Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I am quite well aware of how well an X5 handles. For its type of vehicle, it handles very well indeed. But it's a big, heavy, tall vehicle. If you need that amount of space and are determined to have the Bavarian flag on your tailgate, get a 5-series touring. It's got more interior space, it's lighter, it's shorter, and it's way more agile on the limit. I certianly know which I'd rather be driving if I had to take violent evasive action.
I just got rid of a Land Rover LR2 on lease, which I loved, but it weighed a horrific amount, was expensive to buy winter tires for, was crappy on gas, and didn't have a particularly big trunk for it's size.
I've been wanting a wagon for ages, and ended up with an Audi A4. Shame the tdi isn't out yet, because that would have been perfect. I've now got the AWD, lower centre of gravity, much better wagon trunk, and I'm in single digits for fuel economy now. I can also razz about the place and not fear about wiping out or going sideways.
I'm a happy bunny
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
I just got rid of a Land Rover LR2 on lease, which I loved, <snip>
Somewhere (assuming it hasn't rusted to bits by now) there is a Freelander SWB with the detachable hardtop that has my business card jammed into the microswitch that detects whether the hard-top has been detached or not. This action was neccessary to ensure that the rear window didn't keep winding itself down at inpportune moments. (like driving along the M5 or leaving it parked, well, anywhere.) This was in 2001.

I'm a happy bunny
That's good to know. A4 wagon is a good choice IMHO, although a passat probably does the same job but is cheaper. If this were UK we could accuse you of being a badge snob as the Skoda Estate is essentially the same thing but with less cachet.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Somewhere (assuming it hasn't rusted to bits by now) there is a Freelander SWB with the detachable hardtop that has my business card jammed into the microswitch that detects whether the hard-top has been detached or not. This action was neccessary to ensure that the rear window didn't keep winding itself down at inpportune moments. (like driving along the M5 or leaving it parked, well, anywhere.) This was in 2001.
Oh yeah, mine would randomly tell me the airbag wasn't working, or that my seatbelt wasn't done up, but luckily that was the worst of it.

That's good to know. A4 wagon is a good choice IMHO, although a passat probably does the same job but is cheaper. If this were UK we could accuse you of being a badge snob as the Skoda Estate is essentially the same thing but with less cachet.
You can accuse me because I am
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

You can accuse me because I am
Just not enough to wanna drive an X5 eh? I knew there was a reason I liked you......
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, mine would randomly tell me the airbag wasn't working, or that my seatbelt wasn't done up, but luckily that was the worst of it.
Surely that's not specifically a feature of Land Rover? My VW has had the air bag light on since new and the Toyota hand break light goes on and off randomly. Dashboard warning lights are just a bit crap really.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely that's not specifically a feature of Land Rover? My VW has had the air bag light on since new and the Toyota hand break light goes on and off randomly. Dashboard warning lights are just a bit crap really.
I think the feature of a Land Rover is that anything electrical may surprise you at any point!
Actually, I recall a very annoying engine warning light on Nissan Altima we had. It used to get stroppy if the fuel filler cap wasn't situated to it's liking.