British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   A few quick questions on registering for OHIP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/few-quick-questions-registering-ohip-899652/)

rossd01 Jul 15th 2017 5:16 pm

A few quick questions on registering for OHIP

Hi all!

I was one of the April 2016 applicants for spousal sponsorship (was listed on the spreadsheet) which all came through A OK. Landed in Feb 2017 and I'm currently backwards and forwards to the UK whilst i'm packing up our home there.

I'm currently in Toronto on a 2 week vacation so i'm thinking about registering for OHIP, basically so its all set up when i arrive later in the year and there will be no need for extra medical insurance. I arranged a bank account and credit card in february 2017 so i could satisfy the residence requirements for ohip i.e. proof of residence through monthly bank statements. I have no other proof or residence other than bank statements (all be it estatements, but these look exactly the same as mailed bank statements (its RBC).

So! My question(s) if anyone can help:

- if i register for ohip just now, will i be liable for any tax bills etc later in the year i.e. for ohip health care?

- As i landed in february 2017 (effectively), will ohip be immediate for me? I.e. no 3 month waiting period?

- Do you reckon estatements will be enough for proof of residence? They literally look exactly the same as mailed bank statements, minus the small print on the reverse side. In short, they would have no proof i 'didn't' receive them in the mail. (i do have credit card statements, but i don't think they suffice).

Basically, i'm trying to avoid being hit with any big bills i.e. tax for being on ohip (when i'm not here) or paying for my own medical insurance during a waiting period when i could in effect start that waiting period now. On top of that, i'm trying to do it so its all set up for when i arrive later in the year.

Any help greatly appreciated folks! :)

Aviator Jul 15th 2017 5:36 pm

Re: A few quick questions on registering for OHIP

Residence is actually living there. You have to be be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.

'
currently in Toronto on a 2 week vacation' This is not resident, you are a tourist and therefore not eligible.

Questions and Answers - Ontario Health Insurance Plan - Ministry Programs - Public Information - MOHLTC

Your eligibility and 3 month waiting period starts when you take up residency, as in living there.

MarylandNed Jul 16th 2017 5:08 am

In addition to the previous reply, you can register as soon as you actually establish residency - they'll send the OHIP card to you approx 3 months later. Don't wait until the 3 month waiting period is up before registering. If you do wait, they'll backdate your application to the date residency was established but you'll have to be able to prove that date.

Trinkers Jul 18th 2017 9:10 am

rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask this here. I need to arrange medical cover until I get my OHIP. What sort of level of medical insurance do I require ( hospitals/doctors, critical illness etc) and as a Canadian citizen, do I still have to provide a permanent residence before applying? As I won't have a permanent place until I arrive and start looking.

Thanks in advance

Siouxie Jul 18th 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Trinkers (Post 12296859)
rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask this here. I need to arrange medical cover until I get my OHIP. What sort of level of medical insurance do I require ( hospitals/doctors, critical illness etc) and as a Canadian citizen, do I still have to provide a permanent residence before applying? As I won't have a permanent place until I arrive and start looking.

Thanks in advance

One way or immigrant insurance would probably cover most of what you need, or else an insurance from Blue Cross or similar in Canada. You have to prove that you are residing in Ontario even as a Citizen - and wait 3 months for it to start.

Questions and Answers - Ontario Health Insurance Plan - Ministry Programs - Public Information - MOHLTC

:)

Dailogs Jul 24th 2017 6:28 pm

In Ottawa they would not look at my entitlement to OHIP until I could produce a PR paper stapled in my passport. Then I waited 3 months.

By the way, we pay towards OHIP in our taxes every year