Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice
Default Re: Exporting vehicle and Household goods - Any Advice!

Originally Posted by R I C H
More fool those that choose an SUV over a car and expect the SUV to stop/slow down in anywhere near the same distance in order to avoid a collision, or have the steering dynamics to be able to swerve in avoidance. indeed.
I could not say it better!!! trouble is were stuck with them until change happens!!!

Rob
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
So the case for the BMW X5 is that it's safer than the competition?
well if you were up to speed you would already know that!! one of the safest motors on the planet. nice to drive too!!!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:43 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
In UK/European countries engines have advanced so much both in diesel and petrol categories that we don't have to have a bloody great fuel tank, which means in an accident we're not waiting for a bomb to go off.
The difference in size of the fuel tank in my SUV and F150 is 10 litres. I wouldn't expect much difference in terms of explosion size once either was ignited. It's a lousy argument to base the choice of a vehicle on.

For about the last five years or so there has been a marked increase in diesel pumps on the forecourt in Canada. The locals are not ignorant to the fact change is coming to us all. Not sure how long it's gonna be!! But more people are now getting wise and adopting the 'More Bang' for ya Buck attitude!!!
I was blissfully unaware of this, thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I could not say it better!!! trouble is were stuck with them until change happens!!!
How are you stuck with them? Just don't buy one unless you really need one (for it's towing capacity, for example).
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:47 pm
Pea Brain

well if you were up to speed you would already know that!! one of the safest motors on the planet. nice to drive too!!!
It's no better than average according to this: http://www.iihs.org/RATINGS/summary.aspx?class=50
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not seeing that

http://www.instantautoinsurancequote...rs-of-2010.php

I'm seeing Volvo XC90, VW Polo, Vauxhall, Hyundai...

Still, I doubt that "safety" is in the top dozen reasons for people buying a BMW X5.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:50 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Here in Canada, that diesel engine wouldn't be considered powerful enough to grace a work truck. Ford's most recent diesel engine for the F-series is the 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 which has 735 ft.-lb of torque and 390 horsepower.
Since you mention engine torque, I've never understood why motoring section journalists think it matters. All that matters is what the max power is and over what rpm range it can be sustained. Max engine torque tells us nothing about that, without further info on the engine speeds corresponding to both max power and max torque.
Just a little hobby horse of mine. Thanks for listening.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

How are you stuck with them? Just don't buy one unless you really need one (for it's towing capacity, for example).
In general. with so many vehicles that size on the road now, they're unavoidable, my biggest concern is safety for me and the family.

I have driven many times in canada and on my travels have seen sights that have seriously changed my perception, an accident invoving a jetta and what is considered a family suv on top of it, i would not like to have been the person in the jetta, maybe if i had not been spooked my choices would be different again. i rented a toyota yaris the first time i was there and wished i had something a little more substantial around us, in blighty this would not phase me at all, on my last visit i rented a dodge journey, what a difference!! which also comes in at a close 2nd contender to the BMW.

Regarding the fuel tanks. like you say 14 gallons is pretty much the standard for american vehicles and a european motor having 12gallon cells, its not purely size more to to do with where on the motor they're hung, and of which materials ther're made from, alot of american motor companies still use metal tanks and have them hung at the side or rear end, most european motors have mid placed plastic cells instead.

I cant stop an accident from happening, and with ange learning to drive again, the next best thing is to at least limit the effects upon them if the worst happens, i have done alot of research into various vehicles and safety rating etc.. and the BMW stuff's them all.

I agree vehicle size at the momnent is an issue, i drive a car derived van, its economical, it serves me well and is fit for purpose, hence the questions about exporting it to canada.

As for the family i would rather have a bigger car.

Rob
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's no better than average according to this: http://www.iihs.org/RATINGS/summary.aspx?class=50
As you see all SUV sized motors, but fair comment
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo

Rich seems a little quiet on that one?that's not a sports car,read the definition above as that MUST be the only explanation of a sports car??

It's clear rich is knowledgeable about these affairs as his answers are very accurate and informative however I believe that we all see things in different ways,rightly or wrongly,and hence how I see a "sports car" is quite possibly different from your vision.

Shocked we drive the same vehicle,although sadly mines only worth about $15000 compared to yours!!! Rich by name,rich by nature???

Nice enjoyable debate that!!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
ahh how I fare in the accident... very North American

I prefer the more European shorter stopping distance approach to safety.. (not being in the accident in the first place)

Hence why I doubt an X5 is safer than a focus when all the aspects are considered....

Focii are an excellent car in all honesty,but their no x5,i've had both so I know.

The x5 is a really good handling vehicle,as stated by the press at launch that it was comparable to the 5 series saloon.

I never knew Canada was so bad for drivers?I've been to America a few times with little or no incident?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

if there are people happy enough to put there family in anything smaller then more fool them!!!!!
That's odd. The much smaller Audi A4 fairs much much better than the X5 in safety. As does the Honda Accord, Kia Sorento, Mercedes C Class, ..........

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_x5_2003/151.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/results/audi/a4/2009/350.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/results/hond.../2009/351.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/results/kia/sorento/366.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/results/merc.../2009/383.aspx

Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting. The thought process of needing a larger vehicle to be safer from those other large vehicles is self perpetuating in that once a larger model comes out, you need that otherwise you're in the smaller vehicle once again.

"Safer" for the occupants, much more dangerous to those around you. Scary.

Still, if somebody wants to buy an X5 cos they like them, why not. Just make sure you drive carefully near my 911
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree fair comment but non of them were tested for an impact with a 2 tonne motor hitting them. They're all tested against a static concrete block, the dynamics of two vehicles travelling opposite directions and having an impact is a lot different to controlled situations. I favour the higher riding position with the vehicle having a dedicated safety cell.

Yes there will be bigger vehicles lol but i am happy to stay within this size, i am looking for a happy medium, and yes out of preference so far, we have prefered the comfort of the BMW, it is a nice to have. seems because of dirty scroat drug dealers ect..... what is considered a step up! here in blighty condems a person from even looking at one. will look out for the 911 lol
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Still, if somebody wants to buy an X5 cos they like them, why not. Just make sure you drive carefully near my 911
Ah, the 911, sporty in intent, interesting to drive, but a "sports car"? Not by any strictish definition. I suppose that's a "GT" too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.