Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Experience of flying to Canada during Covid

Experience of flying to Canada during Covid

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:03 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of flying to Canada during Covid

Originally Posted by DMajor
How much was the ticket?
I have to go to LGW later this year, have they put the prices up to compensate for the low numbers travelling?
We flew Club Class (first time, wouldn't normally) so it was quite expensive, but the Economy tickets were about the same as normal - starting at 250gbp or so with no extras.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crofty82
We flew Club Class (first time, wouldn't normally) so it was quite expensive, but the Economy tickets were about the same as normal - starting at 250gbp or so with no extras.
That's good to hear, Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

what did your quarantine plan look like? do you have to quarantine in Toronto or could you travel to say Kingston or Ottawa?
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
How much was the ticket?
I have to go to LGW later this year, have they put the prices up to compensate for the low numbers travelling?
No, not especially. You can still get return fares from the UK to Toronto for around £350ish.
​​
I know the prices can be higher if you buy through the Canadian website though.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:56 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
They should be careful. If they keep treating people like garbage in that way then they may not have any tourism sector left when they finally see fit to so treating every other nation with hostility.

I'm glad your flight went OK though. It must be a bit of a weight off your mind.
I am curious as to what you mean here. I have read the post a few times and dont see any garbage treatment myself, what am I missing here?
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am curious as to what you mean here. I have read the post a few times and dont see any garbage treatment myself, what am I missing here?
No problem. Well this for a start.

Upon arrival at Pearson the plane was met by CBSA officers, who, much to the surprise of the cabin crew, said that anyone who hadn't completed the ArriveCAN app in advance had to fill out the paper form BEFORE disembarking.
It's not exactly welcoming or friendly is it.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:00 pm

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
what did your quarantine plan look like? do you have to quarantine in Toronto or could you travel to say Kingston or Ottawa?
We didn't have anything written down, we just entered the required details in the app - address, phone number, e-mail address etc. The CBSA officer verbally verified that we would be staying somewhere where we could successfully isolate and have food, medical supplies etc. delivered to us and was satisfied with our answers.

You don't have to quarantine in Toronto but you should only take one piece of (private) transport to your destination, in our case a taxi to Hamilton. The taxi incidentally had a screen between the front and back seats so our quarantine effectively began in the car.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:02 pm

To their credit though, the officers on the front line were very friendly and helpful.

I certainly didn't feel like I was treated like garbage. I've had much worse experiences in pre-Covid times.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:03 pm
Sidecar Falcon

You don't have to quarantine in Toronto but you should only take one piece of (private) transport to your destination, in our case a taxi to Hamilton. The taxi incidentally had a screen between the front and back seats so our quarantine effectively began in the car.
You can actually take public transit, including internal flights, to your final destination if you want to. You just have to take the most direct route possible or at least make an effort to show that you're taking the most direct route if asked. For many people this will be the only route such as people who will now need to connect via Toronto with Transat because some direct flights to the west coast have been cancelled.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I certainly didn't feel like I was treated like garbage.
Yeah, fair enough. Your experience was first hand and might hasn't been yet. I've just been going by what you and others have been saying and to be fair I haven't flown into the UK since all of this kicked off either. The UK is hardly the most friendly country to fly into at the best of times. Our airport security are among the worst in the world and one time I disembarked a plane in Manchester only to be greeted by a sniffer dog at my crotch.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:06 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. Well this for a start.

Honestly I think you are overthinking it. Sounds like they are just following a process to me.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Honestly I think you are overthinking it. Sounds like they are just following a process to me.
I guess my argument is that it's not really a very friendly or welcoming process in the first place but then again maybe it isn't supposed to be.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:16 pm
Happy

I guess my argument is that it's not really a very friendly or welcoming process in the first place but then again maybe it isn't supposed to be.
Are you familiar with the process on a normal day of entering Canada?
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:17 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Are you familiar with the process on a normal day of entering Canada?
Yep. Probably not to the extent that many others are on here but yeah I've definitely been through it a few times.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:21 pm
Happy

Yep. Probably not to the extent that many others are on here but yeah I've definitely been through it a few times.
I flew between Halifax and Boston regularly before Covid and honestly the US Border is unfriendlier, on a regular day. I dont have an issue with it, its a border, I think its meant to be strict and follow a policy. No biggie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.