Reload this Page >

The Fiancee Question!!

The Fiancee Question!!

Old Mar 15th 2002, 6:10 pm
moz
Just Joined

moz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Fiancee Question!!

I am a British citizen living in England and have applied for an Independent Immigrants visa. My girlfriend of two and a half years is Canadian living in Toronto (we met when she was working in London for 2 years). The plan is to get married in Canada within a year although we are not officially engaged.
My question is how can i speed my application process up? i sent my application to London (UK) on the 12th December 2001 and am hearing that it could take up to 12 months before a decision is made either way. I am a 28 year old Masters Graduate and have 5 years experience in Investment Banking, i calculated that i had approximately 75 points in the scoring system.
The options that i have heard about are, trying to find a job in Toronto myself and the employer can apply for a work visa (and whilst working in Canada, a decision will be made about Permanent Residency). My other option is getting engaged and being sponsored by my girlfriend.
Does the sponsorship option speed up my current application process or would i then have to go down a separate channel? are there any requirements that have to be filled before this is worth anything (i thought i read that a wedding date has to be set for within 3 months of landing)?
I am currently searching for financial headhunters in Toronto (any help here would also be most welcome) although i see this option as a bit daunting as i am a trans-Atlantic flight away (hard going for interviews) and find it hard to understand why someone would hire me if they had to go through the long process of applying for a visa.
If anyone has any personal experiences or are able to give me any advise i would truly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance of some useful information.
Old Mar 15th 2002, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

CN Tower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Fiancee Question!!

Hi Moz,
The fact that you have already submitted your application means that there isn't anything you can do to 'speed it up' aside from keeping things on track and supplying documentation/funds etc when requested. However, on the positive side, there are indications that London has recently been processing applications in a shorter timeframe than 12 months. Obviously this won't be true in all cases and depends on individual circumstances, but it is certainly possible that if yours is straightforward, then it may not take that long.

In terms of your options: being sponsored as a fiancé is feasible, but you would have to start a whole new two-fold process of applying (your g/f has to be approved as a sponsor, then you have to apply for PR) and if you are already three months in, it doesn't seem worthwhile, unless you think that it is likely that your Independent application won't be successful. And yes, you do have to get married within 90 days of landing, although as far as I know you don't have to provide evidence of pre-booking a date (but you do have to produce a marriage cert. before the 90 days are up!) As a fiancé (as opposed to spouse) your g/f would be subject to the LICO (Low Income Cut Off) method of means testing as to whether she could afford to support you.

The employment method you mention is also a minefield for the reasons you state and although it is apparently possible to achieve, the reality is certainly more complicated than it may appear. An employer wanting to hire you has to get the position validated by Human Resources Development Canada proving that they have already tried to find a Canadian resident to fill it. Although not impossible, I wouldn't think this would get you there faster.

If being with your partner is the most important factor in moving to Canada asap, then the quickest way to achieve that might be to move there, get married and apply under Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds to stay, while you went through the sponsoring process inland. The downside in this case (quel surprise..!) is that you can't work straightaway, you have to wait until you get your AIP (answer in principle) as to whether your application is likely to be successful...and then you can apply for an employment authorisation.

One more possibility, should anything not go to plan with your Independent application is that as of the implementation of the new law (supposedly June 28th 2002) you wouldn't have to necessarily be married/be getting married, for your g/f to sponsor you as they will be including 'common-law' partners within the Family class category.

Waiting is where its at, it seems...but if you want to talk to some people who are in a similar position, see the url below [we even have an 'Application Timeline Database' so we can while away the time comparing statistics and compiling average times from London CHC...its great!]

Cheers,
Claire
Old Mar 16th 2002, 1:35 am
Meg Lamont

Hi Moz,

It took my application as an independent only 7 months. Could have been a month or
two sooner if I'd not waited to take my medical when I was visiting in Canada. Since
you have already submitted your application, as the other poster said, it's probably
better to wait. If you come as an independent, you are not held to getting married in
any specific amount of time. If you were to be sponsered by your girlfriend, she
would be financially responsible for you for the next 10 years. That's an awfully big
responsibility to expect of anyone. Many don't realize the commitment that comes
along with being sponsered. It's pretty significant.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Meg

"moz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am a British citizen living in England and have applied for an Independent
    > Immigrants visa. My girlfriend of two and a half years is Canadian living in
    > Toronto (we met when she was working in London for 2 years). The plan is to get
    > married in Canada within a year although we are not officially engaged. My question
    > is how can i speed my application process up? i sent my application to London (UK)
    > on the 12th December 2001 and am hearing that it could take up to 12 months before
    > a decision is made either way. I am a 28 year old Masters Graduate and have 5 years
    > experience in Investment Banking, i calculated that i had approximately 75 points
    > in the scoring system. The options that i have heard about are, trying to find a
    > job in Toronto myself and the employer can apply for a work visa (and whilst
    > working in Canada, a decision will be made about Permanent Residency). My other
    > option is getting engaged and being sponsored by my girlfriend. Does the
    > sponsorship option speed up my current application process or would i then have to
    > go down a separate channel? are there any requirements that have to be filled
    > before this is worth anything (i thought i read that a wedding date has to be set
    > for within 3 months of landing)? I am currently searching for financial headhunters
    > in Toronto (any help here would also be most welcome) although i see this option as
    > a bit daunting as i am a trans-Atlantic flight away (hard going for interviews) and
    > find it hard to understand why someone would hire me if they had to go through the
    > long process of applying for a visa. If anyone has any personal experiences or are
    > able to give me any advise i would truly appreciate
    > it. Thanks in advance of some useful information.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 16th 2002, 3:35 am
Pmm

Hi Moz

"moz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I am a British citizen living in England and have applied for an Independent
    > Immigrants visa. My girlfriend of two and a half years is Canadian living in
    > Toronto (we met when she was working in London for 2 years). The plan is to get
    > married in Canada within a year although we are not officially engaged. My question
    > is how can i speed my application process up?

"If your application was well prepared" to quote Andrew you may receive an
Interview waiver. This should bring the processing to under 12 months, if your
point calculation is correct. If you don't get the interview waiver, 12-14 months
is about right.

i sent my application to London (UK) on the 12th
    > December 2001 and am hearing that it could take up to 12 months before a decision
    > is made either way. I am a 28 year old Masters Graduate and have 5 years experience
    > in Investment Banking, i calculated that i had approximately 75 points in the
    > scoring system. The options that i have heard about are, trying to find a job in
    > Toronto myself and the employer can apply for a work visa (and whilst working in
    > Canada, a decision will be made about Permanent Residency).

If you can find an employer who can demonstrate to Human Resources Development Canada
that s/he is unable either a CC or PR for the position being offered and that they
have advertised for an employee with your exact skill set and were unsuccessful, then
HRDC may certify the job offer. You would then get an EA from London, and could apply
for PR to an office outside Canada, while working in Canada. Or if it is your
intention to marry within year, your wife could sponsor you.

My other option is getting engaged
    > and being sponsored by my girlfriend. Does the sponsorship option speed up my
    > current application process or would i then have to go down a separate channel?

Separate applicaton channel, Family class No. 3 priority probably takes about as long
as independent application.

are there any requirements that have to be filled
    > before this is worth anything (i thought i read that a wedding date has to be set
    > for within 3 months of landing)? I

Term and condition of Financee applicaton is must marry within 90 days of "landing"
am currently searching for
    > financial headhunters in Toronto (any help here would also be most welcome)
    > although i see this option as a bit daunting as i am a trans-Atlantic flight away
    > (hard going for interviews) and find it hard to understand why someone would hire
    > me if they had to go through the long process of applying for a visa. If anyone has
    > any personal experiences or are able to give me any advise i would truly appreciate
    > it. Thanks in advance of some useful information.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

PMM

Old Mar 16th 2002, 9:51 pm
moz
Just Joined

moz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your useful information.
Question for Meg Lamont, did you apply through London and how long ago was it? 7 months seems like a very short time considering everyone else is saying under 12 months, i am looking for a bit of encouragement as i think i'll leave my current position stand and see what result i get instead of searching for a job right now or apply uunder the fiance sponsorship route.
Regards
Old Mar 16th 2002, 11:35 pm
Meg Lamont

Hi Mo,

I applied through the US as a US citizen. I tried to job search while I was in the US
pending my immigration, and my experience was the Canadian employers were not
interested in dealing with me since I was still processing my immigration. The
general feeling was contact us after you are here. I don't think they are interested
in paying or re-locating, so it would be to their benefit if you were already here.
Anyhow, that was my experience.

Best of luck to you. I'd hang in there on the Independent.

Good luck!

Meg "moz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thank you all for your useful information. Question for Meg Lamont, did you apply
    > through London and how long ago was it? 7 months seems like a very short time
    > considering everyone else is saying under 12 months, i am looking for a bit of
    > encouragement as i think i'll leave my current position stand and see what result i
    > get instead of searching for a job right now or apply uunder the fiance sponsorship
    > route. Regards
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Mo
    >