Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Fail to Notify Address Change" Traffic Charge in Ontario

"Fail to Notify Address Change" Traffic Charge in Ontario

Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Fail to Notify Address Change" Traffic Charge in Ontario

Hi all,

I was pulled over by the police on Hwy 60 n Saturday evening for my rear licence plate light being out. In doing so the police officer checked my license insurance etc. and gave me a ticket for not notifying of change of address (I moved 5 months ago and haven't updated my licence). I am guilty and definitely can't contest it.

Anyway, does this charge:

a) affect insurance premiums?
b) affect permanent residence applications (plan to start mine in January)?
c) affect my current visa (IEC Jan '15 to Jan '16, planning my 2nd IEC to be activated Jan '16 to Jan '18)?

Also, I read elsewhere that you can plead guilty, explain the situation (I didn't know of the rule, have updated my licence since finding out) and speak to the prosecutor, pay the fine and politely ask for it not to be put on your record?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Fail to Notify Address Change" Traffic Charge in Ontario

Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute

Haha that's a fantastic gif. Stealing that for future use!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 10:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeenTrainingDogs
Haha that's a fantastic gif. Stealing that for future use!
There are some brilliant ones on that site.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 11:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I was pulled over by the police on Hwy 60 n Saturday evening for my rear licence plate light being out. In doing so the police officer checked my license insurance etc. and gave me a ticket for not notifying of change of address (I moved 5 months ago and haven't updated my licence). I am guilty and definitely can't contest it.

Anyway, does this charge:

a) affect insurance premiums?
b) affect permanent residence applications (plan to start mine in January)?
c) affect my current visa (IEC Jan '15 to Jan '16, planning my 2nd IEC to be activated Jan '16 to Jan '18)?

Also, I read elsewhere that you can plead guilty, explain the situation (I didn't know of the rule, have updated my licence since finding out) and speak to the prosecutor, pay the fine and politely ask for it not to be put on your record?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
My car insurance bill went up after one ticket - is that fair? - The Globe and Mail
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

I checked with my insurance company and they said no change as it's an administrative charge, not a driving one. Fortunate there.

Worried about whether this affects PR and my next IEC though.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I checked with my insurance company and they said no change as it's an administrative charge, not a driving one. Fortunate there.

Worried about whether this affects PR and my next IEC though.
That sort of offence won't impact any Immigration application.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I suspect the cop was doing you a favour. The one time I was fined for "failure to notify" I was going about 25% over the speed limit. I got a nagging for the speed and a token fine for the address thing. Nice! Perhaps a non-functioning rear light is a more serious offence than the address thing and the cop, having stopped you, felt obliged to charge you with something.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suspect the cop was doing you a favour. The one time I was fined for "failure to notify" I was going about 25% over the speed limit. I got a nagging for the speed and a token fine for the address thing. Nice! Perhaps a non-functioning rear light is a more serious offence than the address thing and the cop, having stopped you, felt obliged to charge you with something.
"Felt obliged"!

I suspect that being the only vehicle on the road for 5km in each direction might have been part of it. Police have their quotas to meet after all...