feeling low!

Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

jinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nice
Default feeling low!

hi everyone,

So here I am, We moved from the UK in Mid Dec 2008, have now been in Toronto for a month.
Experience so far..
Honestly it's not been great, I hate the TV, Can't get a job, find the food prices to be very expereince! have had enough of the snow!
Vegetarian food seems to be non exisistant.

The only plus pointm, I have a 5yr old who is enjoying school..

I'm feeling very sad, and low! I wonder if I've made the wrong decision about moving, I've already considered moving back to the UK..

ohh I'm sorry but I have nothing positive to write about!

$15 an hour seens like a basic wage here..

I don't think I can do this

I wanna go home.........................

:-(

Jinn
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeling low!

Originally Posted by jinn

Lots of Indian food is vegetarian, get yourself to Coxwell and Gerrard.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:24 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving at the start of winter makes it all seem worse. Give it at least six months, if not a year and you will start to find your feet.

Probably feeling a bit of cabin fever along with the homesickness, but with any luck as summer comes along (honest, it will eventually), and you get a foot up on the job market, hoepefully things will start to look better. Try signing up for things to get you out and about and meeting people...many jobs come about that way here, and it will at least help keep you a bit sane. What sort of work are you looking for by the way?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:27 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I think expecting to settle in, find work and not be experiencing some anxieties within little more than a month of arrival is unrealistic. I believe it takes at least a year to find your feet, make some friends and feel like you're part of a community here and not just a displaced individual.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

jinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nice

hey,

I know but seriously today I feel down, just don't want to be here!
I cried, and cried don't know how to get myself up again! need to get myself together.

Talking of work, I used to work for an underwriting agency in central London as a Credit Analyst, my background is mainly Credit and at the moment it seems to be hard to find anything in this field.

Please tell me things will be better....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:32 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

I totally sympathise with you i've had many bouts of feeling low, lonely and sometimes just want to wake up and be back in the UK.

What advise i can give you is give yourself a little more time.

What were the motivations for the move?

For me the added complication is i am married to a Canadian and generally we are much better off here than we were in the UK.

Often in January and Febuary i just can't seem to get my mind off the UK i've heard there is such a thing as 'winter depression' which for me is a bit severe as i'm not that depressed but my method of viewing things changes and i do start to get homesick. As Iain said already in the summer you may find your spirits lifted.

It's hard to judge your best decision as some people have waited and still hated it and others have waited and loved it after the initial wall.

It really did help when i got a job and was working regulaly.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,

So here I am, We moved from the UK in Mid Dec 2008, have now been in Toronto for a month.
Experience so far..
Honestly it's not been great, I hate the TV, Can't get a job, find the food prices to be very expereince! have had enough of the snow!

The only plus pointm, I have a 5yr old who is enjoying school..

I'm feeling very sad, and low! I wonder if I've made the wrong decision about moving, I've already considered moving back to the UK..

ohh I'm sorry but I have nothing positive to write about!

$15 an hour seens like a basic wage here..

I don't think I can do this

I wanna go home.........................

:-(

Jinn
Hi Jinn

sorry to hear you're having a tough time I really hope things start to improve soon. I'm sure a lot of people on hear know exactly how you feel it's not easy moving away from everything familiar. It's also a crappy time of year to be looking for work I alway found January in Toronto pretty grim. I'm sure once you find work things will be a little easier. Good luck
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:37 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Treat the work situation as a positive -get things done and get involved in things that would normally not be possible with a full time job. You need to consciously choose a positive attitude to your situation.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Our main reason for moving was our children, as mentioned before we have a 5yr old and a 2 yr old, everyting in the UK just seemed to be getting bad, we thought a move here will be good for our children and gives us all a new start.

I have started to miss the London life, my job, certain foods.. especially TV..anyway I can get UKTV here.?

Anyone know of an Iceland type store here? mississauga.

I think I'm gonna give it somemore time here but come the summer if things have'nt improved and I still don't like it. We might have to move back to the UK.

Anyone ,know of people who have actually gone back home?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Do you check the flyers to see what food is on offer? Such as http://www.loblaws.ca/en/thisWeeksFlyer.aspx

Don't discount the drugstores which often have great deals on pop, cereals, bread, toilet paper, coffee, cookies.....

It's easy to save $$$ by making a list....especially if you're free to make a short trip to two supermarkets instead of one long one.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Well I'm one of them but that was after just over 8 years. Also check out the Moving Back forum on this site.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Our main reason for moving was our children, as mentioned before we have a 5yr old and a 2 yr old, everyting in the UK just seemed to be getting bad, we thought a move here will be good for our children and gives us all a new start.

I have started to miss the London life, my job, certain foods.. especially TV..anyway I can get UKTV here.?

I think I'm gonna give it somemore time here but come the summer if things have'nt improved and I still don't like it. We might have to move back to the UK.

If you have a car you could try Costco for shopping. I know several people who went home and others who moved on to somewhere else, I wouldn't do either until the end of summer. Canada is miserable in the winter, you may feel that summer in Mississauga makes up for it.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:52 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly is an Iceland type store?

There's no doubt moving her in the winter can be depressing when you've got not family to contact. I'm sure if I moved to Glasgow, Manchester or Newcastle in a UK winter I would be depressed also. You also moved shortly before Christmas, to add to your low state.
It truly is very early to talk about going back. What does your husband think about it? What type of work are you looking for? Would you be prepared to take almost anything?
If you're in Mississauga get on the GO train into the city and walk around. Not today, of course.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Lots have returned just look in the return to the UK forum,
Sorry you are having a rough time, like the others have said get involved apart from the fact it will give you more to focus on it may lead to contacts re a job

I hope you feel better once the snow has gone and spring is in the air, try and remember why you left here in the first place and if all else fails return ?

Have you and the family tried some of the winter sports, its a bit hard for the 2 yr old but im sure you can get around that,

Also look at the job markets here esp in London the jobs are going daily
may be in the same sittuation here ? what about trying else where for a job,

Hope you feel better soon if not go to the doctors and get some help,
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly is an Iceland type store?

There's no doubt moving her in the winter can be depressing when you've got not family to contact. I'm sure if I moved to Glasgow, Manchester or Newcastle in a UK winter I would be depressed also. You also moved shortly before Christmas, to add to your low state.
It truly is very early to talk about going back. What does your husband think about it? What type of work are you looking for? Would you be prepared to take almost anything? The basic (minimum) wage is less than $10 per hour.
If you're in Mississauga get on the GO train into the city and walk around. Not today, of course but as soon as weather is better. Have you been into the underground shopping area/Eaton Centre? There's lots to do but it won't come to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.