Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Final decision

Final decision

Old Oct 18th 2021, 6:26 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final decision

Originally Posted by bats
Is the eldest on track to get the grades needed for a UK university? If not he might benefit from starting A levels there. He might anyway

I thought it was in his best interests to get his Diploma??? Maybe I need to research that further.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 6:28 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Another point to consider is the fees that your son (or you!!) will have to pay at university in England for at least the first year. He will be counted as an international student.
He has already expressed his desire to move home, independent of us.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 6:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I’ve spent the last eight years putting everyone else’s needs before my own...
Going back seems to be the right thing to at least try, and I see you're taking care of the citizenship side for keeping options open.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

When I applied to U.K. universities in 2012 my Canadian High School Diploma was assessed as equivalent to A Levels. I believe it was the grade 12 classes that I was given credit for. I got offered places at both universities.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I'm sorry, but that last phrase sounds really selfish to me.

What about your husband starting a new phase in HIS life?

What about your kids??

This sounds like just you???

That's a bit harsh! Just because you have a family it doesn't mean your happiness doesn't count. Tirytory has been on and off miserable for years and has put her own needs on the back burner to try to give everyone else a chance to figure out where they want to be. Generally speaking, happy parents have happy children, a year or two to get settled is fair enough but 8 years is a long time to feel like you don't belong. Clearly some compromises are going to have to be made, just have to figure out which ones will lead to the best outcome for you all. I don't believe one parent being unhappy for an extended length of time is the best outcome for anyone.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 10:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I could have written much of what you had ( different career) I can only say what I wish we had done. I wish I hadn't been so set on not moving my daughter to a different school.

If I had our time again I would have packed us up and moved us back to the UK ( or tried a different Province) before my daughter left home.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that you think it harsh, it was just what jumped out at me.

Of course, I don't think that a mother should sacrifice her happiness for her husband or kids, just as she should never be subservient to him or them.

I'm probably one of the earliest feminists around, I grew up in a maternal society where mothers reigned dads had to obey them .......... and that was back in the 1940s and 50s. There were then only a few places where literally every family from the poorest to the richest was ruled by the woman.

I have always operated on the principle that everyone in the family deserves an equal vote in what is going to happen ............... that's from both parents down to the youngest child who has reached an age of being able to reason, often much younger than you'd think.

Plus I also have noticed how hard you have fought, and wondered if, like so many who return to the UK, you ended up in the wrong place, by accident. If so, that is so unfortunate, for you and the family.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

It does seem that you have given it more than enough time to settle and feel happy. If after this long you feel the way that you do it’s unlikely to change. Apart from the obvious that the UK isn’t the country a lot of us left behind there are many positives that you listed that are personal vs the country as a whole which is more important.

Your kids will find there own way in life regardless of where you are.

I really feel for you and hope that things get better whatever you decide to do
Old Oct 20th 2021, 9:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

How does your teen in grade 11 feel about this? After 8 years he/she is pretty much a Canadian now, have you though about reverse culture shock? It could have a much longer lasting impact for him/her.

Old Oct 20th 2021, 9:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Danny B
How does your teen in grade 11 feel about this? After 8 years he/she is pretty much a Canadian now, have you though about reverse culture shock? It could have a much longer lasting impact for him/her.
He’s really not! He’s keen to go home, and has announced a few months back that he intends to go home independent of us.

Every time we’ve gone home the kids have loved it, and are always keen to go back. We actually don’t go anywhere else, which I find really hard. I want to live there so we can spend our time actually visiting somewhere else.

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 20th 2021 at 9:42 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 10:52 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

He’s really not! He’s keen to go home, and has announced a few months back that he intends to go home independent of us.

Every time we’ve gone home the kids have loved it, and are always keen to go back. We actually don’t go anywhere else, which I find really hard. I want to live there so we can spend our time actually visiting somewhere else.
That's really good to hear, it sounds like you guys will be fine then. No point living a miserable life in Canada if you could be happier elsewhere.

As Confucius once said - “We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Old Oct 21st 2021, 1:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

FWIW.
You've done 8 years in a place that is not for you. Time to go home and try the fit there. It is your turn.
If that turns out to be not a good fit for you, your husband or your kids then you can rethink from there.
Life is far too short to have to always be battling the homesick, misfit thing. I should know , I've been doing this for nigh on 17 years.
Get the citizenship thing done and then get on with a whole new adventure & phase in your lives.

You really honestly do not want to be a me where there always seemed to be a window opening to effect a return somehow , only to wake up one day to see that widow has shut.

Good luck and best wishes.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
FWIW.
You've done 8 years in a place that is not for you. Time to go home and try the fit there. It is your turn.
If that turns out to be not a good fit for you, your husband or your kids then you can rethink from there.
Life is far too short to have to always be battling the homesick, misfit thing. I should know , I've been doing this for nigh on 17 years.
Get the citizenship thing done and then get on with a whole new adventure & phase in your lives.

You really honestly do not want to be a me where there always seemed to be a window opening to effect a return somehow , only to wake up one day to see that widow has shut.

Home is where your heart is, not where your physically present, I live in Canada, but San Diego is home.

Good luck and best wishes.

I agree Bev, I have endured Canada for 17 years nothing but homesickness and wanting to be home, and if by a few years it hasn't gone away, it probably never will and as years pass you can become more and more resentful of the country your living in, sure if your only at the 1 year mark, give it a couple more year, by 8 years if your still feeling that way, eh it's never going to improve while things change at home, enough stays the same to always feel like home, that is how I feel about my home city, sure a lot has changed but at the same time, enough is the same so it's still home.

I do understand with tirytory kids complicate things a little more however, but as they say in many self help books, got to help yourself before helping others.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 10:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I have no value to add to this conversation.

I just wanted to say hello and I hope you are well.

Get Citizenship for the whole family so your children can return should they ever want too. Otherwise make the leap :-)
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 4:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by JamesM
I have no value to add to this conversation.

I just wanted to say hello and I hope you are well.

Get Citizenship for the whole family so your children can return should they ever want too. Otherwise make the leap :-)

Hello! I hope you’re gallbladder is healing well?! Citizenship is in progress. I checked the other day- application received in July and all check boxes are in progress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.