Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Experience of Job Hunting in Canada

Experience of Job Hunting in Canada

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:39 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Experience of Job Hunting in Canada

As reported earlier, after 2 months of searching far and wide at a strange and traditionally difficult time of year, I have finally found good honest work details posted previously. Whilst that news has come like some wonderful manna from heaven, the trials and tribulations have been interesting. A few ‘interesting’ experiences are revealed here and the advice is offered as my own personal experience and follows very similar lines to many posters own experiences, which after having absorbed as much as possible, that advice has now gone an awfully long way towards preparing me for my own challenge. My own 2c follows:

The Deceivers.
Firstly let me document the time wasters and idiots I have met over the past few weeks. Firstly there was the job which was advertised as a job but was a self employed position, temporary until April 06. I passed the psychometric and intelligence tests and could have done the job easily, but the structure of having to pay costs up front with dubious return was a no-go for me. The company, not surprisingly, is still advertising the role now.

Secondly, there was the fool who I was ‘interviewed’ by for 20 minutes who just ranted on endlessly about his “professionalism”, whilst being knee deep in trash in the meeting room (I jest not) and with boxes of dusty junk all around the building. Dirty carpets in the reception and this guy is preaching professionalism to me ? And the ‘job’ was a 6 months temp maternity cover. The guy was an absolute ass, end of story. But, it was all good interviewing experience.

Then there was the guy who interviewed me and discussed a distribution management position with good salary, import-export business, great career development etc. He answered my questions totally deceitfully (I was deluded into thinking this was a good break, as much as I asked the direct questions he well and truly fooled me) as it turned out he ran a sloppy MLM company where all the staff were self employed. It was, frankly, a complete joke. Another lying bare faced idiot. Yet another experience all the same, as each of these idiots taught me something. Have fun with them, they can’t help it really. Pity the poor souls who have to work for these bumbling, inept idiots and consider it a ‘lucky escape’.

Your “Offer”.
I must emphasize the importance of presenting your resume and covering letter to Canadian expectations (spelling, presentation, correct letter-sized paper), and getting printed references. Also, don’t start looking until you have as much in place as possible, good copies of resume, ability to type up a good covering letter, a phone number, etc. Make yourself look slick, professional and well organized. Use of a local immigration resettlement service will be helpful as their advice and insight is very valuable.

The Process.
Others will also tell you that you must crank up the ‘activity’ level – be more prepared to personally deliver, email or mail resumes, ring up relevant companies to ask who is the recruiter or relevant manager in your area of expertise. Ring up to chase people, “politely hassle” them. “Sell’ yourself much more directly, and be confident of yourself in terms of why you came to Canada, what you are aiming for, how long you see yourself in a position before advancing. Job hunting in Canada places far more onus on the candidate than on the recruiter. Make it easy for them !

Some Differences.
Although at this stage I am really looking forward to finding out about the culture and attitude in my new workplace, the interview process was much different. I felt it was far more informal and open, less judgmental than I have ever experienced before. Be prepared to swallow the whole ‘two week vacation’ thing, the longer working hours (in the private sector) and other subtle differences. Many companies like to start people on lower salaries to see how they progress, with 6-12 months reviews in place once you show your true colours. It’s not all about pure negotiation, as many employers have the odds stacked much more in their favour when it comes to Canadian employment law. Especially when in reality you have much more to prove than the average Canadian. Don’t show surprise at any of these differences as that will indicate that you may not “fit in”, or that you maybe don’t understand the Canadian job market. After all, if you have done your research, you’ll know about these things. That ‘fitting in with our culture’ is absolutely vital, as it seems to be very influential in the appointment process and probably equates out at being over and above your qualifications and experience. For example, in my second interview (more of a chat really) I met with two other people specifically so they could check me out for ‘culture fit’. Their thumbs down meant no-go. Remain confident and true to yourself and all should be well.

If you have already built up local knowledge and an understanding of current affairs you have more in common and are able to talk informally, which helps with the ease at which you may be perceived – not just some new to town goon who knows SFA and has nothing to say. After all, as a newly landed immigrant, you should revel in the fact that your life is now in Canada, you have everything you wanted around you and this translates as confidence and positivity. Even if all is not well under the surface and you really need that job, you have to carry it through to a confident winning conclusion.

Knockbacks.
These are always a tough one to handle, especially as most skilled workers have accumulated plenty of experience and could easily handle the jobs on offer. Most of us at that stage are looking for a break, a chance for someone to listen to what we can do and offer, and a fair crack of the recruitment whip. So a knock back for a lower end job is a real kick in the teeth. Accept it. Maybe it’s fair to say the majority of employers have the odds stacked against you. Accept that, you can’t change it. You need to find that bit of luck to get someone on the end of the phone or with 20 minutes spare face to face who’ll talk to you and judge you equally to others. Much of it is luck, end of story, with hard work and clear confident presentation thrown in.

Confidence Barometer.
Unless you have a job lined up, you arrive under a lot of stress and worry, setting up home, spending money like a lunatic and worrying about everything working out. There’s a phenomenal amount of pressure on most skilled workers shoulders when it comes to job hunting. Ease that pressure off your shoulders and pick up the natural confidence and knowledge you have. Employers love confidence, attitude and willingness to prove yourself. My own confidence was up and down over the past couple of months, wondering whether there was ANYTHING out there where I would be given a chance to show what I could do under an open fairly judged interview. So, even in this dark corner of the land, where it seems everything is who you know, not what you know, there was a chink of light in the darkness. Despite the knock backs and the pressure (which is part of life and job hunting experiences) try to remember your ability, knowledge and skills and keep that positive focus going.

Flexibility.
Be prepared to at least consider the possibility of working at an entry level job if you have to, at least to get income and some working experience, even if it is for a few weeks. Trawl every angle for an opening or company which may have some resemblance to suit your area of expertise. Be prepared to use local immigration resettlement services, or your local HRSDC. Invest time and effort in free workshops or seminars. It’s amazing how much you pick up about the local economy, who’s doing what, etc. And also it’s surprising who knows who in any town city or community. Also volunteering will put you in touch with people, it’s a cliché that Canadians do seem to volunteer more, but that is part of the Canadian experience. Use the opportunities that are presented or dig out a few for yourself. I have personally met some great people by giving up my spare time and just making an effort which I will be perfectly honest about, I’d never have bothered with in the UK. Maybe it’s the ‘newness’ of it all but I value the sense of adventure and new experiences we have been given here and we are embracing life here as much as we can. MOH has joined two work related voluntary groups and will give up her own time and use of her gray matter as well as subscription of $500 every 2 years, which also serves as an investment in career development through regional career networking.

Appreciation.
My heart felt appreciation goes to the dedicated people on here that spend so much time and effort sharing with others – you all know who you are – and to a certain person who sent me the link to the source of my own opening. Make sure you show your own appreciation and pass on the good vibes and advice.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jan 23rd 2006 at 4:41 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:24 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of Job Hunting in Canada

Originally Posted by Rich_007
As reported earlier, after 2 months of searching far and wide at a strange and traditionally difficult time of year, I have finally found good honest work details posted previously. Whilst that news has come like some wonderful manna from heaven, the trials and tribulations have been interesting. A few ‘interesting’ experiences are revealed here and the advice is offered as my own personal experience and follows very similar lines to many posters own experiences, which after having absorbed as much as possible, that advice has now gone an awfully long way towards preparing me for my own challenge. My own 2c follows:

The Deceivers.
Firstly let me document the time wasters and idiots I have met over the past few weeks. Firstly there was the job which was advertised as a job but was a self employed position, temporary until April 06. I passed the psychometric and intelligence tests and could have done the job easily, but the structure of having to pay costs up front with dubious return was a no-go for me. The company, not surprisingly, is still advertising the role now.

Secondly, there was the fool who I was ‘interviewed’ by for 20 minutes who just ranted on endlessly about his “professionalism”, whilst being knee deep in trash in the meeting room (I jest not) and with boxes of dusty junk all around the building. Dirty carpets in the reception and this guy is preaching professionalism to me ? And the ‘job’ was a 6 months temp maternity cover. The guy was an absolute ass, end of story. But, it was all good interviewing experience.

Then there was the guy who interviewed me and discussed a distribution management position with good salary, import-export business, great career development etc. He answered my questions totally deceitfully (I was deluded into thinking this was a good break, as much as I asked the direct questions he well and truly fooled me) as it turned out he ran a sloppy MLM company where all the staff were self employed. It was, frankly, a complete joke. Another lying bare faced idiot. Yet another experience all the same, as each of these idiots taught me something. Have fun with them, they can’t help it really. Pity the poor souls who have to work for these bumbling, inept idiots and consider it a ‘lucky escape’.

Your “Offer”.
I must emphasize the importance of presenting your resume and covering letter to Canadian expectations (spelling, presentation, correct letter-sized paper), and getting printed references. Also, don’t start looking until you have as much in place as possible, good copies of resume, ability to type up a good covering letter, a phone number, etc. Make yourself look slick, professional and well organized. Use of a local immigration resettlement service will be helpful as their advice and insight is very valuable.

The Process.
Others will also tell you that you must crank up the ‘activity’ level – be more prepared to personally deliver, email or mail resumes, ring up relevant companies to ask who is the recruiter or relevant manager in your area of expertise. Ring up to chase people, “politely hassle” them. “Sell’ yourself much more directly, and be confident of yourself in terms of why you came to Canada, what you are aiming for, how long you see yourself in a position before advancing. Job hunting in Canada places far more onus on the candidate than on the recruiter. Make it easy for them !

Some Differences.
Although at this stage I am really looking forward to finding out about the culture and attitude in my new workplace, the interview process was much different. I felt it was far more informal and open, less judgmental than I have ever experienced before. Be prepared to swallow the whole ‘two week vacation’ thing, the longer working hours (in the private sector) and other subtle differences. Many companies like to start people on lower salaries to see how they progress, with 6-12 months reviews in place once you show your true colours. It’s not all about pure negotiation, as many employers have the odds stacked much more in their favour when it comes to Canadian employment law. Especially when in reality you have much more to prove than the average Canadian. Don’t show surprise at any of these differences as that will indicate that you may not “fit in”, or that you maybe don’t understand the Canadian job market. After all, if you have done your research, you’ll know about these things. That ‘fitting in with our culture’ is absolutely vital, as it seems to be very influential in the appointment process and probably equates out at being over and above your qualifications and experience. For example, in my second interview (more of a chat really) I met with two other people specifically so they could check me out for ‘culture fit’. Their thumbs down meant no-go. Remain confident and true to yourself and all should be well.

If you have already built up local knowledge and an understanding of current affairs you have more in common and are able to talk informally, which helps with the ease at which you may be perceived – not just some new to town goon who knows SFA and has nothing to say. After all, as a newly landed immigrant, you should revel in the fact that your life is now in Canada, you have everything you wanted around you and this translates as confidence and positivity. Even if all is not well under the surface and you really need that job, you have to carry it through to a confident winning conclusion.

Knockbacks.
These are always a tough one to handle, especially as most skilled workers have accumulated plenty of experience and could easily handle the jobs on offer. Most of us at that stage are looking for a break, a chance for someone to listen to what we can do and offer, and a fair crack of the recruitment whip. So a knock back for a lower end job is a real kick in the teeth. Accept it. Maybe it’s fair to say the majority of employers have the odds stacked against you. Accept that, you can’t change it. You need to find that bit of luck to get someone on the end of the phone or with 20 minutes spare face to face who’ll talk to you and judge you equally to others. Much of it is luck, end of story, with hard work and clear confident presentation thrown in.

Confidence Barometer.
Unless you have a job lined up, you arrive under a lot of stress and worry, setting up home, spending money like a lunatic and worrying about everything working out. There’s a phenomenal amount of pressure on most skilled workers shoulders when it comes to job hunting. Ease that pressure off your shoulders and pick up the natural confidence and knowledge you have. Employers love confidence, attitude and willingness to prove yourself. My own confidence was up and down over the past couple of months, wondering whether there was ANYTHING out there where I would be given a chance to show what I could do under an open fairly judged interview. So, even in this dark corner of the land, where it seems everything is who you know, not what you know, there was a chink of light in the darkness. Despite the knock backs and the pressure (which is part of life and job hunting experiences) try to remember your ability, knowledge and skills and keep that positive focus going.

Flexibility.
Be prepared to at least consider the possibility of working at an entry level job if you have to, at least to get income and some working experience, even if it is for a few weeks. Trawl every angle for an opening or company which may have some resemblance to suit your area of expertise. Be prepared to use local immigration resettlement services, or your local HRSDC. Invest time and effort in free workshops or seminars. It’s amazing how much you pick up about the local economy, who’s doing what, etc. And also it’s surprising who knows who in any town city or community. Also volunteering will put you in touch with people, it’s a cliché that Canadians do seem to volunteer more, but that is part of the Canadian experience. Use the opportunities that are presented or dig out a few for yourself. I have personally met some great people by giving up my spare time and just making an effort which I will be perfectly honest about, I’d never have bothered with in the UK. Maybe it’s the ‘newness’ of it all but I value the sense of adventure and new experiences we have been given here and we are embracing life here as much as we can. MOH has joined two work related voluntary groups and will give up her own time and use of her gray matter as well as subscription of $500 every 2 years, which also serves as an investment in career development through regional career networking.

Appreciation.
My heart felt appreciation goes to the dedicated people on here that spend so much time and effort sharing with others – you all know who you are – and to a certain person who sent me the link to the source of my own opening. Make sure you show your own appreciation and pass on the good vibes and advice.

Rich.
Nice post Rich, as usual.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

lisete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for charing with us all your job hunting experience. It was most rewarding. We are surely going to follow on your examples and advices.
Best of luck!
Lisete
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My own 2c follows:

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS POST A STICKY!!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:12 pm
Loving my life..

DanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant futureDanielH has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Experience of Job Hunting in Canada

Wow did you land a journalist post as well..... love reading your posts on here...thank you.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

samfan101 is an unknown quantity at this point

As reported earlier, after 2 months of searching far and

Your “Offer”.

Rich.
Thanks for a great post. But could you tell me what you mean by "correct letter-sized" paper. I have prepared my resume on A4 as that is what my computer defaults to but can I just select Letter in the paper option or is it something different - sorry to sound dim!

I arrive in Canada in March

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:58 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samfan101
Thanks for a great post. But could you tell me what you mean by "correct letter-sized" paper. I have prepared my resume on A4 as that is what my computer defaults to but can I just select Letter in the paper option or is it something different - sorry to sound dim!
Hi - A4 paper is not used here, it is 'letter size' which is shorter in length. People may look at A4 paper with some confusion, so better to Canadianize your presentation. Also means having to tweak resume as there is less space for all your details etc.

There are also some prior threads on this forum about the same thing if you use the search function.

Rich.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

I arrive in Canada in March

Thanks
yeah letter is an option BUT you need letter sized paper to print on as its wider but shorter than A4 - foolscap will do in a pinch...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:05 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS POST A STICKY!!!!
HEAR HEAR.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

samfan101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stubby1974
yeah letter is an option BUT you need letter sized paper to print on as its wider but shorter than A4 - foolscap will do in a pinch...

Thanks for your replies - is printing in an internet cafe an option as I won't have my own computer etc?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Nice post Rich, as usual.
have saved this post- to read once we are there and applying for jobs

thanks Rich for taking the time to write it
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

is printing in an internet cafe an option as I won't have my own computer etc?
I've used Internet cafes to check e-mails while I've been travelling, but have never had reason to ask whether or not I could use them for printing.

If you can't print at an Internet cafe, you could print at a place like Kinko's.

That said, the cost of that approach might add up.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

escort399 is on a distinguished road

Great Post!!!!! Most worthwhile to read and digest !!!!

Cheers to you ...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stubby1974
For printing you need LETTER (8.5" x 11") agreed, but if you email your resume you need to ensure your document page set-up is selected as LETTER, in the UK it defaults to A4. If you email your resume with this setting, a two page resume will turn into a two page plus and little extra. The file will look OK on screen, but when they print it out in Canada, there is a good chance they will only have LETTER sized paper in the printer, and thing will no longer have the professional look.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Hi Rich

I also enjoyed everything you wrote and thought I would share my experience. Like you say I was very nervous about applying for jobs and not feeling at all confident. I sat and wrote cover letters for a whole day and ended up with scrunched up paper all over my desk and on the floor around me. All I have is work experience and no formal qualifications. I have worked in retail as well as office work and thought my resume looked as if I was a jack of all trades and master of none. Following advice from this site and others I knew it was going to be all about looking confident and selling myself.

In the end up, I only posted one letter and within a few days I got called for an interview. The interview was the next day so I didn't even have time to worry about it. I took along all the references I had to get for immigration and also printed off copies of my police reports. As you say the interview style was very informal. I was dressed in my best and the two interviewers had on jeans and sweaters. We ended up chatting away for ages about his great grandfather who came over from England. They also told me that the fact that I had just arrived from Scotland and my resume style looked different made it stand out amongst the over a thousand other ones they received.

To cut a long story short, they offered me a position higher than the one I was applying for and after they send me for a weeks training, they'll renegotiate my salary according to my experience. It was a good idea to take along a copy of the police report as they sent it away to their head office. (the position involves handling a lot of cash). They agreed that if I could clear Canadian Immigration I obviously had a clean background.

Just thought I'd post a happy ending story for a change.

Higgy's Wife

P.S. It was alright for Higgy, he had a nice job set up before we even left Scotland!

P.P.S. Anybody in the building trade need not worry about getting work when you get out here, they are desperate for all trades people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.