Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally getting there...job offer..location questions.

Finally getting there...job offer..location questions.

Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally getting there...job offer..location questions.

Hi
Oboviouslly were doing our own recc trip to look at areas again, but wanted some advice, that elusive job offer has finally come through for us after years of wanting and dreaming....
Its in toronto, well there toronto office anyway, so were looking at commutable areas for our family to live.

Up to an hour away (what he travels into london by train now), drive or train and nice area for family/ schools etc, were looking to buy a modest 5 bed house in a nice area, morgage free would be nice but wont trade that off for the area we would like.
By comparison we now live in a nice part of kent in a 4 bed detached victorian house with garage, close to shops and activities for the children, looking for similar kind of area.

Suggestions welcome.
We have vistied before and have friends in Uxbridge york area, bit to far to commute.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally getting there...job offer..location questions.

Congrats on the job offer!

A 5 bedroom house in a nice area within an hour's commute of Toronto - but where in Toronto? East? West? North? Downtown?

What price range can you afford?

What lifestyle do you prefer - city living, small town living, country living?

A little more info will help people to direct you to areas to look.

In the meantime, I would suggest perusing www.realtor.ca

Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

hi
I dont know which side , were open to anything, his office will be in toronto, but could be on site anywhere around it so can be very flexible.

We live in a town now, i dont think id like a small town or country, but not big city either so probably not downtown, just close enough to get to things, well have two cars and high schools local is a consideration too.

Weve looked at Oakville, burlington , vaughan as suggestions on the go route.
Im still not sure of our house budget , i guess the house costs may dictate it, our house here is worth around 370k.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
hi
I dont know which side , were open to anything, his office will be in toronto, but could be on site anywhere around it so can be very flexible.

We live in a town now, i dont think id like a small town or country, but not big city either so probably not downtown, just close enough to get to things, well have two cars and high schools local is a consideration too.

Weve looked at Oakville, burlington , vaughan as suggestions on the go route.
Im still not sure of our house budget , i guess the house costs may dictate it, our house here is worth around 370k.
Which area of Toronto is the office in??? And how much equity do you have in that house to put down etc etc. Still probably best to rent to start with, you'll have to sell that house and if you need to sell quickly then you might be taking less than you thought.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

structured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the rough

Hello,

I am an ex-pat having lived in southern Ontario for over 30 years, so I have a few suggestions for you in terms of what you are looking for. West of Toronto I suggest Waterdown. It is a short ride to the Aldershot GO transit station (it takes about 45 minutes by rail from there to Toronto). In my opinion Waterdown is not too big, not too small and is a short drive from all amenities found in Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga. I am not sure about house prices, but my sense is that you will find larger homes in your price range there. My second recommenation would be Georgetown. It is on a separate GO rail line, and the commute is a bit farther, but it has a great close-knit community and also close to amenities in Mississauga, etc. You will also have to check housing prices online. Hope my suggestions are of some assistance to you! Good luck in Canada, cheers.

Last edited by structured001; Nov 30th 2012 at 1:12 pm. Reason: clairifcation
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Note that, unless your job has fixed hours that exactly fit the Georgetown GO train, living there and working in Toronto implies commuting by car. It's only the Lakeshore GO train line that offers a reasonable service.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

The main office is in Mississauga but he wont be there very often hell be out on site, i think the first job in the city of toronto itself...next one who knows, so needs to be fairly central to toronto and Mississauga i guess.

As far as equity, its all paid so all of it but well probably rent anyway at first like you say till we get a feel for everywhere.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Given that a "Toronto" office might be downtown, might be in the west (Missisagua), might be east (Scarborough), or north (York) "Toronto" covers a multitude of sins so unless the OP want to spends hours in traffic or on transit its probably best to have a bit more info.

Its like trying to chose somewhere to live in the greater london area based on going to work at the "London" office (only with worse public transport links)

I love this idea of a "modest" 5 bedroom house though Affordable 5 bed houses will involve more a commute.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
The main office is in Mississauga but he wont be there very often hell be out on site, i think the first job in the city of toronto itself...next one who knows, so needs to be fairly central to toronto and Mississauga i guess.

As far as equity, its all paid so all of it but well probably rent anyway at first like you say till we get a feel for everywhere.
Here's the thing. It's at least an hour across the 401 from the airport to, say, Yonge Street. It's 45 minutes along the QEW/Gardiner from the 427 to Yonge St. It's two hours from Kingston Road and Midland in Scarborough to the airport.

I think you need a feel for the likely work locations, if they're all over the GTA then live downtown-ish, if they're all near Union then live along the Lakeshore. If they're all in Mississauga then reconsider emigrating. What line of work is it?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
. If they're all in Mississauga then reconsider emigrating.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

hes a construction project manager/ building