Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few thoughts

A few thoughts

Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:31 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few thoughts

Sorry to hear about your Mum mate.
Do you not think though that your visit could be compared to someone coming over here for a holiday (obviously you had not so nice circumstances)? Ie. Not everyday living and getting a real feel for it?
I never had a problem with England, I had a great house and lived in a great area. Here in Canada I have a better life, a nicer house and live in a much nicer area. I gave it all up and came here and things are 100% better, nothing thrown away there as far as I can see.
Remember though, the grass is not always greener..... errr ok maybe it might be in England
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No, it will be green for a month in May and then get burned to a toasty brown crisp by July.

Wanderlust...Ive not forgotten, I suspect there is nothing you can do once you decide to look elsewhere anyway, but Im not at all sure its a rational reason to sell up everything and move. Baby / Bathwater interface needs to be closely examined.

On balance I am still happy to be in Canada (just as well as I couldnt afford to move back), but the UK is far from the decaying cesspool of humanity its sometimes portrayed as by the media...if you have the means to live in a reasonable area.
It's not rational, no. It's about something quite primal I think. And you can always come back of course. You're probably wise to stay in Canada - the UK is not going anywhere after all.

Also - I add as an afterthought - it is spectacularly green right now, and there are bluebells out on my way to work, and pink flowering cherry trees along the streets - but - remember the six months of grey British sludge every winter when you've got all that wintry sun and snowfall to enjoy.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:33 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your Mum, my deepest condolences.

Your right about the UK though, I really miss it.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

No, it will be green for a month in May and then get burned to a toasty brown crisp by July.

Wanderlust...Ive not forgotten, I suspect there is nothing you can do once you decide to look elsewhere anyway, but Im not at all sure its a rational reason to sell up everything and move. Baby / Bathwater interface needs to be closely examined.

On balance I am still happy to be in Canada (just as well as I couldnt afford to move back), but the UK is far from the decaying cesspool of humanity its sometimes portrayed as by the media...if you have the means to live in a reasonable area.

Well that HEather mallick woman said this about the nroth of england
the north of England is a giant no-go area. Massive unemployment, low-grade and high-grade crime, terrible schools, a bleak, featureless, hopeless landscape for the young. That's Britain today

Clearly she hasn't been to where we live (yorks), it is hardly a no go area.

I think wanderlust is key and relocation allowances help justify it as well

Gryphea
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

if you have the means to live in a reasonable area.
Thats a pretty big IF!

I think it also depends on how old you are, if you're on the property laddes, what you do for a living, etc.

You are right about not seeing things that are available or in front of you but living somewhere and visiting (even if you used to live there) are two very different things!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Well that HEather mallick woman said this about the nroth of england
the north of England is a giant no-go area. Massive unemployment, low-grade and high-grade crime, terrible schools, a bleak, featureless, hopeless landscape for the young. That's Britain today
I wondered about the "today" part. That's how I've always thought of the north.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wondered about the "today" part. That's how I've always thought of the north.
Its better that way........
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
Sorry to hear about your Mum mate.
Do you not think though that your visit could be compared to someone coming over here for a holiday (obviously you had not so nice circumstances)? Ie. Not everyday living and getting a real feel for it?
I never had a problem with England, I had a great house and lived in a great area. Here in Canada I have a better life, a nicer house and live in a much nicer area. I gave it all up and came here and things are 100% better, nothing thrown away there as far as I can see.
Remember though, the grass is not always greener..... errr ok maybe it might be in England
Im not sure, its not like i didnt live there for 28 years before coming to Canada.

There are problems in the UK, but money helps solves most of them...

Yes, the weather was exceptional, and it would have been a drag had it rained, but it was what it was. But access to the country and all the historic and other attractions were something I guess I had forgotten about. I do have more personal space here though, I just cant (legally) go traipsing through the local farmland.

I think a lot of people think about emigrating simply because a nice area with good schools is simply unattainable for them. My brothers "new house" was bought for Ā£850k, with another Ā£100k or so going into gutting and renovating to go. Granted its going to be beautiful when its done, and worth way more than the investment, and it will be great for his kids, but thats serious money, and he and his wife works all the hours god sends to fund the lifestyle. Id rather spend it with my kids in our modest home to be honest, but thats their choice.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2007 at 2:48 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
Thats a pretty big IF!

I think it also depends on how old you are, if you're on the property laddes, what you do for a living, etc.

You are right about not seeing things that are available or in front of you but living somewhere and visiting (even if you used to live there) are two very different things!
It is a big IF, no argument. But IF you are on the housing ladder, and if you have a decent job, there is a lot to be said for the UK still.

My brothers live there, my best friend lives there, they have a decent life (although my budy is considering Australia primarily due to the lack of job oportunities for consultant surgeons in the UK and the medical licensing restrictions in Canada)

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2007 at 2:54 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your mum

On the other stuff, some good points in the original post. Merry England has a lot to offer in the sunnier months if you like the outdoors and are National Trust oriented. I guess also that a) the grass is always greener, and b) everywhere's always nicer on holiday. I suppose those of us with the emigration bug are naturally pre-disposed to see the good in other places.

I've some experience of living in both the UK and Canada, both have a lot to offer and you can make a good go of it in either; just depends where suits you best for your current needs. We're off to Canada again this Autumn to follow some unique opportunities, aiming for a permanent(ish) move, but I'll always think fondly of England (even if it's always the England of x years ago!).

Glad you enjoyed your trip, the obvious aside. We were up in Yorkshire last weekend for a Christening, some beautiful walking trails.

Cheers, Iain
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences Iain.

My overall conclusion, if you have a house and a decent job to pay for travel and a few awaydays, I cant understand why you would throw it away to come to Canada for the sake of a larger house. England is a pretty nice place...IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO LIVE IN A NICE AREA.
Agree completely. And Scotland's nice too
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Agree completely. And Scotland's nice too
Oh no, rains all the time in Scotland (apparantly )

(Actually you are right....One brother lives in Fife)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

You are right in saying the UK has a lot to offer if you have the cash.

But if you don't have the cash and all you can afford is in a decaying cesspool in the UK, then some may decide to take their cash and buy the good life in Canada (on the cheap).
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:10 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a nice area of the UK doesn't make it ideal.

We lived in beautiful conservation village in Worcestershire, had a picture-postcard thatched cottage and were surrounded by farmland.

We both needed to work to pay the mortgage - I had 25 miles to drive to Warwick, Lyn 20 to Worcester. Neither of us could get our commutes to under an hour and a half. No public transport options either.

We've 2 Border Collies that need plenty of exercise, yet despite almost endless countryside around us, it was all farmed with only 1 public right of way across it. Walking the dogs at 6.45 each morning meant trudging through mud for 6mths of the year, then hose-pipe and towel action at home (oooh err ). Frankly it wasn't something I ever looked forward to.

Canada's given us more space (32 acres, rather than 200ft), more opportunity (a business and rental house), far more agreeable climate (IMO), and access to recreation we'd never have been able to afford or have the time for in the UK, for no more money than the equity we bought with us.

I do miss the history and diversity of character that Europe offers, but Canada provides alternatives, not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Life's not a rehersal, and I think it's good just to experience and something outside of your comfort zone - for us Canada has provided memories and experiences we'd never have dreamed of gaining just 2 years ago. That in itself is enough to justify the decision to move for me.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Iain - also very sorry to hear about your mum - not sure if I missed that, but I did notice you hadn't been on here for a while - hope you and family are getting on OK.

And boy, you did visit when the weather was fab, and was showing off the UK it all it's natural, green glory - thank you for bringing that with you ! But wow, is that unseasonal or what? I don't recall an Easter holiday like it and it makes the thought of all that constant rain in Oct / Nov / Dec a distant memory. Now, then, why am I going ?

Our circs - We have recently sold a (fab, our opinion, of course) house that we built - but we had the huge, not-so-fab mortgage to go with it, and we were hanging ourselves. Just being mortgage-free now, in a rental property, is such a relief. And we have seriously reconsidered our potential move, had another look around at what we could buy here by down-sizing a bit; should/could we stay? And yes, of course we could, but like several have mentioned, that wanderlust/adventure side kicks in too and that has been eating away at us for nearly a decade anyway - so we are going, regardless !!

I don't hate the UK - never have - and I'm not running away from anything - it is a great, beautiful country with culture and history and green, green space. And I'm going to miss the green more than the history or culture !

Being mortgage-free, me giving up work, different scenery, different activities on our doorstep, and, well, basically, a change is what we are aiming for. I take on board all comments about struggles and fitting in, etc, and I don't for a minute doubt there will be an element of that for us too.

We could come back if we wanted to - and we are leaving that door slightly ajar just in case - and I would have no problem in returning. I don't think we are risking too much with money, kids, relationships, etc - but you never know what life is going to throw at you ....

I would have a problem, however, with the "What if's ... "

Good post though - makes us perhaps appreciate more the 'good stuff' and not listen to much to the 'going to the dogs' comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.