Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

finally moving to vancouver after years of wanting to

finally moving to vancouver after years of wanting to

Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finally moving to vancouver after years of wanting to

Originally Posted by turlough
Where about do you live then if you dislike maple ridge so much. I've not heard alot of positive comments from you so far I'd like to hear some positives aswell as negatives
We live pretty much downtown in a quiet neighbourhood.

I've spent a huge amount of time in and around Maple Ridge over the past 10 to 15 yrs as that's where my wife's family were born and inbred.

Maple Ridge positives:
  • It's not abbortsford
  • It's not Mission
  • It's not Coquitlam
  • With minimal effort you can hike along some nice trails (beware the bears)
  • With minimal effort you can head to a number of Lakes to swin
  • Houses are relatively cheaper to buy and rent when compared to other areas
  • The schools are "ok"
  • If you want to live rural, you can do so relatively cheaply when compared to other areas in and around Vancouver
  • Bruce's Market

Maple Ridge Negatives:
  • It's a tedious commute if you work downtown regularly
  • It has a large element of homelessness
  • It has a large element of drugs and drug users
  • It's very rednecky in areas
  • Choices of restaurants are very poor
  • It rains a LOT when compared to other areas due to the proximity to mountains
  • Other than the mountains, it's a really ugly place
  • Far too many strip malls

Personally, i wouldn't choose to live there. That said, if i were moving from an area such as the Brandsholme Estate in Hull, Lewisham, or Slough, it would be appealing.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finally moving to vancouver after years of wanting to

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
My husband eats a lot I suppose lol! I found a site where you can compare costs of living between UK towns and and Ca provinces and it seems on there that meals out are cheaper but groceries are more expensive. It's good to know actual facts on eating out there as this something we enjoy doing as a family and here in the UK we don't go out to dinner as often as we would like
Which website? There's a particularly useless one called something like 'Numbeo' - if it's that one then take the figures on it with a very large pinch of salt!

Folks on BE in the area you're helping to move to will always help you out with cost of living if you can't find recent threads.

HTH.