Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
They quite like jokes about Newfies. Try this one:

Did you hear about that 2 seater plane that crash landed into a Newfoundland cemetery? So far the local police have recovered 300 bodies.
Originally Posted by skytek
Are people in Newfoundland supposed to be a bit dim or what?
Originally Posted by iaink
See, knowing the cultural references is essential in order to "get it"

Either newfies are the butt of the joke, or the plane crashed into a large funeral cortège. Ones is arguably funny... the other not.

Are "Irish" jokes still acceptable in the UK? Newfie jokes seem to me to be on the same thin ice.
Jokes about "them stupid Newfies" are as unacceptable as jokes about those dumb Micks/Polacks/insert racial/regional stereotype here. And as a funny.

Originally Posted by TheBear
I actually enjoy 22 minutes (some is a bit basic, but I find myself laughing out loud), and I've found some friends who have a wicked sense of humour...and they're Canadian!.
Most of the "22 minutes" team is from Newfoundland - Mujumder, Critch & Jones - which might go some way to explaining why some of the humour is better than the average Canadian fare. I find myself laughing at about a 50% hit rate with 22 minutes. I'd make a case that Altantic/Maritime Canadian humour is more British (or Irish) than elsewhere in Canada.

I have to say, being a reasonably assimilated Can/Brit, that I do find much of Canadian, mainstream TV humour to be OTT farce, slapstick and schtick. Subtle, ironic and sarcastic, it is not. Mainstream CBC sitcoms, are on the whole, risible pap. (Little Mosque on the Prairie, Mr D, etc etc.). Of course, I've been out of the UK for almost 8 years so the same might be true of mainstream BBC sitcoms.

Radio 4 comedy is still good though and required listening in my house.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Alan Partridge is a great example of marmite humour. As was said before, it could be a documentary to some people, and a pretty boring one at that, but I find him hilarious AH HA!!
Agreed.......I found him a hilarious character but similar to David Brent in the Office at times it was so cringeworthy.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you.... soon you will be missing Marmite and cheese.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skytek
I've been here (Southern Ontario) for 4 months now and I love the weather, the vast open spaces and huge amount of water...

BUT I am finding the sense of humour here very basic and comparable to a child's humour. When I make jokes or funny statements that my friends and random people would find hilarious back home, the people here either don't think it's funny or more often don't realise I have made a joke and just give me a puzzled expression.

And what's more tiresome is I find myself having to fake laughter all the time so I don't look like a grumpy numptie in a group while everyone around me is having a seizure from laughing at a fart joke someone just made. Fart and poo jokes are something I laughed at when I was 9. Now I'm 31 I find it awkward when everyone around me still uses such a childish and basic kind of humour. Once my partner's brother made a joke about buying a wheelchair on Kijiji and putting alloy wheels on it. The entire family (aged 24-58) laughed uncontrollably for 4 minutes. After about 2 minutes of faking a laugh my face began to hurt and I felt silly. "ahahah you're hilarious!!!" everyone said to the guy. Meanwhile anytime I make a joke I have to then say "no, it was a joke" and then slowly explain the whole thing to them until they say "ohh I get it" or they give up and start taking over me.

Also, sarcasm? The best way to get a confused look from someone is to use humourous sarcasm.

Let's go see a comedy show. Oh will Ferrel is on! He is SO funny! Do you remember that one time he made that joke about the doctor who couldn't stop farting? Oh man that was SO FREAKIN' AWESOME!

I used to be hilarious in the UK. My friends relied on my humour to brighten up any situation. Here I just confuse people and have to explain my (super simple) jokes and feel like I am ruining the mood if I don't pretend to laugh at every fart or poo joke that is told. And so I find myself dumbing myself down and also telling fart and poop jokes and abandoning any form of witty humour.
Look at the scenery, that's about as good as it gets.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:57 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I tend to use sarcasm and mixing in a bit of stating the bleeding obvious when dealing with certain types of people.
Examples of this
Standing at the bar with an empty glass trying to attract the bar persons attention
Are you waiting for a drink?
No Im waiting for a bus
In a restaurant
Would you like to see a menu
No Id like to see a movie
At a gas station
Do you want it filled with gas?
No fill it with sand it runs better
At a bank/credit union
Is there anything else I can do for you today?
Wanna pay my next visa bill or next mortgage payment.

Some might find this approach rude but because of my accent I usually end up repeating the answer they want to hear.
I used this type of sarcasm at work once and it didn't go over well to say the least. I was yelled at and told not to be a 'smart ass'.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:00 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jandro
I used this type of sarcasm at work once and it didn't go over well to say the least. I was yelled at and told not to be a 'smart ass'.
clearly they recognised a higher IQ..
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Wait till you have been here a few more years and are bored stupid ,you will piss your pants at the poo and fart jokes!!!
As Oink said the scenery is about as good as it gets
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

Yes, lots of great scenery to be seen here (if a bit flat compared to back home) and some of the best sunsets I've ever experienced! But then I am from Ireland and grew up surrounded by breathtaking scenery and lots of rolling green hills and beautiful old Architecture. The lakes here and sunsets are beautiful. People complain about the weather but the snow and ice brings lots of fun with skating and sleding and in the warmer months there is so much sunshine it's surprising!

I think where I am gets a lot of cultural overlap from the states only being a couple of hours drive and their sense of humour has rubbed off here. It's just the first place I've been where I've not been able to have a good side-splitting laugh with the locals even when with relative strangers. Maybe the Canadian sincerity theory is true. It's just taking some getting used to. I expect moving to Japan would be that much harder.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

You have to look at this from an anthropological perspective.

Canadian sincerity is a reality, and likely a result of generations of mass immigration from people of different backgrounds/languages/cultures. As a result, there is no unifying sense of humour that you'd find in the UK. The unifying theme is probably that Canadians are used to accommodating one another and newcomers. Being sarcastic and ironic works against this national urge to be accommodating. It could be considered *gasp* politically incorrect or worse yet - rude! Also consider the accent - a UK accent to a Canadian is an accent of an authority figure. Combine the snark and the accent and it's a recipe for disaster when unexpected.

However, the Canadian sense of humour is varied, I've found (at least amongst those in Vancouver), but at a high level (especially on television) it's relatively neutral. That's just the culture - the social norms.

Saying this, there are Canadians who appreciate the British sense of humour and appreciate a more sophisticated style of humour than what you've been exposed to. They aren't watching the lowest-common-denominator shows like Corner Gas, but are downloading stand-up, and so on. You simply haven't found the right people yet, or they haven't ever been exposed to British humour. In any case, it still comes down to the local culture just being different.

Edit: Many "American" comedians are actually Canadian, and attribute their success in America to being able to act as the underdog, observing America from afar, from the outsider's perspective. That's where the Canadian sense of humour flourishes. It's a different game. It's just a different sense of humour.

Finally, I've been here a long time too. You'll get used to it.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 10th 2012 at 11:34 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:24 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Alan Partridge isn't that funny.

Depends on the context of the humour I find, you've got to seat it in a cultural reference Canadians understand, like making fun of Americans. Clearly they're not going to understand Alan Partridge, because they don't understand British culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

I lived in the US a long time and I've lived here awhile, British people do find humour in things I don't find funny. For example I think Little Britain is total crap.

Britain has a more homogenous culture perhaps than the US or Canada, so it's possible to make fun of things that leave non-British people clueless.

I find that I find certain American TV shows a lot funnier than British people do, basically because I've lived in North America so long I get the cultural references when they start talking about whatever it is.

What was that show on CBC about the American living in Canada? I always thought that was quite funny.
I find this too. Been here in Canada for 20 years and the US for 4 before that. It's ironic acutally, the newly implanted Brits here think they are somehow more sophisticated on the humour front, when truth is, they are as dumfounded as those they jeer at.

Bit arogant, is it not, to suppose that we are funnier and have a monopoly in what splits one sides.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:29 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Look at the scenery, that's about as good as it gets.
become quite the canada basher havent we
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
You have to look at this from an anthropological perspective.

Canadian sincerity is a reality, and likely a result of generations of mass immigration from people of different backgrounds/languages/cultures. As a result, there is no unifying sense of humour that you'd find in the UK. The unifying theme is probably that Canadians are used to accommodating one another and newcomers. Being sarcastic and ironic works against this national urge to be accommodating. It could be considered *gasp* politically incorrect or worse yet - rude! The cultural norm is to be superficially polite. Being snarky, sarcastic and ironic - when unexpected - isn't considered humourous to a Canadian. It's considered rude. Also consider the accent - a UK accent to a Canadian is an accent of an authority figure. Combine the snark and the accent and it's a recipe for disaster when unexpected.

However, the Canadian sense of humour is varied, I've found (at least amongst those in Vancouver), but at a high level (especially on television) it's relatively neutral. That's just the culture - the social norms.

Saying this, there are Canadians who appreciate the British sense of humour and appreciate a more sophisticated style of humour. They aren't watching the lowest-common-denominator shows like Corner Gas, but are downloading UK stand-up, and so on. You simply haven't found the right people yet, or they haven't ever been exposed to British humour.

Edit: Many "American" comedians are actually Canadian, and attribute their success in America to being able to act as the underdog, observing America from afar, from the outsider's perspective. That's where the Canadian sense of humour flourishes. It's a different game. It's just a different sense of humour.

I agree with your theory. North American 'humour' has to translate across cultures. It has to be funny to an Ukrainian as well as a Nigerian, thus it tends to be slapstick; all cultures find people falling over funny.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigals
Wait till you have been here a few more years and are bored stupid ,you will piss your pants at the poo and fart jokes!!!
As Oink said the scenery is about as good as it gets
Yup. I used to be a riot back home but here I'm fake smiling all the time to not be rude.

So now I only hang with english, irish or ozzies or kiwis.

Review of cananda: tough to get a job, jump through hoops with 5 interviews, get a job and evevryone is a backstabbing ladder climber. No sense of community and by god the humour is like having a lobotomy.

I've watched my boss and good mate at work get sacked in the most despicable way ever!!
Roll on Sydney in two months time.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:00 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I work with 2 Scottish, 2 English, 1 Libyan, 4 Quebecers, 1 Korean, + 25 Canadians and a few other nationalities.

The joking around the office is very much between the Scottish and English and somewhat with the Canadians and a little less the Quebecers. The other nations do not get it at all.

I share an office with a Canadian and at first he was confused by the humor but got his head around it. We are now a tag team when the project managers walk in the room...so much so that they often forget what they were going to ask.

What I do like is I am the office joker and have done a few stunts which whilst cautious, went down a storm. To which the management team have not only loved it but also come to me with some ideas of their own.

When the management team were at a big off-site meeting, one of the Scottish managers mentioned someone in the office had volunteered to do his anti-corruption training for a case of beer.....the team laughed their heads off and someone said is must be John. It did take them some time to calm down the head of HR who could not see the joke in it.

What I think I am trying to say is the Canadians I work with actually like the British sense of humour, once they got use to it.

Last edited by JB0591; Apr 11th 2012 at 1:02 am.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the 2nd funniest guy in my office

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.