British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exporting-vehicle-household-goods-any-advice-680516/)

dbd33 Aug 10th 2010 5:54 pm

Re: Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Originally Posted by robert_masters (Post 8767043)
VERY TRYING!!

Buick Enclave.

Atlantic Xpat Aug 10th 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by robert_masters (Post 8767029)
Honda Pilot better choice!

I explained I liked BMW's and was open to suggestions should those who don't agree with my taste, and maybe come up with something better.

I don't need people to be ridicule!

What engine size do they generally start from?

A fact of life in posting here is a certain amount of ridicule. Take it the sitting-with-yer-mates-in-the-pub vein and you'll be fine. The amount of genuinely useful information and experience that can be garned from these fora makes it worthwhile IMHO. Also, if you are going to get upset about a little gentle ribbing on your desire for a BMW X5 then the stresses of emigration might be more than you can cope with.;)

For all the Honda Pilot info you can cope with check out www.honda.ca and google '+Honda +Pilot +review'. :thumbup:

Alan2005 Aug 10th 2010 6:08 pm

I've never seen a BMW X5 without thinking "what a twat". I assumed this was normal for everyone that doesn't own one.

Atlantic Xpat Aug 10th 2010 6:11 pm

I know the economy in St. John's must be booming because they are building a BMW dealership here now. Upto this point the nearest one was Halifax. Consequently I can't recall the last time I saw an X5.

Continuing the 'NA equivalent is the Caddy Escalade theme', I do see those around. And, unsurprisingly, I think 'what a twat.' ;)

Adrian Harison Aug 10th 2010 6:18 pm

I have had a few BMW's over the year good cars and well built

If you have a van at the moment have a look at what Mercedes and VW have to offer , they both make & 7 seat vehicals based on there vans , very HQ

Adrian

Alan2005 Aug 10th 2010 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 8767083)
I know the economy in St. John's must be booming because they are building a BMW dealership here now. Upto this point the nearest one was Halifax. Consequently I can't recall the last time I saw an X5.

Continuing the 'NA equivalent is the Caddy Escalade theme', I do see those around. And, unsurprisingly, I think 'what a twat.' ;)

There are quite of a few of the pointlessly over sized status symbols for idiots in Vancouver.

JonboyE Aug 10th 2010 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8767106)
There are quite of a few of the pointlessly over sized status symbols for idiots in Vancouver.

A friend, who lives in Kits, bought a 325i quite recently. When we asked her why, she innocently said the the BMW dealership was the nearest to her home.

You can't fault that as a reason.

el_richo Aug 10th 2010 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Adrian Harison (Post 8767101)

If you have a van at the moment have a look at what Mercedes and VW have to offer , they both make & 7 seat vehicals based on there vans , very HQ

Adrian

Don't forget the Audi

http://www.7-seater-cars.co.uk/image...seater-car.jpg

dbd33 Aug 10th 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adrian Harison (Post 8767101)

Adrian

The VW Routan minivan is the Chrysler minivan with the roof lowered or the seats raised or something. I'm too tall for it.

Bill_S Aug 10th 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by robert_masters (Post 8767029)
Honda Pilot better choice!

I explained I liked BMW's and was open to suggestions should those who don't agree with my taste, and maybe come up with something better.

I don't need people to be ridicule!

What engine size do they generally start from?

Pilot or MDX wouldn't be bad options for largeish SUVs if you don't mind the exterior styling. MDX is very expensive, though. If you want North American parentage, the traditional choice for a big vehicle is the Chevy Suburban.

vaughant Aug 10th 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8767076)
I've never seen a BMW X5 without thinking "what a twat". I assumed this was normal for everyone that doesn't own one.

You come across as a very jealous little man,probably desperate to own one but frightened that you may come accross as exactly the type of person you describe in your post.

How can anyone judge someone on the car they drive?very narrow minded attitude really.I've personally owned over 100 cars and I love them,and yes I do own a BMW,along with a mercedes but neither of them are worth what some people pay,and I use this term reservedly,for the total rubbish that portrays itself as a "car" produced in Korea,absolute toss,yet for some reason people in n.a think they're good cars,they are total shit!!!

To the poster who wanted to know about x5's or similar,they are superb cars,stick with a 3.0l petrol out there as the diesels play up and are expensive.they are very car like to drive and handle like a sport saloon,not a boat like 90% of Yankee tanks.I have a merc ml 270cdi and it's a totally different animal to the BMW,a lot smoother and more comfortable but not nearly as sporty,very roomy compared to the x5.

Vw toureg is a nice alternative too,avoid anything Yankee,their about 20years behind compared to anything European.

dbd33 Aug 10th 2010 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by vaughant (Post 8767238)
How can anyone judge someone on the car they drive?very narrow minded attitude really.

The manufacturers do. That's how they target their advertising. The BMW X5, for example, might feature in GQ, Hairdressers Monthly, Chelsea Parent while the closely equivalent Range Rover would be advertised in publications aimed at an outdoor audience, Horse and Hound, Country Life and so on.

I think it reasonable to assume that the owner of an X5 is urban, reasonably affluent, aspirational, determined to exhibit success and knows what brand his shirts are. He need not be a drug dealer but likely deals in some ephermal consumer durable, big screen TVs, triple glazing, time shares, the sort of thing no one really needs. Quite why the BMW X5 is always so poorly aimed escapes me, perhaps the steering design was subcontracted to Chrysler.

northerndave Aug 10th 2010 9:17 pm

I think in general BMW drivers all have a bad "rep" because of the way they see themselves on the rd, Its a small willy thing "get out of my way little person Ive made it and drive a BMW",but have you noticed its usually low rung "managers" who have a budget and will just scrape in with a 316.
How many times have people seen poor driving by somebody "usually" driving a 3 series? I can tell you the worst driving I see is usually by BM drivers,for a short period it was Lexus IS drivers but after that fad faded it went back to BM ( I have a 72 miles round trip to work on a "A" rd) So feel I have some experiance on this.
The X5/X3 are just 3 and 5 series on steroids just like the ford focus/c-max and Astra/Zafira.

Oh, and my wife drives a Volvo and I drive an Audi with a Landrover at the w/end:rofl::lol:

Adrian Harison Aug 10th 2010 9:43 pm

It does work the other way as well , when am driving around in the work van thinks are fine . but then when i am driving around in a BMW i get treated like s..t by other road users :unsure:

I work hard for the things i have in life , i make no apologies for the fact other peoples are jealous :p , i thought this was just a British thing

el_richo Aug 10th 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Adrian Harison (Post 8767488)
...when i am driving around in a BMW...i make no apologies for the fact other peoples are jealous...

Funniest post of the day :rofl: