Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few thoughts

A few thoughts

Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:39 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few thoughts

Thank you all for your messages and karma. My mum had been in hospital for a few weeks with what seemed like a fairly minor ailment, without improving due to an underlying leukemia condition, and she got worse quite quickly with heart complications in the last week. It was quite sudden and she died between my booking a flight to go visit and me actually making it there. Of course the thought that something like this might happen is obviously something you consider when moving 3500 miles away, and I think I was sort of reconciled to dealing with it when / if it happened. Family have been great, especially my wifes no nonsense attitude (She lost her mother while working in Japan) and the fact that one of my brothers was there for my dad when he needed it. If it was just me over here and my Dad there, the whole thing would have been far more traumatic. As it is, you get far too busy organising passports and flights etc, and that helps you to keep going.

TV....I forgot about UK TV. Digital off air...why cant we get that going in canada?. Freeview is great. C-bbies, sky news and sports highlites and all the rest. Content is an individual taste of course, but the widescreen format and picture quality available off air for nothing, plus the additional available digital content, was an eye opener for me compared to the fuzzy crap I pay $50 a month for here. Well worth the license fee.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2007 at 6:56 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your loss Iain. And a very interesting post on your trip too.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom iain. My condolences to you and your family.

Sarah
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:31 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear about your mum.

It is something we have accepted we'll have to deal with but I'm sure that will not make it any easier when the time comes.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

My condolences Iain on your loss.

After reading your post I was struck as that is exactly how I and my OH feel. We love going back for hols, trips to Cornwall, driving down country lanes, visit to the zoo, and I know this is what I miss but also that if/when we go back this won't last for long and then it will be back to the daily grind.

We certainly will not be in a better position financially if we go back, in fact it will be a huge step backwards, but still can't get away from the fact that my sons are missing out on their Nan and grandad and cousins.

Part of me is kicking myself aswell, lived in the UK for 28 years and what exactly did I see, where exactly did I go - the same places year in and out cos that is what the family was happy with. Never have been to the lakes, yorkshire, south wales, forest of dean, sussex downs - made it to scotland on one occasion but for 2 weeks only and then only to two small parts. And yes while I love Cornwall i do regret not travelling more in the UK. Now when we go back the family obligations are there so either we forgoe on these or on where we want to travel.

As for public footpaths - I love them, especially round where my Mum lives - they are used by the very few but can take you into the most extraordinary places.

Thanks very much for your comments again. Karma sent.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:05 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear you had a good trip Iaink

all I can say is my thoughts exactly

I did type up a good paragrapgh about what you said but it seemed to turn into a bit of a rant so i scraped it
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:11 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your mum Iain.

Under the circumstances I am glad that you had a nice time and met up with your friends and relatives
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:33 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting to hear your point of view. As a new arrival to Canada, I've added my thoughts.

Originally Posted by iaink

Wow, its was soooo green. Spring had sprung, the weather was FANTASTIC too.

Yep, living on the west coast I tend to forget that the rest of the country is still waiting for spring. I've never had any complaints with the weather in the UK - I love the green and accepted the changeable weather patterns giving rise to it. Mostly (and more mostly than some parts of Canada) the weather will not kill you in the UK.

So much for kids to do, Warwick Castle was like a dream for my 4 year old. FANTASTIC. So many other options too.

Yep, though if you can afford the entrance fees in many cases. The problems are often also related to an assumed right - some older kids/teenagers seem to have an expectation of being entertained rather than having to actually go out and do something.

It was BRILLIANT to catch up with family, although obviously the circumstances could have been happier.

There are times when Skype just doesn't cut it!

Daily grocery prices seemed a fair bit cheaper than Canada.

Yep, certainly in Vancouver, but that has been true since our first research trip.

Driving was not too bad, the M1 was OK, getting around was OK, but not as easy as Canada. Borrowing a TomTom was a help though. Couldnt live with an M3 / M25 commute everyday though. Got used to narrow twisty roads, roundabouts and manual gearboxes again pretty fast. Lot of diesel powered german executive cars around, in fact a lot of new cars everywhere. Very few old beaters on the road that I saw. General impression was of a lot of disposable income...dont know if its rooted in debt though.

At present, I still look back with fondness at the excellent signage of UK road systems. That may change as the BC signposting (or short notice/ complete lack of) becomes more familiar. Fewer "old beaters" because of the MOT. Emissions standards weed out many vehicles and rusty holes in the bodywork would also lead to many failures - well, if the duct taped examples in Vancouver are repeated elsewhere in the country As for where the money comes from ... I still don't know how my former colleagues could afford to drive the vehicles they did. On the other hand, I've no idea how so many people in Vancouver can afford to drive round in the vehicles they choose.

Customer service is ABYSMAL. Girl actually answered personal mobile call while selling me rail tickets. Not impressed!

Generally the service gets poorer in more affluent areas where people can walk away from a minimum wage job secure in the knowledge they can get another one around the corner. I think Butch alluded to similar problems in Calgary that would seem to supprt this? Certainly I generally have much better service "oop north" and in Northern Ireland than anywhere in the southeast of England

House prices are RIDICULOUS in nearly all places.

Yep, great if you are on the property ladder, hard if you are not. Though again, a sense of entitlement comes into it a bit. People see big houses and that is all many (of my former UK colleagues) want to buy. After renting a room for years, I started out with a one-bedroom flat and worked my way up the chain. Most of my former younger colleagues expected to move from rental to a palace complete with grand garden. The general discontent with their perceived lot in life is one of the aspects of living in Britain I found unappealing. Ambition has to be more substantial than relying on buying lottery tickets. Perhaps I just have low expectations. Our current rental is approximately the same size as the place we left in the UK. Less time cleaning and more time in the mountains!

Travel costs are insane, $150 for 2 to travel by train from Gatwick to Bedford return...WTF!

Ah, but think in terms of density rather than absolute distance

Obsession with schools / living in the right area for a decent school is alive and well, but pretty well justified too.

Cameras EVERYWHERE. Looks like a police state to an outsider. Private security firms in city centers were a surprise too.

Yep, major incentive to leave IMHO.

Real Beer GOOD! (Fullers)

Hoodies / petty crime...didnt see any. Lots of graffiti on and around the train though.

Overcrowding. Actually the bits of London we went through seemed to be pretty well covered for parks and farmland areas around. Nice playgrounds seemed a common feature.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Public Footpaths / Right of way. What a joy, paths everywhere! Dont get that sort of access to the countryside here in Ontario.

Yep, new public access laws have been a real boon - at least given walkers some concrete legal backing. One of the benefits of living in a place that has been more or less run by the same people with the same lives and land ownership (the need to transport goods to market, raise defending armies etc, etc) for a thousand years is the existence of many old rights of way I guess.

My overall conclusion, if you have a house and a decent job to pay for travel and a few awaydays, I cant understand why you would throw it away to come to Canada for the sake of a larger house.

Yep, me neither, but Canada is not just about a larger house for many people (well, us anyway). It is a fine balance and we were able to make the move without "throwing it all away" so we're having a go. So far, it has been very positive - but get back to me in a couple of years

England is a pretty nice place...IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO LIVE IN A NICE AREA. Based on visiting family in Woking Surrey and a North Beds Village, and a friend in Radcliffe near Nottingham.

Lots of people (most of my family for a hundred or so) in England have happy, successful (in their own terms) and contented lives. There are also many people who have unhappy or unsuccessful lives. Sadly, not all of them have the opportunity to make a fresh start whether in the UK or elsewhere.

Was nice to get back home though and get a decent coffee and a shower and sleep in my own bed too.

Nice to know where home is then

Last edited by acer rose; Apr 19th 2007 at 9:19 pm. Reason: tag correction
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:01 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't follow, surely one thing we can all agree on is the lack of quality beer in Canada. There are a few pubs that keep Fullers but they're a long way apart; generally if you want a good pint you either have to go home or to the US.
To be blunt???

Fullers and Quality beer? Not in the same paragraph never mind sentence.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Well. My mum died so we all went over for the funeral. Looking at the UK with my now canadian eyes here are a few impressions I got. (Bearing in mind Im pretty happy in Canada with my lot)

Wow, its was soooo green. Spring had sprung, the weather was FANTASTIC too.

So much for kids to do, Warwick Castle was like a dream for my 4 year old. FANTASTIC. So many other options too.

It was BRILLIANT to catch up with family, although obviously the circumstances could have been happier.

Daily grocery prices seemed a fair bit cheaper than Canada.

Driving was not too bad, the M1 was OK, getting around was OK, but not as easy as Canada. Borrowing a TomTom was a help though. Couldnt live with an M3 / M25 commute everyday though. Got used to narrow twisty roads, roundabouts and manual gearboxes again pretty fast. Lot of diesel powered german executive cars around, in fact a lot of new cars everywhere. Very few old beaters on the road that I saw. General impression was of a lot of disposable income...dont know if its rooted in debt though.

Customer service is ABYSMAL. Girl actually answered personal mobile call while selling me rail tickets. Not impressed!

House prices are RIDICULOUS in nearly all places.

Travel costs are insane, $150 for 2 to travel by train from Gatwick to Bedford return...WTF!

Obsession with schools / living in the right area for a decent school is alive and well, but pretty well justified too.

Cameras EVERYWHERE. Looks like a police state to an outsider. Private security firms in city centers were a surprise too.

Real Beer GOOD! (Fullers)

Hoodies / petty crime...didnt see any. Lots of graffiti on and around the train though.

Overcrowding. Actually the bits of London we went through seemed to be pretty well covered for parks and farmland areas around. Nice playgrounds seemed a common feature.

Public Footpaths / Right of way. What a joy, paths everywhere! Dont get that sort of access to the countryside here in Ontario.

My overall conclusion, if you have a house and a decent job to pay for travel and a few awaydays, I cant understand why you would throw it away to come to Canada for the sake of a larger house. England is a pretty nice place...IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO LIVE IN A NICE AREA. Based on visiting family in Woking Surrey and a North Beds Village, and a friend in Radcliffe near Nottingham.

Was nice to get back home though and get a decent coffee and a shower and sleep in my own bed too.
Again condolances for your loss.

But thank you so much for your post. We have decided to postpone our move to Canada (after lots of deliberation and fact finding) due to my mum's health and realisations that we were putting so much of our lives on hold during the interminable wait for PR.

I now feel strangely liberated for having made the decision to stay. We live in a beautiful cottage in a lovely area of worcestershire within 20 minutes drive of fantastic shopping, culture, arts etc..and are looking at our current situation in a new light and starting to appreciate our close proximity to family, great schools, historical areas, and beautiful countryside.

Perhaps the beautiful weather has affected us all this weekend (global warming....bring it on!); nearly loosing my mum to brain tumour...I don't know. But I think that we have made the right decision for us right now.

Good luck to all of you who have taken the plunge. I admire your courage and resilliance. To those of you who haven't been home in a while please try to stay away from the Daily Mail for your information...the UK is still OK.

PS: We were at Kenilworth castle on Saturday, followed by dinner and pint in lovely country pub....just lovely!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am really sorry to hear about your Mum Iain.

With your new perspective on the UK, does it make you want to return?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for your messages and karma. My mum had been in hospital for a few weeks with what seemed like a fairly minor ailment, without improving due to an underlying leukemia condition, and she got worse quite quickly with heart complications in the last week. It was quite sudden and she died between my booking a flight to go visit and me actually making it there. Of course the thought that something like this might happen is obviously something you consider when moving 3500 miles away, and I think I was sort of reconciled to dealing with it when / if it happened. Family have been great, especially my wifes no nonsense attitude (She lost her mother while working in Japan) and the fact that one of my brothers was there for my dad when he needed it. If it was just me over here and my Dad there, the whole thing would have been far more traumatic. As it is, you get far too busy organising passports and flights etc, and that helps you to keep going.

TV....I forgot about UK TV. Digital off air...why cant we get that going in canada?. Freeview is great. C-bbies, sky news and sports highlites and all the rest. Content is an individual taste of course, but the widescreen format and picture quality available off air for nothing, plus the additional available digital content, was an eye opener for me compared to the fuzzy crap I pay $50 a month for here. Well worth the license fee.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Smiths
Again condolances for your loss.

But thank you so much for your post. We have decided to postpone our move to Canada (after lots of deliberation and fact finding) due to my mum's health and realisations that we were putting so much of our lives on hold during the interminable wait for PR.

I now feel strangely liberated for having made the decision to stay. We live in a beautiful cottage in a lovely area of worcestershire within 20 minutes drive of fantastic shopping, culture, arts etc..and are looking at our current situation in a new light and starting to appreciate our close proximity to family, great schools, historical areas, and beautiful countryside.

Perhaps the beautiful weather has affected us all this weekend (global warming....bring it on!); nearly loosing my mum to brain tumour...I don't know. But I think that we have made the right decision for us right now.

Good luck to all of you who have taken the plunge. I admire your courage and resilliance. To those of you who haven't been home in a while please try to stay away from the Daily Mail for your information...the UK is still OK.

PS: We were at Kenilworth castle on Saturday, followed by dinner and pint in lovely country pub....just lovely!
Good for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.