Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Originally Posted by Adrian Harison
I work hard for the things i have in life , i make no apologies for the fact other peoples are jealous , i thought this was just a British thing
I don't have a problem with BMWs in general, though the boot line on recent large BMWs always puts me in mind of a hamster I once had; it died but kept on shitting, building up an ugly ridge. I think that, for example, the previous 3series convertible and the 2002 were good looking cars. It's just the X5, that's the sort of thing one of Cheryl Tweedies' "partners" might drive.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The manufacturers do. That's how they target their advertising. The BMW X5, for example, might feature in GQ, Hairdressers Monthly, Chelsea Parent while the closely equivalent Range Rover would be advertised in publications aimed at an outdoor audience, Horse and Hound, Country Life and so on.

I think it reasonable to assume that the owner of an X5 is urban, reasonably affluent, aspirational, determined to exhibit success and knows what brand his shirts are. He need not be a drug dealer but likely deals in some ephermal consumer durable, big screen TVs, triple glazing, time shares, the sort of thing no one really needs. Quite why the BMW X5 is always so poorly aimed escapes me, perhaps the steering design was subcontracted to Chrysler.

Oh dear,someone who's watched too much top gear and quentin Wilson related programs.the range rover is THE original Chelsea tractor from the 1980's when ladies arrived from the suburbs to live in the capital and brought their Barbour jackets etc with them.the car of choice?good old rangey!!!

I do take your point of view on the x5 as that's certainly the type of person you see driving them however when asked if their a good car or not the answer must be yes.

The latest rangey is great off road but people who know their onions always buy japanese off roaders as their well up to the job,I live in the country and you don't see many people towing horseboxes etc behind a range rover,they use the landcruiser for that and the rangey for posing/picking up kids/going to functions etc.

Personally I'd love a range rover sport/vogue yet I know I'll never be able to afford one!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vaughant
Oh dear,someone who's watched too much top gear and quentin Wilson related programs.the range rover is THE original Chelsea tractor from the 1980's when ladies arrived from the suburbs to live in the capital and brought their Barbour jackets etc with them.the car of choice?good old rangey!!!

I do take your point of view on the x5 as that's certainly the type of person you see driving them however when asked if their a good car or not the answer must be yes.

The latest rangey is great off road but people who know their onions always buy japanese off roaders as their well up to the job,I live in the country and you don't see many people towing horseboxes etc behind a range rover,they use the landcruiser for that and the rangey for posing/picking up kids/going to functions etc.

Personally I'd love a range rover sport/vogue yet I know I'll never be able to afford one!!!!
I too live in the country and attend a fair number of horse related events. The vehicle of choice here at foxhunts, rodeos, hunter/jumper shows, racetracks and even (horse) meat auctions is, by a massive margin, the Ford F Series. Mine is the only driveway for miles in any direction without an F Series. That likely isn't the only vehicle in the household but it's the thing to which to hook your gooseneck.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

. . . Godwin's law . . .

Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

And your point with these pictures is?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

that's funny,adolf hitler wasn't german!!!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by vaughant
You come across as a very jealous little man,probably desperate to own one but frightened that you may come accross as exactly the type of person you describe in your post.

How can anyone judge someone on the car they drive?very narrow minded attitude really.I've personally owned over 100 cars and I love them,and yes I do own a BMW,along with a mercedes but neither of them are worth what some people pay,and I use this term reservedly,for the total rubbish that portrays itself as a "car" produced in Korea,absolute toss,yet for some reason people in n.a think they're good cars,they are total shit!!!

To the poster who wanted to know about x5's or similar,they are superb cars,stick with a 3.0l petrol out there as the diesels play up and are expensive.they are very car like to drive and handle like a sport saloon,not a boat like 90% of Yankee tanks.I have a merc ml 270cdi and it's a totally different animal to the BMW,a lot smoother and more comfortable but not nearly as sporty,very roomy compared to the x5.

Vw toureg is a nice alternative too,avoid anything Yankee,their about 20years behind compared to anything European.
Hi

Thank God someone on here knows their cars. You're right about the BMW X5very much what we've researched, it's the sports but diesel we would like. It's a little dream that one day we'll own one, not for poseur reasons nor status. We both enjoy what it offers. So I'll guess I'm going to be put into the same category as the others, oh hum!!

However, I do like some of the suggestions coming through. I'm inexperienced about American models. I do particulary like VW and Audi.

It's good to hear plain simple advice than being tortured by criticism.

Other parties:

As regards emigration what's this to do with cars??? I run my own small business and can manage the pressures. Visas be here anytime soon, wasn't so bad! Even say if we didn't get visas I can live with that without crying and happy to make the best what I have.

I have noticed on a lot of threads people become so damn judgemental and it doesn't come across just a 'little ribbing', I don't know you! Quite insulting and rude. They sway from the original question asked and humiliate them as if it's a joke, or twist things to a sexual nature and I get blamed for this!!!!

Anyway, there's some really good info and thank you all for this.

Angela
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Thank God someone on here knows their cars.
Originally Posted by robert_masters
You're right about the BMW X5very much what we've researched, it's the sports but diesel we would like.
Heh!

Diesel, not a sports car.

Station wagon, not a sports car.

If what you want is a estate car and a diesel, I think you're limited to the Jetta.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Heh!

If what you want is a estate car and a diesel, I think you're limited to the Jetta.
Audi Q7 and Mercedes M class also available as diesel. Plus used Grand Cherokee if you can find a decent one.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
.... Mercedes M class also available as diesel.
The price premium, and additional servicing costs mean that unless you cover a lot of miles, it makes no sense to choose it over the gas engine.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian Harison is an unknown quantity at this point

Heh!

they are a few desiel sport cars over here and also sport station wagons ,

Originally Posted by R I C H
The price premium, and additional servicing costs mean that unless you cover a lot of miles, it makes no sense to choose it over the gas engine.
this is true , unless you like the way the diesel drives over the petrol , some people do
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
True that. I can recall the first time I took my diesel Jeep Liberty in for an oil change. It cost me $150 IIRC because it used some fancy oil that was obviously distilled from unicorns blood because it was so bloody expensive.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Adrian Harison
they are a few desiel sport cars over here and also sport station wagons
My brother has diesel BMW station wagon which I believe has twin turbochargers, I can't tell you the model because he paid the maker five thousand pounds to have it without badges and with a black dashboard. I suppose that's the sort of thing you have in mind. I imagine it's fast but suggest that it is as much like a sports car as the Dodge Caravan.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Before deciding on a diesel it will be a good idea to check on the number of local gas stations that sell it. In BC not all do. And, it can be a long way between gas stations.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian Harison is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is one of the best http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_RS4

if this is not a sports car then what is ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.