this being said RL should also be looking to develop the sport more aggressively in parts of the UK outside the M62 corridor. It will be interesting to see if Marwan Koukash can unite the Cumbrian clubs and build a regional brand there. I would like to see the game developed in Coventry, Sheffield, Newcastle, York and either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Whilst some do have RL teams at League 1 and Championship levels currently they are massively untapped and underfunded. The Toronto project does highlight the possibilities and that investment in RL can be worth it. If the product on the pitch is successful people will get behind it.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service