Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice
Default Re: Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

If Canadian humour is so different, why are British comedies so popular here?

And as for the whole idea of British humour being so much more high brow than North American humour...yeah right! What about Mr. Bean and Benny Hill? I'd say most of the humour in those shows was pretty slapstick.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to like British humour, but I really don't think Canadians are humourless.

Sense of humour also depends heavily on education and social class. I know a lot of educated Canadians who appreciate some good sarcastic humour. As some people mentioned, it is also important to understand cultural nuances and pop culture references to understand a lot of humour, either here or across the pond. Someone "fresh off the boat" might not get a lot of North American humour because they lack sufficient context to understand it.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:43 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot is also accent, delivery and inflection.

I am the same sarcastic person as I was when I got here 3 years ago = people now understand me and dont stand there looking at me going "eh?" Ether they are more atuned to the way I speak, or, god forbid, I am getting a twang!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aberdeen_Loon
If Canadian humour is so different, why are British comedies so popular here?
Spot on.

You're all crap.

I could make people laugh in the UK and I can make them laugh in Canada.

If you have a good sense of humour you can live any where.

You adapt to people and people adapt to you.

Shame on you all for having one dimensional sense of humours.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Spot on.

You're all crap.

I could make people laugh in the UK and I can make them laugh in Canada.

If you have a good sense of humour you can live any where.

You adapt to people and people adapt to you.

Shame on you all for having one dimensional sense of humours.
If you balance sweet potato fries on your head with mayo of course they're going to laugh.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:00 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone else noticed the excessive use of the phrase 'just kidding' immediately after teasing you (taking the piss), but then terrified in case you thought they were serious?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
If you balance sweet potato fries on your head with mayo of course they're going to laugh.
only if they are french
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Trailor park boys seems to sum up the humour round these parts ...
mmm must be going native i think.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Listen...I don't like canadian comedy that much, and some British comedy is amazing, but from what I remember before leaving (last year) the standard UK fair on BBC or ITV was total shite...I used to cringe at how awful it was and the odd fart joke would have really lifted things. I think the Yanks produce some decent stuff, but they have a lot more comedians as the population is larger. If there were 350 million Canadians then there would be a lot better comedy I suspect.

Anyway...for classic UK comedy that I think Canadians, Brits and everyone would enjoy click on this Harry Enfield sketch I stumbled across the other day:

http://youtu.be/guZVRb24Xvk
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Listen...I don't like canadian comedy that much, and some British comedy is amazing, but from what I remember before leaving (last year) the standard UK fair on BBC or ITV was total shite...I used to cringe at how awful it was and the odd fart joke would have really lifted things.I think the Yanks produce some decent stuff, but they have a lot more comedians as the population is larger. If there were 350 million Canadians then there would be a lot better comedy I suspect.

Anyway...for classic UK comedy that I think Canadians, Brits and everyone would enjoy click on this Harry Enfield sketch I stumbled across the other day:

http://youtu.be/guZVRb24Xvk
Oh dear. It's not that, it's that roughly half of them are Republicans.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
I think the Yanks produce some decent stuff, but they have a lot more comedians as the population is larger. If there were 350 million Canadians then there would be a lot better comedy I suspect.
Additionally, many of the best Canadian comedy writers/comedians end up moving to the USA to pursue their career. It's shocking how many famous "American" comedians are Canadian.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:02 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My French-Canadian missus finds Little Britain highly amusing.

No North American TV company would dare to make a programme like that.

Then again, my missus drools over most UK TV programmes. The Brits are rather good at TV.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Brit_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly enjoy the Quebec sense of humour when away on business, mocking the English Canadians all which I completely agree with : )
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My French-Canadian missus finds Little Britain highly amusing.

No North American TV company would dare to make a programme like that.

Then again, my missus drools over most UK TV programmes. The Brits are rather good at TV.
I'm watching White Heat at the moment, and we're glued to the Telly. Glad I signed up for a proxy VPN...watched more TV in the last two weeks than we had in the previous 8months! Being able to watch Have I Got News For You again makes me take back everything good I said about 22minutes. Different league altogether. Got the best of all worlds now. Live in a great country where I'm not in fear of being attacked by some nasty chav and I don't live in a shoe box, but I can still watch great TV!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

mwstuntz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
"For us Germans it is a simple bodily function, but for you English it is the basis of an entire culture...."
Red Baron: 'How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you it is the basis of an entire culture.'

Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit_1
I certainly enjoy the Quebec sense of humour when away on business, mocking the English Canadians all which I completely agree with : )
But then again, there's always this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzz...dog-quebec_fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.