Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fall River Land

Fall River Land

Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of
Talking Fall River Land

We purchased some land in the popular Fall River area a year ago, and after an assessment for the purposes of a construction mortgage, have discovered that it is now worth $10,000 dollars more! For once we have done something financially sound, for anyone considering this area I thought this would be good to know!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fall River Land

Sorry forgot to mention Fall River is in Nova Scotia!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

We got re-assessed for city taxes a couple of months ago, and got our new notification of taxable value through last week. 65% increase above last years assessment. I'm not looking forward to our new monthly tax bill

A higher assessment is a double edged sword.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Fall River Land

I suppose I never thought about the tax side of things, due to fact that we are not residents of Canada yet. But we are just pleased from a resale point of view if we have to sell if we don't achieve permanent residence!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sim2point4
I suppose I never thought about the tax side of things, due to fact that we are not residents of Canada yet. But we are just pleased from a resale point of view if we have to sell if we don't achieve permanent residence!
Excepting 33% of that will go to the taxman!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Fall River Land

Does that still apply if we don't own a property in UK, only renting at the moment, as in UK you don't get taxed on the equity made on one residence?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Non-residents of Canada who sell property are liable for Capital Gains Tax and the lawyers dealing with the transaction have to comply as a penalty will befall the purchaser if it is not paid.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/ic...72-17r5-e.html
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Re: Fall River Land

Oh well, it was a good dream while it lasted!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, it's still a dream - property prices are rising so fast you would still make a profit. 66% worth, and you would still get your original capital returned.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Fall River Land

Thanks for the info, don't feel quite so silly now!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Thanks for the info, don't feel quite so silly now!
Interesting as i could be looking to buy land there too