Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exporting Dog Through Heathrow, HELP!

Exporting Dog Through Heathrow, HELP!

Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

idontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exporting Dog Through Heathrow, HELP!

Originally Posted by CanadainHereford
Did you use a pet transport agent then? I think it must be a Heathrow problem I've run into, rather than a UK/Canada one, seeing as others have had recent successful experience transporting their dogs for less than a grand.
Airports/airlines all have different rules so strongly suggest going to their websites and searching transport from different airports if you don't want to use a transport agent. We have a restriction that our dog cannot fly until Sept 10th from a hot country and have modified our plans accordingly. That's the type of thing you have to do as a pet owner. See how you get on with a different operator - or read their website. Air Canada's website contained more details about flying pets than any other airline I tried.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, I never stated AC cannot accommodate my my dog due to amount of dogs on that specific flight, because I never got to that point with the woman I spoke with on the phone. I never even told her a flight number. The woman I spoke with told me point blank she would have to go as live cargo due to busy season requirements, and that she must be shipped through a pet transport agency.

But, having read through threads on this forum, it seems that others have had successful transport experiences recently from the UK to Canada, without having the added cost of a transport agency.

If anybody else has shipped their dog recently and successfully independently, please let me know. I really don't mind sending her on another day, if possible, nothing is really set in stone other than I want to go home this fall.
In that case, if you are sure you are allowed to travel with your pet at that time of year, I would call again and tell them you wish to register your pet for the flight - give the reservation and flight number - she should be able to tell you how many pets they have on that flight because you have to pre-book it. Seems like she is giving you a generic answer!

On their website they state that no pets are allowed as checked baggage between June 20th and September 10th, so that may be the reason behind the response you got from AC.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick - lets hope you can get it sorted out.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 8th 2013 at 9:26 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:20 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

As it's your mother who is going to be taking the dog and will have the responsibility/hastle if anything goes wrong, why don't you just use a pet transport agency? I used one this time last year, and I didn't pay a huge amount and they picked the animals (3 cats and a dog) up the day before I travelled, from my home hung onto them until I left and then they were delivered to my new home when I arrived. They were happy and so was I. Additionally I knew there were going to be problems...as you say, there always are because i travelled in August and they worry about the heat.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

CanadainHereford is an unknown quantity at this point

To follow up on this thread (mostly for people who read it if/when it's archived), Razz is officially travelling solo with Air Transat next Wednesday. Air Transat has been more than accommodating with helping a very stressed out me at the time get on with the details, all she needed was an appropriate cage and a rabies shot to get on the plane. I've got her a pet passport in case I decide to take her to the states on riding trips with me in the upcoming years.

Air Canada's website was extremely misleading, to the point of a lie really. Saying they take dogs as cargo, but then getting to the point of booking a place on a plane and saying it must be done through a pet transport agency (literally 10x the price). A company not exactly known for their customer service really hitting this one out of the park.

If I'd tried Air Transat to begin with, I wouldn't have had a problem at all. I have the number and email of the man in charge of cargo reservations for Air Transat, if anybody needs a direct contact line, please contact me privately.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

To follow up on this thread (mostly for people who read it if/when it's archived), Razz is officially travelling solo with Air Transat next Wednesday. Air Transat has been more than accommodating with helping a very stressed out me at the time get on with the details, all she needed was an appropriate cage and a rabies shot to get on the plane. I've got her a pet passport in case I decide to take her to the states on riding trips with me in the upcoming years.

Air Canada's website was extremely misleading, to the point of a lie really. Saying they take dogs as cargo, but then getting to the point of booking a place on a plane and saying it must be done through a pet transport agency (literally 10x the price). A company not exactly known for their customer service really hitting this one out of the park.

If I'd tried Air Transat to begin with, I wouldn't have had a problem at all. I have the number and email of the man in charge of cargo reservations for Air Transat, if anybody needs a direct contact line, please contact me privately.

Air Transat have been recommended in a number of threads, including this one.

Glad you got it sorted out to your satisfaction and hope that your dog has a safe journey.

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Not mentioned elsewhere was what I meant.

In the "Travelling with dogs" thread, Tootlepootle wrote on July 30th 2013 "We brought in a French bulldog in early June with Air Canada. It cost £175 plus an defra export cert" for example.
I did indeed. We did all the paperwork ourselves. Air Canada had no problem taking our dog as excess baggage, but it was before the summer embargo. They won't ship pets between 20th June and 10th September as excess. I called Defra who were very helpful, sent the for off to them via email, they send necessary form direct to your nominated vet who filled in the form within three days of travel. I bought the sky crate off the Internet and didn't even change the plastic wing nuts!

Hope that helps
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Nikkinoo75 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have booked my Labrador onto a flight with us as excess baggage on 15th September from Gatwick to Calgary with Airtransat too. My vet asked me to get confirmation from Canadian embassy that all that was needed was proof of rabies shot and that a Defra certificate wasn't needed. I travel in 10 days and he thinks there's not enough time for this.

Can anybody confirm this? I am getting a pet passport to be on the safe side but am worried about Defra certificate. I've left a message with embassy but heard nothing!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nikkinoo75
I have booked my Labrador onto a flight with us as excess baggage on 15th September from Gatwick to Calgary with Airtransat too. My vet asked me to get confirmation from Canadian embassy that all that was needed was proof of rabies shot and that a Defra certificate wasn't needed. I travel in 10 days and he thinks there's not enough time for this.

Can anybody confirm this? I am getting a pet passport to be on the safe side but am worried about Defra certificate. I've left a message with embassy but heard nothing!
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1333667082603

Dogs may enter Canada if they are accompanied by rabies certification*

Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

(full details for Canada are on the webpage)

*Vaccinate against rabies and get proof from your vet showing batch number, details of animal, date administered, etc.

You should get a 'fit to fly' certificate from your vet as well.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikkinoo75

We flew our dogs with us on Airtransat from Manchester to Calgary a month ago. We only had Pet Passports for them with everything stamped inside the passports - rabies, fit to fly, worming (we have asked the vet to do the worming just in case on the same day as fit to fly).
We did not have Defra certificates and we were not asked about them.
At Calgary they have checked the rabies stamp only.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Nikkinoo75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies, that's reassuring, although I posted a similar question on another thread and was told Defra Cert was needed and that theirs had been checked, but they flew with Air Canada - I'm hoping that's the reason why anyway!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with klm, very helpful, all you need is approved kennel, fit to fly from vet, microchip, vaccinations up to date and away you go fir $150! You dont need a defra export licence to fly into canada x