Reload this Page >

Extending Temporary Workers Visa

Extending Temporary Workers Visa

Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:56 am
Just Joined

bclynes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending Temporary Workers Visa

Hi,

I am hoping that someone has some knowledge or experience on this one! My families visa expires in August and I want to extend our stay.
In the application form, you must state specifically why you want to extend.... Any weasel words that would make immigration happy? I am employed fulltime so the only thing I could add is that we wish to see more of the country???

Any ideas would be really welcome.... Thanks

Brian

PS I also have heard that you shouldn't mention the possibility of you applying for permanenet residency in the temp workers forms.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending Temporary Workers Visa

Originally Posted by bclynes
Hi,

I am hoping that someone has some knowledge or experience on this one! My families visa expires in August and I want to extend our stay.
In the application form, you must state specifically why you want to extend.... Any weasel words that would make immigration happy? I am employed fulltime so the only thing I could add is that we wish to see more of the country???

Any ideas would be really welcome.... Thanks

Brian

PS I also have heard that you shouldn't mention the possibility of you applying for permanenet residency in the temp workers forms.
Hi, you would be better off asking in the immigration area, but my experience was that I needed the extension because you still have a job to do, simple as that. Ask for 2 years and then apply for PR ASAP. I dont think anyone at CIC will be shocked or predudiced if they know you are looking at PR, it happens all the time. I suspect that if they know you have lived and worked in Canada and like it enough to want to make it permanent, that certainly wont put you at a disadvantage over someone who has only read about it and has no idea whether thay will stick it out through the winter or whatever.

Perhaps suggest to your employer (if you think they value you ) that they could hire an immigration lawyer to ensure everything goes smoothly with the extension. After a couple of extensions they may want to help you with PR too so they dont keep having to go through this every couple of years. Worked for me anyway.

Good Luck
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:01 am
Just Joined

bclynes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extending Temporary Workers Visa

Originally Posted by iaink
Hi, you would be better off asking in the immigration area, but my experience was that I needed the extension because you still have a job to do, simple as that. Ask for 2 years and then apply for PR ASAP. I dont think anyone at CIC will be shocked or predudiced if they know you are looking at PR, it happens all the time. I suspect that if they know you have lived and worked in Canada and like it enough to want to make it permanent, that certainly wont put you at a disadvantage over someone who has only read about it and has no idea whether thay will stick it out through the winter or whatever.

Perhaps suggest to your employer (if you think they value you ) that they could hire an immigration lawyer to ensure everything goes smoothly with the extension. After a couple of extensions they may want to help you with PR too so they dont keep having to go through this every couple of years. Worked for me anyway.

Good Luck
Thanks Iain - You have put my mind at rest

Cheers,

Brian