British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Fantastic landing experience at YYZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/fantastic-landing-experience-yyz-441420/)

brummie_babe Apr 11th 2007 4:31 pm

Fantastic landing experience at YYZ

First of all a huge thank you goes out to each and every person on this forum who have taken the time to post helpful and useful information to all of the people who are either in the process of moving to Canada or for those who are already here. The information has helped me immensely in making the transition over to Canada as a SW PR.

My 2 children aged 11 and 16 and I landed on Saturday 7th April. We flew from Manchester with Zoom airlines.

I initially had a few problems with my booking. Our original flights were booked in September 06. However in December I had a call from Zoom telling me that my flight booked for the 8th April had been cancelled. I was offered a full refund or the choice to travel on the 7th , which I accepted....
Due to the fact that they were prepared to refund the flight I asked if I could use the Muchmore discount code, to which I was told to write in for the discount to be refunded back to my credit card.
That evening I received an email from Zoom stating that they wanted a further 120 pounds(40 pounds per person travelling on premium upgrade) for the new air tax that had been implemented.
To cut a long story short, I refused to pay as they had not stated this at the time of making the new booking.
After writing a few emails to the customer service manager, the 120 pound tax was dropped and I also received the 10% discount even though we had booked one way tickets:D

The check-in at Manchester went well, considering I was
way over the baggage allowance. I was originally going to be charged 238 pounds, however the lady at the check-in called her manager and asked if they could waiver some of the charges as I was immigrating...The cost was reduced to 150 pounds!

The flight and service was fantastic....well worth the upgrade.

We arrived at YYZ around 17.30. After leaving the plane we made our way to immigration, the whole feeling was very surreal as it finally rung home that this was not going to be a holiday....We had finally landed as PR's.

We made our way to the first check point, had our landing cards crossed with pink marker pen and then directed to another section.
Waited around 5 mins before an immigration officer took us into a cubical and processed our paper work. I was asked how much funds I had to settle, however was not asked for any proof. We were not required to have our pictures taken again either as the ones on our landing docs were taken by a professional photographer in the UK.
The officer was very pleasant and welcomed us to Canada.

We then sent to a lady who gave us the welcome packs that contained the information for SIN and child benefit etc...again a pleasant lady who welcomed us to Canada.

Picked up our luggage and went to the final check point. We were the only people being processed at the time. The atmosphere was really laid back. I gave the immigration officer my goods to follow and goods accompanied list...Thanks to the contibutions on this forum for the fillable forms :thumbsup:
The officer was very impressed that the forms had been typed.
My younger son was getting a little tiered at this point and the officer noted this...He asked my son if he wanted a job with for the Canadian Immigration....My son replied..."How much do I get paid"! The officer laughed and called him round the counter and let him stamp every one of our documents, while he went off to photocopy.

The final thing for us to do was to obtain a receipt for the goods and that was it!

The officer welcomed us to Canada and wished the boys and I the best of luck with our new life in Canada...A fantastic experience, the whole process took around 55 minutes.

I have now been in Canada for 5 days...So far I have:
* Registered and obtained our SIN numbers

*Picked up my bank cards and cheque books from HSBC...The account was opened from the UK. Thanks again to the info posted on this forum :thumbsup:
As a side note, when the account was opened back in Dec 06 an account advisor emailed me from the branch in Canada to introduce herself and opened up a sterling account for me to transfer my funds into, she even emailed me and told me when the exchange rate had hit 2.31 back in Feb! It was really nice actually going to the bank to meet her.

* Obtained a cell number. I purchased a Rogers sim card that gives me 200 mins during the day, free local calls after 6. I was able to put the sim straight into my samsung D600 which I brought from the UK I paid $25 for the sim card. The monthly cost will be around $34 inc tax a month. The best thing is that I'm not tied to a contract and can cancel the plan at any time.

Finally...
*Registered my 11 year old in school yesterday...He started his first day today!
My 16 year old will be returning to the UK to complete the first year of his A levels, come back to Cnada in the summer to enrol for the last year of High School here.

My shipment of goods have already arrived in Canada last weekend. I sent them via Allied Pickfords in Feb.
I had been contacted by their sister company in Canada before I landed and completed the documentation for them to clear customs and deliver our goods....The only additional thing that I had to do was fax over the stamped documents once I had landed...This was done on Monday.
I'm expecting my goods to be delivered by the weekend.

Well thats it for now....So much more to tell, I'll update more as the week goes on.

Please can you advise on Medical cover for the first 90...not sure who to contact...

Thanks in advance

Brummie_babe

purple80 Apr 11th 2007 4:44 pm

Re: Fantastic landing experience at YYZ

Wow, sounds like you had a fantastic time, well done and congratulations.
:wub: Charlie :wub:

Souvenir Apr 11th 2007 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by brummie_babe (Post 4627133)
First of all a huge thank you goes out to each and every person on this forum who have taken the time to post helpful and useful information to all of the people who are either in the process of moving to Canada or for those who are already here. The information has helped me immensely in making the transition over to Canada as a SW PR.

My 2 children aged 11 and 16 and I landed on Saturday 7th April. We flew from Manchester with Zoom airlines.

I initially had a few problems with my booking. Our original flights were booked in September 06. However in December I had a call from Zoom telling me that my flight booked for the 8th April had been cancelled. I was offered a full refund or the choice to travel on the 7th , which I accepted....
Due to the fact that they were prepared to refund the flight I asked if I could use the Muchmore discount code, to which I was told to write in for the discount to be refunded back to my credit card.
That evening I received an email from Zoom stating that they wanted a further 120 pounds(40 pounds per person travelling on premium upgrade) for the new air tax that had been implemented.
To cut a long story short, I refused to pay as they had not stated this at the time of making the new booking.
After writing a few emails to the customer service manager, the 120 pound tax was dropped and I also received the 10% discount even though we had booked one way tickets:D

The check-in at Manchester went well, considering I was
way over the baggage allowance. I was originally going to be charged 238 pounds, however the lady at the check-in called her manager and asked if they could waiver some of the charges as I was immigrating...The cost was reduced to 150 pounds!

The flight and service was fantastic....well worth the upgrade.

We arrived at YYZ around 17.30. After leaving the plane we made our way to immigration, the whole feeling was very surreal as it finally rung home that this was not going to be a holiday....We had finally landed as PR's.

We made our way to the first check point, had our landing cards crossed with pink marker pen and then directed to another section.
Waited around 5 mins before an immigration officer took us into a cubical and processed our paper work. I was asked how much funds I had to settle, however was not asked for any proof. We were not required to have our pictures taken again either as the ones on our landing docs were taken by a professional photographer in the UK.
The officer was very pleasant and welcomed us to Canada.

We then sent to a lady who gave us the welcome packs that contained the information for SIN and child benefit etc...again a pleasant lady who welcomed us to Canada.

Picked up our luggage and went to the final check point. We were the only people being processed at the time. The atmosphere was really laid back. I gave the immigration officer my goods to follow and goods accompanied list...Thanks to the contibutions on this forum for the fillable forms :thumbsup:
The officer was very impressed that the forms had been typed.
My younger son was getting a little tiered at this point and the officer noted this...He asked my son if he wanted a job with for the Canadian Immigration....My son replied..."How much do I get paid"! The officer laughed and called him round the counter and let him stamp every one of our documents, while he went off to photocopy.

The final thing for us to do was to obtain a receipt for the goods and that was it!

The officer welcomed us to Canada and wished the boys and I the best of luck with our new life in Canada...A fantastic experience, the whole process took around 55 minutes.

I have now been in Canada for 5 days...So far I have:
* Registered and obtained our SIN numbers

*Picked up my bank cards and cheque books from HSBC...The account was opened from the UK. Thanks again to the info posted on this forum :thumbsup:
As a side note, when the account was opened back in Dec 06 an account advisor emailed me from the branch in Canada to introduce herself and opened up a sterling account for me to transfer my funds into, she even emailed me and told me when the exchange rate had hit 2.31 back in Feb! It was really nice actually going to the bank to meet her.

* Obtained a cell number. I purchased a Rogers sim card that gives me 200 mins during the day, free local calls after 6. I was able to put the sim straight into my samsung D600 which I brought from the UK I paid $25 for the sim card. The monthly cost will be around $34 inc tax a month. The best thing is that I'm not tied to a contract and can cancel the plan at any time.

Finally...
*Registered my 11 year old in school yesterday...He started his first day today!
My 16 year old will be returning to the UK to complete the first year of his A levels, come back to Cnada in the summer to enrol for the last year of High School here.

My shipment of goods have already arrived in Canada last weekend. I sent them via Allied Pickfords in Feb.
I had been contacted by their sister company in Canada before I landed and completed the documentation for them to clear customs and deliver our goods....The only additional thing that I had to do was fax over the stamped documents once I had landed...This was done on Monday.
I'm expecting my goods to be delivered by the weekend.

Well thats it for now....So much more to tell, I'll update more as the week goes on.

Please can you advise on Medical cover for the first 90...not sure who to contact...

Thanks in advance

Brummie_babe

Welcome to Canada. Glad to hear that your initial experiences were good ones.

For medical insurance, try Blue Cross (they are in the phone book). People I knew in CIC suggested them to me. If you have a credit card, you can get "activated" over the phone.

brummie_babe Apr 11th 2007 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 4627206)
Welcome to Canada. Glad to hear that your initial experiences were good ones.

For medical insurance, try Blue Cross (they are in the phone book). People I knew in CIC suggested them to me. If you have a credit card, you can get "activated" over the phone.

Thank you...I'll get on to them right now!

brummie_babe Apr 11th 2007 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4627201)
Wow, sounds like you had a fantastic time, well done and congratulations.
:wub: Charlie :wub:

Thanks Charlie

Yoong Apr 11th 2007 5:39 pm

Congratulations and welcome to Canada.:thumbsup:
You never know, one day your son may get a summer job
with the immigration at YYZ.
Yoong

steved61 Apr 11th 2007 7:24 pm

Congrats brummie good luck for your new life in canada will hopefully be joining you soon. Where are you going to be living in ontario??

regard

Steve:thumbsup:

mkmurrays Apr 11th 2007 7:30 pm

Great news, and thanks for sharing it.

We land in May, so fingers crossed it's just as smooth. :D

brummie_babe Apr 12th 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by steved61 (Post 4627947)
Congrats brummie good luck for your new life in canada will hopefully be joining you soon. Where are you going to be living in ontario??

regard

Steve:thumbsup:

Hi Steve, initially I'm staying in Brampton with my sister. I am however looking towards moving to either Mississauga or Etobicoke...All will depend on where I find work.
I am fortunate that my sister has been here a few years, thus can advise me on certain things such as the schools etc as she works within education in Toronto.

Good luck with your forthcoming move; I hope the transition is a smooth and pleasant one.

Brummie

Cookie Apr 12th 2007 1:55 pm

Congratulations and welcome to Canada!

Hope your son has a fab day at his new school :thumbsup:

raine66 Apr 12th 2007 2:32 pm

Welcome to Canada. :)

Sounds like you have everything in hand, well done.

NovaBoy Apr 12th 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience at YYZ.

Sounds as though you have everything under control - if a little manic! :blink:

All the best for your new life in Canada.

:thumbsup:

historygirl Apr 12th 2007 7:24 pm

We were on the same flight and went through the landing process that day too! Agree about the procedure - smooth and simple - although they did take our photos again (and my husband was looking pretty unshaven!). We were complimented on our nicely typed lists of goods to follow too, so we were grateful for those too.

We're just here temporarily and will be coming back in June for good, we hope.

Good luck with setting up home!

historygirl

dbd33 Apr 12th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by historygirl (Post 4633306)
We were on the same flight and went through the landing process that day too! Agree about the procedure - smooth and simple - although they did take our photos again (and my husband was looking pretty unshaven!). We were complimented on our nicely typed lists of goods to follow too, so we were grateful for those too.

We're just here temporarily and will be coming back in June for good, we hope.

Good luck with setting up home!

historygirl

"historygirl" Are you an academic, a bit old, why the name?

historygirl Apr 12th 2007 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4633320)
"historygirl" Are you an academic, a bit old, why the name?

A bit of both, I suppose! My other half always says I like sniffing the dust on old documents...

historygirl