Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Famous Canadians

Famous Canadians

Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Famous Canadians

Originally Posted by bart2804
I see your point but this law is bizarre; it's like saying I would have to listen / watch bagpipe music & / or speak Gaelic for a period every day because my country isn't confident enough we can look after our own culture?
It's not really like that though, it's more as if you were required to watch a game of cricket every day with the game being played in Glasgow. The Canadian content rules are met by filming in Canada but making the sets look like America. Or, in the case of music, by acts such as Shania Twain, whose records are a variation of an American genre invented by an Australian.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:44 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bart2804
I now know who Toronto's main airport is named after - which I genuinely did not know; do you know what 'ol Lester won his gong for?
He was prime minister of Canada before Trudeau. Apparently he was noted for his diplomatic prowess. I think his main claim to fame was mediating the Suez Crisis in 1956.

Morely Safer - what a great name but unheard of in the UK (60 minutes?)
It's a weekly television news commentary show that is very well known in North America.

Kate Nelligan - what films was she in?
A movie I remember was "Prince of Tides," in which she portrayed the protagonist's mother. I also remember her taking the lead role in "Thérèse Raquin," a 1980 television drama based on Émile Zola's novel. I enjoyed "How to make an American quilt," but I think it's fair to call it a chick flick, so it would not be to everyone's taste. I also enjoyed "Captive Heart," a TV drama some time in the 1990s. Kate Nelligan portrayed the wife of a Black 1880s millionaire in Toronto. The couple's daughter married a white American and accompanied her new husband to New York. As soon as the newly weds crossed the border, the groom sold his mixed-race bride into slavery in the South. The parents eventually found out what had happened to their daughter, and they travelled to the US to rescue her. In order to get safely through the Southern States, the Black husband posed as the slave of his white wife (the Kate Nelligan character). Edited to add that I didn't "enjoy" the TV drama in the sense of finding it fun. In fact I found the story line upsetting. What I meant by "enjoy" was that it was thought provoking, and the actors portrayed their parts well.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Mar 24th 2006 at 5:50 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

suebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to all

How about ...?

k d lang

Donald Sutherland
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Joni Mitchell.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dbd33
Joni Mitchell.
Now she is really a legend in her time.....I love her.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:35 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

John McCrae
Douglas Coupland
Anne of Green Gables
Naomi Klein
Conrad Black
David Cronenberg
James Cameron - don't know whether to laugh or cry cos I loved the Terminator flics but...
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
John McCrae
Douglas Coupland
Anne of Green Gables
Naomi Klein
Conrad Black
David Cronenberg
James Cameron - don't know whether to laugh or cry cos I loved the Terminator flics but...

Hey ro - hear about the sinking of the ferry?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Conrad Black
Not any more, gave it up in 2001...
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:40 pm

Glenn Gould
Diana Krall - imagine Elvis Costello being dragged shopping around Namaimo
Oscar Peterson
Cheech or Chong - can't remember which
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:41 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Nelly Furtado - I think she is from Vancouver Island?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Hey ro - hear about the sinking of the ferry?
Yeah - did they find 'the couple' or what? - I read conflicting stories.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah - did they find 'the couple' or what? - I read conflicting stories.

No BC ferries is now officiallly declaring them missing or dead.....what a tragedy - I really hope the people bring forward a class action lawsuit against the govt and BC ferries - would serve them right for being so negligent with peoples lives!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Not any more, gave it up in 2001...
I remember somthing about that! Yeah. ... <goes to Wikipedia to jog memory> Check this out!

"It was reported in the National Post on 18 November 2005, that Black had recently applied for permanent residency status in Canada. If convicted of the serious crimes of which he is accused in the United States, Black might be unable to permanently return to his native Canada, since Canada rarely allows entry to non-citizen felons."

lol! I wonder if he reads and posts here on BE!?

Hi Conrad if you're reading! I think you're a nasty piece of work but if you need a ticket into Canada, let's meet for a beer... bring your chequebook!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tidge
Nelly Furtado - I think she is from Vancouver Island?
Yeah, she's from Victoria.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:02 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Conrad if you're reading! I think you're a nasty piece of work but if you need a ticket into Canada, let's meet for a beer... bring your chequebook!
OMG, Ro, until this point in the discussion, I'd managed to forget the odious Barbara Amiel, but your mentioning Conrad reminds me of her.

Since we're scraping the barrel, I'm also reminded of David Frum who, as Bush's speech writer, coined the term "Axis of Evil" to refer to Iraq, Iran and North Korea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.