British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Familiar with Rocky Mountain House, AB?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/familiar-rocky-mountain-house-ab-432991/)

Alison33 Mar 7th 2007 4:43 pm

Familiar with Rocky Mountain House, AB??

My hubby may have the opportunity of working with a company in Rocky Mountain House, AB. We had been looking at a company in BC which are keeping an open door for him to attend an interview and sit some tests in the next few months. Although AB would be preferable for us. Wondered whether any of you guys had ever visited RMH and what you thought of the place. From what I've been told its about an hour's drive from Red Deer. Anyone know anything positive or otherwise? Any info greatly received. Thanks in advance.

Piff Poff Mar 7th 2007 9:15 pm

Re: Familiar with Rocky Mountain House, AB??

Originally Posted by Alison33 (Post 4494012)
My hubby may have the opportunity of working with a company in Rocky Mountain House, AB. We had been looking at a company in BC which are keeping an open door for him to attend an interview and sit some tests in the next few months. Although AB would be preferable for us. Wondered whether any of you guys had ever visited RMH and what you thought of the place. From what I've been told its about an hour's drive from Red Deer. Anyone know anything positive or otherwise? Any info greatly received. Thanks in advance.

I have only driven through RMH on the way to or from the Rockies, It is a sizeable town, not very pretty through the main stretch but it does have all the ammenities of a big UK town and you have the bonus of only being 30 mins or so to the Rockies. Property is cheaper than Red Deer, It's not somewhere I would say 'Oh god you don't want to live there'. Not having researched or looked around I couldn't tell you much more really, hubby's workmate has just moved there from Red Deer, if we had to move there I would be OK with it. Not a very helpful response I know, I haven't heard anything bad about the place and some of my friends love it (one has lived there but jobs brought them to Red Deer and they would go back in a pinch).

R2D2 Mar 7th 2007 10:25 pm

We have only ever passed through it too on the way to the David Thompson Highway. I would agree with Piff, that it doesn't strike you as the best looking town in the world. I would call it functional. Petrol stations and cheap motels appeared to be the order of the day along the main street. However, the residential areas may be nice.?? didn't spot any to comment.??

On the positive side, the countryside around there is nice, and it does have the advantage of being a hop, skip and jump from the Mountains.

oceanMDX Mar 8th 2007 1:47 am

RMH is a small rough looking town IMO. One of Alberta's least attractive from the aesthetic point of view. The place gives one the impression that it must be full of rednecks/cowboys.

Butch Cassidy Mar 8th 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 4495097)
We have only ever passed through it too on the way to the David Thompson Highway. I would agree with Piff, that it doesn't strike you as the best looking town in the world. I would call it functional. Petrol stations and cheap motels appeared to be the order of the day along the main street. However, the residential areas may be nice.?? didn't spot any to comment.??

LOL
If you hadnt provided the geographical reference I would have sworn you were talking about Red Deer on my first 'visit' there. :rofl:

oceanMDX Mar 8th 2007 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4495752)
LOL
If you hadnt provided the geographical reference I would have sworn you were talking about Red Deer on my first 'visit' there. :rofl:

Actually, that's "gasoline alley" of Red Deer county.... not the city of Red Deer which is rather nice looking.

Butch Cassidy Mar 8th 2007 3:04 am

Originally Posted by oceanMDX (Post 4495783)
Actually, that's "gasoline alley" of Red Deer county.... not the city of Red Deer which is rather nice looking.

Where you in the car with me? :confused:
Did you have a tracking device on me? :confused:

Since the answer to both those questions is no, STOP MAKING FREAKING ASSUMPTIONS about my ability to pin point my location. :mad:

oceanMDX Mar 8th 2007 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4495791)
Where you in the car with me? :confused:
Did you have a tracking device on me? :confused:

I was with you as your conscious. :p

I assumed if you approached Red Deer by car, you drove along highway 2. Was that assuming too much? :p

Since the answer to both those questions is no, STOP MAKING FREAKING ASSUMPTIONS about my ability to pin point my location. :mad:
Actually Butch, the place you described has to be Red Deer county's "gasoline alley".... there simply is no other place that even comes close to your description anywhere near Red Deer and highway 2 bisects "gasoline alley". Be honest, you thought you where in the city of Red Deer, when in fact you where only in the county of Red Deer. :p

http://www.reddeercounty.ab.ca/econo...hp?main_id=341

Butch Cassidy Mar 8th 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by oceanMDX (Post 4495816)
I was with you as your conscious. :p

I assumed if you approached Red Deer by car, you drove along highway 2. Was that assuming too much? :p

Actually Butch, the place you described has to be Red Deer county's "gasoline alley".... there simply is no other place that even comes close to your description anywhere near Red Deer. Be honest, you thought you where in the city of Red Deer, when in fact you where only in the county of Red Deer. :p

Actually I described nothing R2D2 did :p

Judy in Calgary Mar 8th 2007 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Thank goodness you don't have your finger on the nuclear button. :p

Oh, hang on a mo, have you noticed who DOES have his finger on the nuclear button? :ohmy:

Butch Cassidy Mar 8th 2007 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 4495827)
Thank goodness you don't have your finger on the nuclear button. :p

Oh, hang on a mo, have you noticed who DOES have his finger on the nuclear button? :ohmy:

Which one?
Don't we still have 4? Or is 5+ now?

Personally I dont think either of the English speaking ones should be allowed out without a Psych Nurse.

Ruby Murray Mar 8th 2007 4:54 am

I actually don't mind the look of Rocky. Sure it's strip is gas stations, fast food and motels, but the backdrop of the mountains behind the Timmies is lovely. We actually thought of RMH a few months ago as the property prices of Red Deer are pathetic.....but if you look on MLS.ca, you'll see that house prices in Rocky aren't that far behind. Local friends of ours (who know RMH very well) have commented that it does get some problems from the natives of the O'Chiese & Sunchild reserves. You've only to look in the local paper and read the recent police incidents.
http://rmh-mountaineer.awna.com/

Alison33 Mar 8th 2007 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 4496060)
I actually don't mind the look of Rocky. Sure it's strip is gas stations, fast food and motels, but the backdrop of the mountains behind the Timmies is lovely. We actually thought of RMH a few months ago as the property prices of Red Deer are pathetic.....but if you look on MLS.ca, you'll see that house prices in Rocky aren't that far behind. Local friends of ours (who know RMH very well) have commented that it does get some problems from the natives of the O'Chiese & Sunchild reserves. You've only to look in the local paper and read the recent police incidents.
http://rmh-mountaineer.awna.com/

Thanks everyone. I have checked out the link above. It don't look too bad - although I come from a very small village in Wiltshire :unsure: . All your comments are noted and I'm gonna check out some properties there.