Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:19 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, and I, at least, was not slagging the vehicle itself, but the people who drive them.
Me too. Though I'm probably just jealous of the ability to borrow many thousands of dollars so that I can look completely ridiculous.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, the 911, sporty in intent, interesting to drive, but a "sports car"? Not by any strictish definition. I suppose that's a "GT" too.
See whoever-it-was's comment way up-thread on the E-type. Fixed-head is a GT, the drophead is a sports car. I suppose the strange Targa thing is hard to classify. Reputedly, they got relatively more civilised to drive over the years. I've only ever driven an early-80s model which terrified me in a through-the-hedge-backwards-any-moment kind of way. Still, it was a 2+2 GT, not a sportscar.

MG got it right (at least in terms of classification) years ago. They clearly differentiated between the BGT (fixed head, not a sportscar) and the B Roadster (a sportscar). Not really much room for debate.

The Bentley pictured above is a GT (the fact that it's called the Continental GT is a bit of a giveaway), and is marketed as such. The convertible version, having four seats, is marketed as a GT convertible, rather than a sportscar. Many of the other marques highlighted up-thread are GTs: again, there's a reason much of the endurance racing and club racing scene is known as GT racing rather than sports car racing.

Really, though, it's so much semantics. A car manaufacturer is percectly at liberty to stick a "sport" badge on the back of anything (even a Pontiac Montana minivan) to indicate slightly crisper performance than the base model. The hot hatches, rally homologation sedans, 2+2 GT coupes, executive sedans, etc that convey some sort of sporty image aren't "proper" sportscars, but that's neither here nor there.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
See whoever-it-was's comment way up-thread on the E-type. Fixed-head is a GT, the drophead is a sports car. I suppose the strange Targa thing is hard to classify. Reputedly, they got relatively more civilised to drive over the years. I've only ever driven an early-80s model which terrified me in a through-the-hedge-backwards-any-moment kind of way.
They're much much more friendly. Especially the turbo model. Was driving one last weekend and no matter how hard you nailed it, it remained in line. So much fun, although not as nimble or quick as the Nissan GTR. Now that thing is like shit off a stick, and actually pretty scary due to lulling you into a false sense of security.

Woooooooooosh
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
I cant stop an accident from happening, and with ange learning to drive again, the next best thing is to at least limit the effects upon them if the worst happens, i have done alot of research into various vehicles and safety rating etc.. and the BMW stuff's them all.
Yes. Yes you can. You can drive defensively, in a car that handles well and is well maintained, and with an awareness of what is going on around you. Almost no accident (with the possible exception of the sort of freak incident that Greenhill was involved in) is truly unavoidable.

Not having the accident in the first place is way better an outcome than limiting the damage once the accident has occurred.

For me, for that kind of analysis, the X5 carries too many compromises. Sure, it handles well compared to other crossovers and SUVs, but all of them handle worse than an equivalent station wagon. They're bigger, heavier, and higher off the ground: Isaac Newton would have had a thing or two to say about that.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 5:05 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vaughant
Focii are an excellent car in all honesty,but their no x5,i've had both so I know.

The x5 is a really good handling vehicle,as stated by the press at launch that it was comparable to the 5 series saloon.

I never knew Canada was so bad for drivers?I've been to America a few times with little or no incident?
Best will in the world won't stop the X5 having much more momentum when handling, its simple Newtonian physics.

Hence when it comes to playing on Ice you’ll be able to steer and control even the simplest small car when compared to handling any SUV. And by handling I mean controlling a car when the normal traction and grip of the tires is no longer present, when you’re in the grey zone between full grip and a skid, and in the case of ice how much control your tire’s still exhibit on the ice during a skid.

As for Canadian drivers, the first clue to the standard of driving will be the cost of insurance, the second the number of small accidents you see on your day to day drive, maybe the third clue is the number of collision shops you’ll see in the industrial parks.
The trick to surviving the Canadian roads on a regular commutable basis IMHO is small manoeuvrable cars with quality tires..
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Yes. Yes you can. You can drive defensively, in a car that handles well and is well maintained, and with an awareness of what is going on around you. Almost no accident (with the possible exception of the sort of freak incident that Greenhill was involved in) is truly unavoidable.

Not having the accident in the first place is way better an outcome than limiting the damage once the accident has occurred.

For me, for that kind of analysis, the X5 carries too many compromises. Sure, it handles well compared to other crossovers and SUVs, but all of them handle worse than an equivalent station wagon. They're bigger, heavier, and higher off the ground: Isaac Newton would have had a thing or two to say about that.

Ridiculous statement,how can anyone prevent an "accident",it's an unavoidable event and I know what I'd rather be in,not some poxy car that ncap deem better,but a nice big 4x4!!have you ever seen a so called side impact bar?I've seen stronger kids toys!!

I'm not certain but I'd guess you've never actually driven an x5 as you'd know they handle on average better than ANY car produced in na and a lot of euroboxes as well,they really are a drivers car,don't let anyone tell you different,the laws of physics are regularly being broken on modern cars!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:03 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

different,the laws of physics are regularly being broken on modern cars!!
Have you invented perpetual motion then? Got a car that runs on anti-gravity? Anti-matter? No? Thought not. So pretty much a ridiculous statement then. I mean BMW are clever engineers but defying the laws of physics? What are you on?

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Aug 14th 2010 at 1:10 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:06 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Ridiculous statement,how can anyone prevent an "accident",it's an unavoidable event
That's a workable definition of accident, although it means of course that the vast majority of collisions are not accidents.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I mean BMW are clever engineers but defying the laws of physics? What are you on?
I think they can. They have designed a vehicle that makes you look twattier when on the inside compared to out. Sort of like the tardis, but for twats rather than time lords.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:23 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think they can. They have designed a vehicle that makes you look twattier when on the inside compared to out. Sort of like the tardis, but for twats rather than time lords.
I believe the technical term is - Retardis
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by el_richo
I believe the technical term is - Retardis
Hehe. That's what I'll be thinking when I see one from now on.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:37 am
Beep

I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. If somebody wants to treat themselves to a particular SUV, then who cares. Just do it and don't worry what others think. I'm not even sure why you're wasting your time defending your decisions, on an internet forum.

That said, and as my loving wife tells me often, with a sympathetic look on her face, "Don't worry about it, size doesn't really matter. It's how you handle the thing that makes all the difference".

Heck, maybe those who own an SUV/Truck do so for solace due to the above. I'm out playing in a 911 this weekend and i know when i'm out in it, i feel like John Holmes, only without the viral infections.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by el_richo
If somebody wants to treat themselves to a particular SUV, then who cares. Just do it and don't worry what others think. I'm not even sure why you're wasting your time defending your decisions, on an internet forum.
Where's the fun in that?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:05 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Where's the fun in that?
Hmmmm, you have a point there
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Have you invented perpetual motion then? Got a car that runs on anti-gravity? Anti-matter? No? Thought not. So pretty much a ridiculous statement then. I mean BMW are clever engineers but defying the laws of physics? What are you on?
Look,what I'm getting at is this,go and drive one and see what I mean,they handle exceptionally well,full stop ( or period if you prefer),so simply stating it has a higher centre of gravity therfore must be worse on the road is simply not true,there are hundreds of other factors.

Sorry if it came out as a typo,I meant bending the laws of physics but it was late in the night!!!!

Really guys and dolls,these are not like old land rover discoverys wallowing about all over the place and granted their near as damn it useless off road.something like a merc ml is a pretty good compromise,handle ok,drive very car like and are actually very competent off road although as rich said your unlikely to risk something of that value over boulders,bogs and the like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.