Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall. (Newbie)

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Gotta be honest, I'm not dissing anyone but CV looks a bit of a boring/dry read- horses for courses I suppose
CV is good for the sheer number of people on there. If you're trying to accurately estimate when you're going to hear back from CIC about something, checking their timelines/spreadsheets can help out and comparing anecdotes. However, I have never been able to get questions answered or get good advice from there. Most of the members seem to be from a certain area of the world... While that's not a problem per se, I think that there's a very big shift in attitude as to reasoning for immigrating and reactions to the way things turn out.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 5:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
CV is good for the sheer number of people on there. If you're trying to accurately estimate when you're going to hear back from CIC about something, checking their timelines/spreadsheets can help out and comparing anecdotes. However, I have never been able to get questions answered or get good advice from there. Most of the members seem to be from a certain area of the world... While that's not a problem per se, I think that there's a very big shift in attitude as to reasoning for immigrating and reactions to the way things turn out.
No CV version of Oink then?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
This true. My son is in Alberta at the moment training up to open a new Quebec branch of a machinery-related company. The company there recently advertised for a machinist. The advert got several hundred applications immediately.

It's the same in the mining sector. A couple of years ago, if you wanted a drilling rig, heavy plant or God forbid, the sodding great Caterpillar tyres ($40k a pop and bought in sets of six), you'd be on a waiting list for 18 months. These days, you can have what you want, when you want it and on your terms.

It's a good time to build a mine, if you can get the financing, which you won't.
Do they need a mechanical design engineer...? Don't ask you don't get!
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nads1
3. If you are eligible, you MUST DO English IELTs test AND have all your qualifications evaluated by WES - World Evaluation Services.
Just noting that for registered professions (such as engineering) when getting qualifications checked its probably worth registering or at least checking out the professional body of the province you're intending to go to. With Alberta, APEGA state which body and what level of qualification assessment they require. This will save you using the 'wrong' service and then having to pay again when you go through professional registration.

I'm not sure this applies to the OP, but felt it worth noting to save someone a few hundred dollars.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:21 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I use CV to check the 'reasons for rejection' thread and to get timescales on RPRF and PPR. I do find that some of the information is inaccurate and more geared towards the part of the world that I think you are talking about...
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I use CV to check the 'reasons for rejection' thread and to get timescales on RPRF and PPR. I do find that some of the information is inaccurate and more geared towards the part of the world that I think you are talking about...
India? Can we not say India?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
India? Can we not say India?
I'd say East of Suez, mainly

The sheer volume of posters, uncorrected misinformation, lack of organization/sensible moderation on that particular site make it not very useful to Brit would-be-expats, IMO.

It's also run by an immigration lawyer/consultancy...