Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Nathanwatson1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Hi all.

New to the forum so hoping nothing I post is against any rules.

I was hoping to get some good first hand advice about starting the process of immigrating to Canada, all avenues I've tried so far to listen to honest advice have mislead me or tried to scam me for thousands.

I'm looking at moving to Canada with my wife and children on a permanent basis but feel like im going round in circles and getting nowhere with the application process.

I'm a heavy plant mechanic with all the relevant qualifications and experience, from what I've read there is a skill shortage in this area so was going to apply hoping that this would contribute to my eligibility.

My plan was to use a consultant to help me through the process due to my current work demand but it looks like a mine field for scammers and fraudsters.... Has anyone used this route or heard positive things about a specific consultancy.

Also started to try the application process myself in the evenings but can't proceed with any application without doing an English test and providing results, again from what I've read this test can only be done in Canada. Or am I completely of track.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:23 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Originally Posted by Nathanwatson1990
Hi all. New to the forum so hoping nothing I post is against any rules. I was hoping to get some good first hand advice about starting the process of immigrating to Canada, all avenues I've tried so far to listen to honest advice have mislead me or tried to scam me for thousands. I'm looking at moving to Canada with my wife and children on a permanent basis but feel like im going round in circles and getting nowhere with the application process. I'm a heavy plant mechanic with all the relevant qualifications and experience, from what I've read there is a skill shortage in this area so was going to apply hoping that this would contribute to my eligibility. My plan was to use a consultant to help me through the process due to my current work demand but it looks like a mine field for scammers and fraudsters.... Has anyone used this route or heard positive things about a specific consultancy. Also started to try the application process myself in the evenings but can't proceed with any application without doing an English test and providing results, again from what I've read this test can only be done in Canada. Or am I completely of track. Any advice greatly appreciated
I'm pretty sure you don't have to come to Canada to do the language test.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You can do the IELTS English test in the UK and many other countries.

Only the CELPIP test is Canada-only.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that any agent you might use is ICCRC accredited.
Use this link to find ICCRC members.
https://www.iccrc-crcic.ca/home.cfm?setLanCookie=En
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

New to the forum so hoping nothing I post is against any rules.

I was hoping to get some good first hand advice about starting the process of immigrating to Canada, all avenues I've tried so far to listen to honest advice have mislead me or tried to scam me for thousands.

I'm looking at moving to Canada with my wife and children on a permanent basis but feel like im going round in circles and getting nowhere with the application process.

I'm a heavy plant mechanic with all the relevant qualifications and experience, from what I've read there is a skill shortage in this area so was going to apply hoping that this would contribute to my eligibility.

My plan was to use a consultant to help me through the process due to my current work demand but it looks like a mine field for scammers and fraudsters.... Has anyone used this route or heard positive things about a specific consultancy.

Also started to try the application process myself in the evenings but can't proceed with any application without doing an English test and providing results, again from what I've read this test can only be done in Canada. Or am I completely of track.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Over here that's called a landscape gardener if that helps.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Heavy Plant Mechanic (or Millwright as it's more commonly known here) was a skill shortage for a while, but with all the layoffs in O&G recently, there's an abundance of them looking for work right now, so you'll be at a huge disadvantage straight off since you don't have eligibilty to work here yet

Also, most of the work is situated in the most remote shitholes you can imagine, I'm in a town right now that has a choice of Subway or Tim Hortons to eat at, and one small Sobeys that's open 9-5...doesn't really help me on the nightshift!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'd be surprised if there was a skill shortage (as per Haggis's post above), but even if there was that would have no bearing on your eligibility. Assuming you're talking about an Express Entry application, there are various things that are factors in being eligible (mainly your points score), but your occupation isn't going to be treated more favourably than anybody else applying. It's all down to what you score on the CRS, and if you score enough you'll be invited to apply for PR, regardless of your occupation.

As above, if you do use a consultant (most people on the forum don't - it's not usually necessary unless you have complicated circumstances), make sure they're properly licensed by ICCRC. And do check this forum for reviews of any companies, as even if they are registered, they can still be pretty rubbish unfortunately!

As above, yes, you are - IELTS can be done anywhere in the world, you can just go to the IELTS website to find your nearest test centre. That's the first step, along with applying for your ECA, but do check you'd score enough on the CRS to be selected first (above approx 450-480 as a minimum as a rough guide), otherwise there's no point in spending several hundred pounds on getting those things done.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:33 am
Just Joined

crazycooter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi first welcome to the forum :-) the IELTS English test can be taken in the UK.
I done mine last week strait forward tests. I would be very careful of consultants migration groups i am using one and deem them a waste of money. They cost a fortune and what they do you can do your self im also new to this forum and posts ive read in the past 3 weeks has helped me more than my migration company. As to getting a job my wife has tried for almost a year with no success the job offers came don't get me wrong but the LMIA process was to long and they couldn't wait. Please don't let this put you off as we chose another way which suited us a college route. the college route is costly but our family unit all get in to Canada. My wife as well as do college can work part time and i can work full time with an open visa no LMIA needed as we had the funds available this option suited us better. Hope any of this helps
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazycooter
the college route is costly but our family unit all get in to Canada.
Just for the sake of the OP, just wanted to point out that your visa route is only a temporary solution, and if he did want to stay permanently (as it sounds like), then he'd still need to find a way to apply for PR once there.

Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Hi first welcome to the forum :-) the IELTS English test can be taken in the UK.
I done mine last week strait forward tests. I would be very careful of consultants migration groups i am using one and deem them a waste of money. They cost a fortune and what they do you can do your self im also new to this forum and posts ive read in the past 3 weeks has helped me more than my migration company. As to getting a job my wife has tried for almost a year with no success the job offers came don't get me wrong but the LMIA process was to long and they couldn't wait. Please don't let this put you off as we chose another way which suited us a college route. the college route is costly but our family unit all get in to Canada. My wife as well as do college can work part time and i can work full time with an open visa no LMIA needed as we had the funds available this option suited us better. Hope any of this helps
Did you pass?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Heavy Plant Mechanic (or Millwright as it's more commonly known here) was a skill shortage for a while, but with all the layoffs in O&G recently, there's an abundance of them looking for work right now, so you'll be at a huge disadvantage straight off since you don't have eligibilty to work here yet

Also, most of the work is situated in the most remote shitholes you can imagine, I'm in a town right now that has a choice of Subway or Tim Hortons to eat at, and one small Sobeys that's open 9-5...doesn't really help me on the nightshift!
This true. My son is in Alberta at the moment training up to open a new Quebec branch of a machinery-related company. The company there recently advertised for a machinist. The advert got several hundred applications immediately.

It's the same in the mining sector. A couple of years ago, if you wanted a drilling rig, heavy plant or God forbid, the sodding great Caterpillar tyres ($40k a pop and bought in sets of six), you'd be on a waiting list for 18 months. These days, you can have what you want, when you want it and on your terms.

It's a good time to build a mine, if you can get the financing, which you won't.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:26 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Did you pass?
Looks pukka to me.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Christmasoompa yes it is temporary but in our case leads to three other options for PR ie PGWP CEC AND PNP as im a mechanic (20 years) will be trying to work in my trade and my wife in hers early childhood educator. Both are class B for EE I know no one is guaranteed PR status but seem best route for us.

Tirytory should have don't get results for one more week. That said it was really easy. Hardest part was the writing. As i haven't wrote an essay in almost 25 years, but mine was simple 1st one an email to your boss 150 words 2nd one youth crime 250 words easy subject as i live in Liverpool
Old Feb 25th 2016, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Tirytory should have don't get results for one more week. That said it was really easy. Hardest part was the writing. As i haven't wrote an essay in almost 25 years, but mine was simple 1st one an email to your boss 150 words 2nd one youth crime 250 words easy subject as i live in Liverpool
I *think* that Tirytory *might* have been gently pointing out that your posts here may not be an accurate demonstration of your English language abilities...
Old Feb 25th 2016, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

I type fast and don't check on a forum not the same a test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.