Reload this Page >

Experience on living in Alberta, Canada

Wikiposts

Experience on living in Alberta, Canada

Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Bluefin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience on living in Alberta, Canada

Thank you everyone. Truly helpful comments.

We've been to and from Canada close 7 times since 1995 as a family and loved it every occasion. But as you may know being on holiday and living are two separate things.

We did notice the traffic in AB or say the lack of it. Getting from place to another was extremely easy compared to living in London. As for chocolate, I did notice there wasn’t any Cadburys and the choc there don’t taste the same. As for BBQ’s bring it on!!

I’m under no illusion that it’ll be tough for the first year or so, adjusting to the new culture and maybe wishing for the things I had at home. I’m finding, here in London, is getting ridiculous, and getting to the point were soon I think there will be no middle class, just rich or poor. Has anyone thought “bugger I think I done the wrong thing and wish I was back in London”.

I suppose when I mean “The grass being greener on the other side” is the quality of life better there compared to London/UK.

Last edited by Bluefin; Dec 21st 2007 at 4:19 am.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:19 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgary2006
I saw the dark ones at Market Mall Shoppers Drug Mart a couple of weeks ago....
Dark ones have also been spotted (and purchsed) from Canadian Superstore at Country Hills!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:29 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluefin
Thank you everyone. Truly helpful comments.

We've been to and from Canada close 7 times since 1995 as a family and loved it every occasion. But as you may know being on holiday and living are two separate things.

We did notice the traffic in AB or say the lack of it. Getting from place to another was extremely easy compared to living in London. As for chocolate, I did notice there wasn’t any Cadburys and the choc there don’t taste the same. As for BBQ’s bring it on!!

I’m under no illusion that it’ll be tough for the first year or so, adjusting to the new culture and maybe wishing for the things I had at home. I’m finding, here in London, is getting ridiculous, and getting to the point were soon I think there will be no middle class, just rich or poor. Has anyone thought “bugger I think I done the wrong thing and wish I was back in London”.

I suppose when I mean “The grass being greener on the other side” is the quality of life better there compared to London/UK.
We are pretty similar to you - have wanted to move to Canada since 1995 and have been coming on holiday since then most years with a view to checking it out for the future. We've been to lots of cities in Canada and always felt more drawn to the west and finally narrowed it down to Calgary. So you probably have a fairly good idea if you've been here quite a bit over the years - some people emigrate here without even visiting first and make a go of it so you should be fine!

We lived in the London suburbs and the main comparisons we have found are:
- yes there is still traffic and they sure drive funny over here (you have to drive quite defensively) but as long as you choose where you live in relation to where you work carefully, the commute shouldn't be too bad.
- yes, the C-Train is busy at rush hour, but if you can cope with the tube in London, then you can cope with anything!
- I personally find work a little more laid back than in the UK but there are only 200 employees where I am. People seems to have more time to stop and say hi and how are you.
- A lot of people say that finding a job (ideally paying the equivalent to what you got in the UK or more) helps a great deal with finances and settling in.

We haven't found it a culture shock at all so far and seem to have fitted in pretty well at work and such, and if you have a positive outlook then hopefully it will all work out well.

Best of luck!
Flossie
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:31 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

In particular would like to know more about Airdrie and Okotoks - a comparison would be great.

I have taken so many clients on the Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane tour and everyone loves Cochrane but not the house prices, love Okotoks and slightly better house prices. Airdrie..... for some reason a lot of british expats do not like Airdrie. Houses are cheaper, schools as good and all shops and medical are there but for some reason is not the expat magnets like Cochrane and Okotoks.

I don't want to start any new discussions but it is Characterless than the other towns. and it has highway 2 straight down the middle.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Dark ones have also been spotted (and purchsed) from Canadian Superstore at Country Hills!
Didn't have any last week.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:15 pm
Happy Bunnies

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Didn't have any last week.
Er...I may have bought quite a few!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Although we do not live in Calgary or Edmonton thought I would give you my two penneth too.

We did have the option of going to the larger cities above but when we sat down and looked at the difference in Salaries, property prices and quality of life we opted for the small town and settled in Southern Alberta in Lethbridge - know it is not quite the area that the OP is looking at but hopefully will give someone something to think about.

Lethbridge is a town of around 82,000 population and it takes about 1/4 hour to go from one side of it to the other. We have fab schools here and also the only University south of Calgary in the Province.

Although house prices have risen as they have in the larger cities the increase doesnt price you out of the property market and therefore you still get a good sized house at an affordable price in a nice area.

The longest commute in the morning would be the 1/4 hour mentioned above and also a traffic jam contains a line up of about 6 cars - so different than in the UK

We have a great range of shops and stores - although if you do want to go mall walking Calgary is only a couple of hours drive away so that the ladies can get their retail therapy fix

What I am trying to say to the OP is that you don't have to live in one of the major cities which everyone has heard of to have a great life - there is life out of the city limits of Calgary or Edmonton - you just have to go and explore and research those areas properly.

As for the move it has been the best thing that we have ever done as a family and we all love it.

Gaynor
x
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:43 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim

We bought milk, dark, white and mint chocolate Terry's oranges from Super Drug Mart in Crowfoot .... but I don't know whether they still have any .... I was intending going to look tomorrow, as I need to replace all our Christmas ones too!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We live smack bang in the middle of Calgary and Edmonton and love living in Alberta. We have lived here since June 2005 and haven't looked back and no longer even remember what we miss food wise - so we must be adapting. (I do still get Mum to send me OXO's though).

Daughter is getting on really well at school and the schools do seem to be good, spending a decent amount of time on a subject so the kids understand it more, if she is confused there is always a teacher willing to help and spend extra time with her. Teachers are approachable for any query you may have - even if it's something as simple as 'What question do I need to answer for my homework' - one quick e-mail and it's sorted.

There seems to be more for the older kids to do - not sure about the younger age group as I don't have any of those. There are loads of camps in the summer and after school activities too.

We find the cost of living aout the same as in the UK - food maybe more expensive but taxes and ammenities slightly cheaper.

At this moment in time we are not even interested in a trip back to the UK for a holiday - still want to spend out holidays checking out our new home!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:28 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

we live just NW of Edmonton in St. Albert, which is a small town. we moved from the outskirts of Manchester, so really far more important than London.
we find what others have mostly already posted, groceries dearer, fuel cheaper, some bills the same, some cheaper, you are not talking vast reductions or hikes here.
the most notable difference i have found is on leisure activities. apart from boozing these are much cheaper. an hours 10 pin bowling cost $15, this would have been 15 pounds, ticket to cinema, around $5 instead of 5 pound, you get the idea.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
... ticket to cinema, around $5 instead of 5 pound, you get the idea.
Not in Calgary, it isn't! eg $12.50 at Crowfoot cinema!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:54 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Not in Calgary, it isn't! eg $12.50 at Crowfoot cinema!
nightmare, i assume that is for one. $6.95 to be exact here, so stretched it a bit, but not that much. having said that i have noticed a big increase at the malls. the above is odeon cineplex though, 10 screens.