Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Experience of flying to Canada during Covid

Experience of flying to Canada during Covid

Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of flying to Canada during Covid

Originally Posted by crofty82
We finally moved to Canada yesterday and are now, at least for the next six weeks, residents of Hamilton Mountain.

We flew with Air Transat from Gatwick to Pearson having stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott at the airport the night before our flight. The entire experience was, as you can imagine, very different from any previous flying experience. Regulations means those that are not medically exempt must wear a mask at all times during the flight (except for eating of course) and at both airports. The hotel was incredibly quiet and all meals and drinks needed to be ordered either via a tablet on the restaurant tables or by scanning a QR code in your room.

Both LGW and YYZ were also eerily quiet, again which is to be expected, and the flight was about 40% full. We couldn't get online check in to work on the Transat website so did it all at Gatwick and were asked a bunch of Covid-related questions in addition to the usual stuff. The in-flight experience was also very different as the offering was significantly streamlined; both the meal and the snack were fully enclosed in a box and the drinks menu was reduced. There was no duty-free shopping either, which meant the cabin crew (who were also masked up of course) had nothing to do for long periods of the flight.

Upon arrival at Pearson the plane was met by CBSA officers, who, much to the surprise of the cabin crew, said that anyone who hadn't completed the ArriveCAN app in advance had to fill out the paper form BEFORE disembarking. Those had had used the app could leave the plane immediately but had to show the code it generates to the officer upon disembarking.

TIP: if you use the app, fill it out for everyone in your party AND take a screenshot of the code it generates before closing it down, and save it in the photos on your phone. Luckily I had done this because when I opened the app again the code had vanished and could not be retrieved.

After leaving the plane it was the usual walk to the immigration kiosks, which, it seems the QR code scanners were not working on because I had filled out the eDeclaration app but it would not scan, so we entered the info manually, along with, again, Covid-specific questions on top of the usual ones. We then took the slip to the officer at the desk who again verbally repeated the Covid questions and asked us questions about our quarantine plan. Thankfully this was approved and we were on our way to the equally quiet baggage hall.

From there it was a taxi straight to our Airbnb and our quarantine begins. Hope this is helpful for anybody intending to fly soon.
Thank you for sharing, exciting times!

We are due to fly out on Friday. I downloaded and filled out the ArriveCAN app with mine and my family's information. Can you tell me what code they are looking for? Because on the page that says "Thank you for filling out your travel information" in the 'YOUR SUMMARY' section, it only tells me the Port of Entry, Arrival Date and Contact, and 3 travellers (with an edit button).

I took a screenshot of it, but can't see a code. Thanks.

Last edited by i_Seeker; Aug 5th 2020 at 9:04 am.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 1:11 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Thank you for sharing, exciting times!

We are due to fly out on Friday. I downloaded and filled out the ArriveCAN app with mine and my family's information. Can you tell me what code they are looking for? Because on the page that says "Thank you for filling out your travel information" in the 'YOUR SUMMARY' section, it only tells me the Port of Entry, Arrival Date and Contact, and 3 travellers (with an edit button).

I took a screenshot of it, but can't see a code. Thanks.
When you are done filling it out, it should give you a summary screen with a code:
Attached Thumbnails Experience of flying to Canada during Covid-img_7029.png  
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:00 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well it looks quite spacious and comfy at least. I don't know for how long they can continue to run flights with those passenger numbers though.
That was June.

We're in August...
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
That was June.

We're in August...
Yes but if you read the OP's earlier posts in this thread, his flight was only around 40% full and Transat are generally the "budget" option compared with Air Canada.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

When you are done filling it out, it should give you a summary screen with a code:
I got it now, thanks!

I had to do the for a couple of times, but it worked!
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:03 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Yes but if you read the OP's earlier posts in this thread, his flight was only around 40% full and Transat are generally the "budget" option compared with Air Canada.
I was (pleasantly) surprised they resumed flights to Europe at all, given that it's only citizens, residents and their immediate families that can enter atm.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I was (pleasantly) surprised they resumed flights to Europe at all, given that it's only citizens, residents and their immediate families that can enter atm.
It is quite strange, yes. I'm sure there are regulations or requirements on it that we're not aware of though. Airlines flight tooth and nail to secure routes in normal times and in most of the UK, AT are the only direct flight option to Canada.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

I got it now, thanks!

I had to do the for a couple of times, but it worked!
I am not getting any code. I get the summary and keep editing it but no code, ever. What am I missing?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bramallblade
I am not getting any code. I get the summary and keep editing it but no code, ever. What am I missing?
No idea what I am missing. No code...

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 13th 2020 at 4:35 am. Reason: reduced size of image :)
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Apologies for the size of that image. No idea why it is so large or how to change it.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Presuming I have to wait to submit until 48 hours before I arrive? Then I get a code. A bit more info on the app would be beneficial I feel.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

This is exactly what happened to me. This is what I did:

1. Exit the app.
2. Click on the entry by air again.
3. Continue the application to as far as it will take you.
4. If it doesn't take you to the code page, repeat from step 1.

I had to do it around 8 times before it worked.

Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

This is exactly what happened to me. This is what I did:

1. Exit the app.
2. Click on the entry by air again.
3. Continue the application to as far as it will take you.
4. If it doesn't take you to the code page, repeat from step 1.

I had to do it around 8 times before it worked.
Nope. Still nothing. I'm at an absolute loss as to what to do now. Did you do this in the 48 hour time frame before departure?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nope. Still nothing. I'm at an absolute loss as to what to do now. Did you do this in the 48 hour time frame before departure?
Yes, I started on Tuesday (flying out in the Friday), and the code was given to me on Wednesday.

Are you within the 48 hours?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I started on Tuesday (flying out in the Friday), and the code was given to me on Wednesday.

Are you within the 48 hours?
Not yet which I what I presume the issue is. As of 20:00 BST, I will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.