Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Few questions !

Few questions !

Old May 6th 2019, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Fraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Few questions !

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada

That was probably me in the other thread! Yep I spend $1,500 a month on just food (doesn’t include household stuff like cleaning materials, alcohol). I find it’s a huge amount more than in the UK, but then we never really ate at home during the week as we’d all eat at work/school/childminders whereas now I make packed lunches for everyone and I now feed my kids during the week which I didn’t before. But still, it feels like a lot.

Don’t know if it’s just me clueless shopping but I shop at a very basic supermarket (No Frills) and Costco for bulk items and meat. I am getting more savvy about what/how to buy and reducing it a bit everything month though.
yes i think it was I realised after ! I’ve see a few saying similar figures though , this is the cost which worries me the most as we shop at Aldi at home and eat very well all fresh home cooked meals for a very reasonable amount it’s going to be a huge difference !
Old May 6th 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

As I say, it’s fine but there’s a few things we don’t like:

- it’s super expensive to buy a house here, you definitely get more for your money East of Toronto

- there is a huge immigrant population here dominated by one or two cultures. We’d like to live somewhere that’s a bit more of a mixture of people from all over and more multi-generational Canadians (though that’s an area thing rather than a town/city thing). To give you an idea, no kids in either of my kids classes in elementary school were born in Canada. I’d just like to be somewhere where there’s a bit more variety of cultures.

- it’s really busy here and very densely populated, we’re next to the airport so it’s noisy too

- we’re too far from the GO train line we want to be on and it’s unlikely we could afford to be close enough for us in this city

- same with proximity to the lake front - we’d rather be closer but can’t afford to here.

- it’s a big city in it’s own right (700,000 people approx) and we would rather have a smaller town feel if we can. Again, might not be a Mississauga thing, more about just finding the right area for us.

We’re looking for a house across a fairly large area so just honing in on specific areas we like and keeping an eye out for anything coming on the market.

It sounds funny to see an immigrant complaining that their children are in classes full of other immigrants

It's called diversity, and encouragement of immigration

But that is something that happens .......... we used to really note when there was more than one Canadian-born person at the table when we went out to dinner.
Old May 6th 2019, 8:35 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
It sounds funny to see an immigrant complaining that their children are in classes full of other immigrants

It's called diversity, and encouragement of immigration

But that is something that happens .......... we used to really note when there was more than one Canadian-born person at the table when we went out to dinner.
ah but my issue isn’t that we’re surrounded by immigrants. Obviously that’s fine otherwise I wouldn’t have moved to Canada as an immigrant myself.

My issue was that we’re in an area that only has very recent immigrants from one particular country.

I would prefer to be in an area that is more diverse and has a mixture of people from different backgrounds, cultures and have been in the country for different amounts of time.
Old May 7th 2019, 4:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fraserl

thats good to hear they like Aurora I’m so nervous and really wanted to get a good area ! It’s really catch 22 with the schools isn’t it, our destination person said the same they won’t speak to you at all until you live here in the catchment. How do you pick an area until you’ve seen the schools and get a feel for them etc , and then what if I choose a house in the catchment and then visit the school and we don’t like it, or they don’t have space ? Not sure if that ever an an issue. We’ve heard aurora high is good so will try get house in catchment for that. Really need an elementary which provides before and after school care aswell.
Don't overthink this and stress yourself out! Schools are different here - there isn't really a 'good school / bad school' thing - more that they are all much of a muchness! You can do a lot of online research about the school - see photos of it, see what their curriculum comprises of, what after school activities are available... just by looking at their website (all schools have websites) There's also https://ratemyteachers.com/ca/ontario/aurora though I suspect the reviews may be a little subjective, lol! You could also look at the local paper to see any stories about the school https://www.yorkregion.com/aurora-on/

Find an area that offers most of what you are looking for - space / transit / close to things that you like... and the school will follow from that. google maps can give you an idea of distances to local transit, restaurants, shops, hospitals etc., too.
Do have a read about education in Canada in our wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...ucation-Canada

As I say, it’s fine but there’s a few things we don’t like:

- it’s super expensive to buy a house here, you definitely get more for your money East of Toronto

- there is a huge immigrant population here dominated by one or two cultures. We’d like to live somewhere that’s a bit more of a mixture of people from all over and more multi-generational Canadians (though that’s an area thing rather than a town/city thing). To give you an idea, no kids in either of my kids classes in elementary school were born in Canada. I’d just like to be somewhere where there’s a bit more variety of cultures.

- it’s really busy here and very densely populated, we’re next to the airport so it’s noisy too

- we’re too far from the GO train line we want to be on and it’s unlikely we could afford to be close enough for us in this city

- same with proximity to the lake front - we’d rather be closer but can’t afford to here.

- it’s a big city in it’s own right (700,000 people approx) and we would rather have a smaller town feel if we can. Again, might not be a Mississauga thing, more about just finding the right area for us.

We’re looking for a house across a fairly large area so just honing in on specific areas we like and keeping an eye out for anything coming on the market.
Burlington may be a better fit for you! Trains to Toronto... (or a Go Bus .. coach) - lakefront... a beach a bit further along.. festivals... diversity... English pubs, a plethora of restaurants, a pier of sorts! It has a nice downtown core.. kid friendly spaces.. public transit... not too big, not too small... or for a smaller town feel, Georgetown perhaps.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 7th 2019 at 5:13 am.
Old May 7th 2019, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Fraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond reputeFraserl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Don't overthink this and stress yourself out! Schools are different here - there isn't really a 'good school / bad school' thing - more that they are all much of a muchness! You can do a lot of online research about the school - see photos of it, see what their curriculum comprises of, what after school activities are available... just by looking at their website (all schools have websites) There's also https://ratemyteachers.com/ca/ontario/aurora though I suspect the reviews may be a little subjective, lol! You could also look at the local paper to see any stories about the school https://www.yorkregion.com/aurora-on/

Find an area that offers most of what you are looking for - space / transit / close to things that you like... and the school will follow from that. google maps can give you an idea of distances to local transit, restaurants, shops, hospitals etc., too.

Do have a read about education in Canada in our wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...ucation-Canada

Really helpful thank you

Last edited by Siouxie; May 7th 2019 at 7:04 pm. Reason: fixes the quote
Old May 8th 2019, 7:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

That was probably me in the other thread! Yep I spend $1,500 a month on just food (doesn’t include household stuff like cleaning materials, alcohol). I find it’s a huge amount more than in the UK, but then we never really ate at home during the week as we’d all eat at work/school/childminders whereas now I make packed lunches for everyone and I now feed my kids during the week which I didn’t before. But still, it feels like a lot.

Don’t know if it’s just me clueless shopping but I shop at a very basic supermarket (No Frills) and Costco for bulk items and meat. I am getting more savvy about what/how to buy and reducing it a bit everything month though.
$1500 per month does seem an inordinately high number for groceries. We're a family of 5 (plus a dog), I take lunch to work most days (usually an extra portion from the previous evening's supper), the kids take lunch to school every day, most evenings we eat fresh food cooked from scratch. We try to build a shopping list around a weekly menu plan to accommodate everyone's activities, although that's usually out the window by about day 3 due to changes in plans, running late at work, extra practices for band or choir or sports, and so on. Most weeks our grocery bill is around the $200 mark. We usually shop at a mainstream store - Canadian Superstore, one of several Loblaw brands - rather than a discount store.