Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fact. Toronto drivers are probably the worst in the western world.

Fact. Toronto drivers are probably the worst in the western world.

Old Mar 18th 2022, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fact. Toronto drivers are probably the worst in the western world.

What’s the most brutal thing you’ve witnessed on the death traps that are the highways and roads of this city?
Old Mar 19th 2022, 10:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fact. Toronto drivers are probably the worst in the western world.

I was in a limo that missed the off ramp for Leslie and reversed down the highway for a quarter mile.
Old Mar 19th 2022, 11:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a taxi when a police cruiser swung across our path blocking progress and another swung in behind. The police leapt out and arrested the driver who then wanted the fare to that point. I told him to piss off, the service offered was to drive us home and we weren't there.
Old Mar 19th 2022, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

I've seen countless fights over road rage incidents usually involving blocking multiple lanes. I accept that cradles drive in whichever lane they choose at whatever speed they choose and that they can't work the lights on the corners of their cars so related incidents that would be shocking elsewhere are, in my view, normal here. When someone rear ends a grey shitbox with no lights I hardly notice.

I witnessed a sex act on the 427/Gardiner ramp while the driver was going at about 70mph in the rain. A RIDE patrol let us go after we'd had to carry the driver to the car as he was too drunk to stand. Ice flew off a van and went through my windshield landing in the back seat. Spears of unflagged rebar also went through my windscreen; I was glad not to be wearing an ear ring as they were close enough to have caught on it.

Driving to work in a convertible, I stopped at a traffic light and a woman jumped over the door into the passenger seat. "Drive me to work?" she said cheerily. I was going that way so I dropped her off. "This is my corner" she said, proudly, "wanna date?".

Oh, wait, probably the most outrageous was the tractor trailer that fell off the Gardiner. That's terrible driving even for Canada.

Old Mar 21st 2022, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

in the old days, the QEW Niagara bound used to go through a tight curve just before the Skyway. It had what seemed a super high tech item at the time - a means of measuring your speed and a sign that would flash at you to slow down if speeding. Of course as young men... But that is not the story.

One day my brother was driving around that bend when he noticed a pair of headlights coming straight at him He changed lanes, the wrong way car shot past him and he never heard anything about it again.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

All driving on the 401........ just an absolute disgrace.

Zero lane discipline, constant undertaking, swerving across all three lanes, various erratic/sudden/agressive driving manoeuvres, no signalling, tailgating.... the list goes on. But all the OPP seem concerned about is if your going 20kph over the speed limit!
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
All driving on the 401........ just an absolute disgrace.

Zero lane discipline, constant undertaking, swerving across all three lanes, various erratic/sudden/agressive driving manoeuvres, no signalling, tailgating.... the list goes on. But all the OPP seem concerned about is if your going 20kph over the speed limit!
Last time I did it, it reminded me of playing a video game. With only one life.

Not Toronto, further west. Over a Christmas season, driving on highway one between Canmore and Lake Louise with a rental 'rent a wreck van'. Heavy snowstorm, so one set of tracks that everyone is driving in. Perhaps a bit supernatural, but suddenly felt something was wrong, and looked around, looked across to my driver side mirror. Just as the overtaking lorry smashed it off the side of the van.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 5:45 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Zero lane discipline, constant undertaking, swerving across all three lanes, various erratic/sudden/agressive driving manoeuvres, no signalling, tailgating.... the list goes on.
Sounds just like Italy.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 5:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sounds just like Italy.
Milan is a dream to drive in compared to the GTA, perhaps the rest of Italy is worse. Most people in Milan, who are driving, seem aware that they are driving. I expect many of them even know what kind of vehicle they are driving.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 6:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have driven in Toronto, so I can only assume y'all haven't driven in Florida.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 7:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have driven in Toronto, so I can only assume y'all haven't driven in Florida.
I have driven a great deal in Florida. Miami to the Keys. New Orleans to Miami. I had a client on the space coast and worked there for months, exploring from there by car. My current car came from Florida. I accept all the cliches about Florida "can register anything", "can drive for many years after no longer being able to see" are true. I've seen a few faces of meth at the wheel in Florida.

Still, not in the same league. The Gardiner Expressway used to have to even less well constructed than it is now. There was the Humber Bump which was like a hump back bridge only on the highway. One day a Toronto driver went quickly enough to launch into the air and land in the oncoming traffic beyond the barrier. It made the local news but not as the Collision of the Day.

This week, in heavy fog, I had a close call with a car passing me. It had no lights on despite the fog. Police car.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

If you put most bad driving in a Venn diagram, it would have two circles: one with excessive (30 MPH+) speeding, the other with zero lane discipline, swerving, no turn signals, etc.
The bit where both the circles cross contains nothing but Florida drivers.
And their behaviour doesn't change even out-of-state (although a high percentage of Fla drivers probably come from the state they're 'visiting', so it kind of explains it).
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Ever visited Halifax?
Old Mar 30th 2022, 12:51 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You've not driven in Alberta where red lights are just a suggestion and dodge ram drivers have the right of way.